(All fairly cheap contracts)

Cut
  • Antoine Bethea, SS
  • Colin Kaepernick, QB
  • Ahmad Brooks, OLB

Free Agents
  • Brian Hoyer, QB (2 years, $8 million)
  • AJ Bouye, CB (5 years, $50 million)
  • Kevin Zeitler, OG (4 years $40 million)
  • Johnathan Hankins, NT (4 years, $30 million)
  • Rex Burkhead, RB (3 years, $9 million)
  • Pierre Garcon, WR (3 years, $20 million)
(This is only ~$40 million against the cap for 2017 where our projected cap space is over $100 million with the releasing of Brooks, Bethea, and Kaepernick)

49ers Draft

• Browns Select Myles Garrett 1st overall
  • 49ers trade back with Browns to pick 12 and accumulate 2017 2nd and 3rd round picks, and 2018 1st and 2nd round picks
  • 49ers get a 4th round compensatory pick for Alex Boone

1(Browns). Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan

Trade the Browns' 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up to ~pick 20 overall
2. Takkarist McKinley, EDGE, UCLA

3. Pat Elflein, C, Ohio State

4. Jordan Willis, EDGE, Kansas State

4(Comp.). Davis Webb, QB, Cal

5. Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo

5(Redskins). Ben Boulware, LB, Clemson

6. Dalvin Tomlinson, DL, Alabama

6(Broncos). Demetrious Cox, S, Michigan State

7(Browns). Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn

7. Noel Thomas, WR, UConn

GM: Louis Riddick
HC: Josh McDaniels
OC: Brian Daboll
DC: Mike Vrabel

2017 Depth Chart
QB: Hoyer, Ponder, Webb
RB: Hyde, Burkhead, K Hunt, M Davis
WRx: T Smith, N Thomas
WRz: C Davis, E Rogers
WRy: Garcon, Kerley
TE: V McDonald, Celek, Bell
LT: Staley
LG: Garnett, Beadles
C: Elflein, Kilgore
RG: Zeitler, Tiller
RT: T Brown, Theus

LE: Armstead, Dial, Dorsey
NT: Hankins, I Williams
RE: Buckner, Blair
ROLB: McKinley, Harold
RILB: Armstrong, Hodges
LILB: Bowman, Boulware
LOLB: Lynch, J Willis
LCB: R Robinson, D Johnson
RCB: Bouye, Brock
NCB: Redmond, Reaser
FS: Ward, D Cox
SS: Reid, Tartt

LS: Nelson
K: Carlson
P: Pinion

*Note:
This gives us a young roster with some proven veterans mixed in that I think could push for a .500 season as early as next year.

We will also have two (probably early) 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks next year to give us ammo to trade up for one of the blue chip quarterbacks (Rosen, Darnold, etc.)
[ Edited by Cooper22 on Jan 4, 2017 at 9:11 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
QB situation is still not fixed in anyway with Hoyer, Webb and Ponder. If the 49ers miss on a QB in the 1st the new coach would still want one in the 2nd, I don't doubt that one bit.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
QB situation is still not fixed in anyway with Hoyer, Webb and Ponder. If the 49ers miss on a QB in the 1st the new coach would still want one in the 2nd, I don't doubt that one bit.

Not that I'd ever want to do anything resembling the Browns, but Hue Jackson went in there last year and was fine with accumulating picks, getting a veteran stop-gap qb, and drafting a mid-round qb, with possible intentions of drafting a 1st or 2nd overall qb in the next year's draft with said picks.
Originally posted by Cooper22:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Not that I'd ever want to do anything resembling the Browns, but Hue Jackson went in there last year and was fine with accumulating picks, getting a veteran stop-gap qb, and drafting a mid-round qb, with possible intentions of drafting a 1st or 2nd overall qb in the next year's draft with said picks.

And they will still be a disaster in five years...If you don't have a QB, you do everything in your power to get one, every single year, and if you are smart....you still keep picking them up when you find one just in case.
I really wouldn't be upset with this, it addresses a lot of key areas and it provides a second 1st round pick for next year to be able to address QB. You cover WR with Davis who I feel is going to be exceptional, you get an OLB in McKinley that I think is pretty underrated, an outstanding interior lineman in Elflein, Tomlinson is a great addition for DL depth, Webb as a true developmental QB, even if I think he is a longshot, Hunt at RB................all in all its a draft that provides a lot of value and fills a lot of needs.

Not too crazy about the signing of Hankins, bringing in a guy from a 4-3 when Brandon Williams who I see as a better overall player, coming straight out of a 3-4 defense will be available.

EDIT-Also McDonald and Armstrong have both been re-upped already.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 4, 2017 at 9:28 AM ]
Good post!

I don't see us picking that many FA - even though we need lots of improvement!

I think we could package our 3rd & 4th to mover up and get a better QB

Thanks for the work on this.

It's the only fun I've had all season.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good post!

Free agency is going to be very interesting, we are near a point where we will have to spend much closer to cap than we have been and we will have a whole new front office. It is very hard to tell if we are going to continue to lay back or going to try to make a big splash or somewhere in between, just filling holes.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I really wouldn't be upset with this, it addresses a lot of key areas and it provides a second 1st round pick for next year to be able to address QB. You cover WR with Davis who I feel is going to be exceptional, you get an OLB in McKinley that I think is pretty underrated, an outstanding interior lineman in Elflein, Tomlinson is a great addition for DL depth, Webb as a true developmental QB, even if I think he is a longshot, Hunt at RB................all in all its a draft that provides a lot of value and fills a lot of needs.

Not too crazy about the signing of Hankins, bringing in a guy from a 4-3 when Brandon Williams who I see as a better overall player, coming straight out of a 3-4 defense will be available.

EDIT-Also McDonald and Armstrong have both been re-upped already.

Love Williams too. Still remember wanting him in the draft coming out of some small school in Mississippi maybe?

Yeah, just wanted to include Ray Ray and Vance in that re-sign category anyway.
Worse draft scenario ever no qb help at all either but really stop reading after brian hoyer
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good post!

Free agency is going to be very interesting, we are near a point where we will have to spend much closer to cap than we have been and we will have a whole new front office. It is very hard to tell if we are going to continue to lay back or going to try to make a big splash or somewhere in between, just filling holes.

I'm a fan of bringing in some blue chip free agents who are coming off their rookie deals who are still young and maybe overpaying slightly if we have to. Zeitler, Bouye, Hankins are all 25-26 years old and just hitting their primes.

Originally posted by jerseyniner49:
Worse draft scenario ever no qb help at all either but really stop reading after brian hoyer

I think Hoyer would be a fine qb for a year or 2 under McDaniels while we rebuild. Accumulate talent around the qb position then get your guy.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Oooo Ward back as a ball hawking safety. Nice.
Getting picks for next seasons stacked QB class. Nice.
I think Carlson goes in the 6th.
I would go Poe over Hankins and use him over AA on pass rushing downs.
Not sold on Bouye. 5th most penalized CB in the league. Rather give Johnson a go.
Not bad but I would use the 2nd round pick on a qb with better skills and upside and use the 4th on a center
Originally posted by Cooper22:
Originally posted by jerseyniner49:

I think Hoyer would be a fine qb for a year or 2 under McDaniels while we rebuild. Accumulate talent around the qb position then get your guy.

I don't know, he is pretty bad. It might be a slight upgrade over what we have had in a few way, but not be enough to really notice, you could probably squeeze similar production out of Ponder. If we are going all in on not spending upper end draft capital on QB ( which I don't think we should), I would at least kick the tires on what it would cost for Cousins. Yeah its going to cost a pretty penny, but you cant keep going like this after the last few years with nobody at the most important position.
Originally posted by Rgonelove:
Not bad but I would use the 2nd round pick on a qb with better skills and upside and use the 4th on a center

I could live with this option if you gonna dig he bottom of the barrel for Hoyer. You need to get somebody who at least has potential to start in within the year.
Share 49ersWebzone