LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Malik Hooker S Ohio State

Originally posted by TheNef77:
Originally posted by Since07:
Why not draft this guy? I like the idea of having single high safety with Reid in the box and keep Ward in the slot.
Because Ward already has what it takes to be a great single high safety. Watch his college film

I haven't seen enough ball skills from Ward to say he would be a great single high safety.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Why not draft this guy? I like the idea of having single high safety with Reid in the box and keep Ward in the slot.
Because Ward already has what it takes to be a great single high safety. Watch his college film

I haven't seen enough ball skills from Ward to say he would be a great single high safety.

He's also been great in the slot, arguably the most important position on defense. Why change what's not broken?
I have a crush on this kid. If garret is gone and niners are not high on Trubisky id love for them to draft him.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place

He's also been great in the slot, arguably the most important position on defense. Why change what's not broken?

Wrong. DLine is the most important. Nickle is just situational.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I have a crush on this kid. If garret is gone and niners are not high on Trubisky id love for them to draft him.

He's one of the few players who makes it tempting to trade down.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

He's one of the few players who makes it tempting to trade down.

Agreed. I wouldn't be mad at a trade down to draft this kid
The more I watch the prospects this year, the more I think this kid is the best player in the entire draft. I wouldn't be mad if we drafted him at #2 overall.
With our move to a Seattle/Siefert 4-3, we might take safety at #2.

If they don't move Ward to his natural FS position and they don't like the QB's, who should we choose between for safety?

Malik Hooker or Jamal Adams? I think the former is much more of a fit in the scheme (ball-hawk with range) especially in today's pass happy league. He'll be our Earl Thomas
[ Edited by ninerAxe on Feb 19, 2017 at 9:39 AM ]
Originally posted by ninerAxe:

If they don't move Ward to his natural FS position and they don't like the QB's, who should we choose between for safety?

Malik Hooker or Jamal Adams? I think the former is much more of a fit in the scheme (ball-hawk with range) especially in today's pass happy league. He'll be our Earl Thomas
I like Hooker. I posted in another thread that he's a huge upside player. He doesn't have very much starting experience but he has tremendous range and instincts. He's a guy where if the light bulb goes off, I could easily see Ed Reed comparisons. If the niners go top five with him, I at least trust in that the current personnel department make up will have done extensive homework on him and feel that he can build into that upside.

Thats the risk with him. He's a raw prospect but man he has the potential to become a big star. I also think if the niners take him that it also signals that they still wanna leave Ward at corner.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Feb 19, 2017 at 1:18 PM ]

I would suggest watching his college games online. Dude's range from center field was crazy. Just needs to stay healthy off the freak foot injuries and stuff.

Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
I like Hooker. I posted in another thread that he's a huge upside player. He doesn't have very much starting experience but he has tremendous range and instincts. He's a guy where if the light bulb goes off, I could easily see Ed Reed comparisons. If the niners go top five with him, I at least trust in that the current personnel department make up will have done extensive homework on him and feel that he can build into that upside.

Thats the risk with him. He's a raw prospect but man he has the potential to become a big star. I also think if the niners take him that it also signals that they still wanna leave Ward at corner.

Agree. Also nobody better than a former safety and future HOF in Lynch to evaluate DB's. If Hooker is the pick then I'll trust Lynch on that one, just like Kyle for QBs.

Dude when's the last time a safety was the 2nd pick in the draft? That is ridiculous man. I like booker a ton but only in a trade down.

I'd rather put Ward at his natural position as a safety anyway. This draft is chalk full of great DB prospects
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Dude when's the last time a safety was the 2nd pick in the draft? That is ridiculous man. I like booker a ton but only in a trade down.

I'd rather put Ward at his natural position as a safety anyway. This draft is chalk full of great DB prospects

Would you take a rookie Eric Berry or Earl Thomas at number 2? I'd think about it.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Assuming Garrett is taken, we can't trade down and don't like the QBs, then who would you take? Besides Solomon Thomas, who fills the need for pass rush in our scheme, all the other prospects don't seem #2 worthy either. It's a maybe on Hooker, Fournette, Foster, either Davis or Williams. Won't be "good value" in the end but if we get a future stud then we won't care about value in hindsight.

fwiw I still think Trubisky is the likely pick.... for the moment.......
Originally posted by Nuns:
Would you take a rookie Eric Berry or Earl Thomas at number 2? I'd think about it.

No I wouldn't and you can't think about hindsight stuff, plus we have three young safeties.

Safeties are not as valuable as other positions
Share 49ersWebzone