There are 189 users in the forums

Malik Hooker S Ohio State

Originally posted by ninerAxe:
Assuming Garrett is taken, we can't trade down and don't like the QBs, then who would you take? Besides Solomon Thomas, who fills the need for pass rush in our scheme, all the other prospects don't seem #2 worthy either. It's a maybe on Hooker, Fournette, Foster, either Davis or Williams. Won't be "good value" in the end but if we get a future stud then we won't care about value in hindsight.

fwiw I still think Trubisky is the likely pick.... for the moment.......

I would take a shutdown DB over a safety, I would take a pass rusher over a safety, I would take a WR over a safety and yes I'd take Mitch over a safety as well.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Assuming Garrett is taken, we can't trade down and don't like the QBs, then who would you take? Besides Solomon Thomas, who fills the need for pass rush in our scheme, all the other prospects don't seem #2 worthy either. It's a maybe on Hooker, Fournette, Foster, either Davis or Williams. Won't be "good value" in the end but if we get a future stud then we won't care about value in hindsight.

fwiw I still think Trubisky is the likely pick.... for the moment.......

I would take a shutdown DB over a safety, I would take a pass rusher over a safety, I would take a WR over a safety and yes I'd take Mitch over a safety as well.

That's fair. I at least wanted to consider Hooker as a possibility but our secondary is a strength especially with Ward likely moving to safety.

Personally at #2 I'd love Trubisky, Watson, Solomon, Fournette and maybe even Corey Davis who I think could be our Julio Jones.
[ Edited by ninerAxe on Feb 19, 2017 at 5:23 PM ]
That's fair. Personally at #2 I'd be fine with Trubisky, Solomon, Fournette and maybe even Corey Davis who I think could be our Julio Jones.

I won't be surprised if a qb gets drafted at two even if it's not us...there's a lot of ways we can go for sure
That's fair. Personally at #2 I'd be fine with Trubisky, Solomon, Fournette and maybe even Corey Davis who I think could be our Julio Jones.

I won't be surprised if a qb gets drafted at two even if it's not us...there's a lot of ways we can go for sure

Funny thing, that's been my same particular thought the last few years going into the draft. Not surprising considering whats happened, but hopefully when things get stable and improve it'll be more clear in the upcoming drafts.
[ Edited by ninerAxe on Feb 19, 2017 at 5:49 PM ]

Funny thing, that's been my same particular thought the last few years going into the draft. Not surprising considering whats happened, but hopefully when things get stable and improve it'll be more clear in the upcoming drafts.

Yup we have zero idea what lynch and Kyle value and the type of players we're looking for so this draft is gonna be a mystery. I'm actually pumped for that lol

Yup we have zero idea what lynch and Kyle value and the type of players we're looking for so this draft is gonna be a mystery. I'm actually pumped for that lol

Same! Always excitingly curious when the future is unknown especially combined with the sense that things are finally headed in the right direction (hopefully).
[ Edited by ninerAxe on Feb 19, 2017 at 7:41 PM ]
Any thoughts of drafting a S at #2 need to be dashed...immediately. The most important thing to upgrade on our defense is the front line...and now that includes a LB. The latter could be solved by signing Ingram. I'm hoping they also sign a stud DL...Kawann Short, Brandon Williams or Bennie Logan. Drafting a stud DL would make a lot more sense than a S, at least in the 1st rd. Saleh will have 4 DL on the LOS, Shanahan/Lynch must upgrade that part of the defense first, IMHO. I'd say only Armstead & Buckner from the current roster would be part of that group. Blair should be part of the rotation, & hopefully they'll re-sign Chris Jones. They'll need at least 6 DL, if not 7 to sustain Saleh's front line. I'd agree S is a position that needs help...but you strengthen the bigs up front first.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
I like this guy. Taking him at 2 tho .

I think he's a good player, but the comparisons to Ed Reed are a bit much. Let's remember that Trubisky gets grief for being a one year wonder and this kid falls in that category.

Ed Reed not so much but a closer comparison would be Devin McCourty which also a great safety.
For me, it's a matter of can the position of need be fortified in FA or later on in the draft? I don't see any relatively young and talented safeties on the FA market outside of berry, or any late round prospects that fit the need of a single high FS.

Other needs, however, can be addressed all over the draft and FA (edge, DL, lb)
Originally posted by HERN:
I like this guy. Taking him at 2 tho .

I think he's a good player, but the comparisons to Ed Reed are a bit much. Let's remember that Trubisky gets grief for being a one year wonder and this kid falls in that category.

Ed Reed not so much but a closer comparison would be Devin McCourty which also a great safety.

It's not so much comparisons to Ed Reed as it is where a lot of people including myself see what his ceiling could be. Greg Schiano himself however did compare Hooker to Reed and he would know better than anyone because he coached both players. Your right. He is raw, but for such a raw prospect he has such incredible range, and instincts off the charts.

I agree though on the number two pick. I like the kid alot and love the upside but I don't want to take him number two.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Feb 19, 2017 at 11:55 PM ]

ThIs defensive scheme is nothing without a deep safety able to cover ground. Hooker is one of the best safeties to come out in a long time.

Wouldn't it be fitting if Lynch's first pick is a safety? Just sayin
Draft BPA. Other than Jonathan Allen I don't think there is a better player available at 2.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Draft BPA. Other than Jonathan Allen I don't think there is a better player available at 2.

rather have solomon if we were going DE
If they are chasing after Pete Carrol's scheme, then I really wouldn't be surprised at overdrafting for a safety at #2.

That defense doesn't work at all without Earl Thomas.
Would love to see John Lynch's final safety list
Share 49ersWebzone