LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 212 users in the forums

Malik Hooker S Ohio State

Best safety in college ball? Seen comparisons to Ed Reed and for once they seem appropriate but he would have to change his mind on applying for the draft.
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Dec 31, 2016 at 5:17 PM ]
What range he has very impressed
  • NM16
  • Veteran
I hear he is not declaring this year or something
7 INT; He just picked off one against Clemson.

I think if anyone is looking for secondary help, him, and Kevin King would be a great help to any team.
He does remind me a lot of Ed Reed. Perfect ball hawk safety.
Originally posted by SheHateMe:

Was gonna say he's a lot lot Ed Reed.
Originally posted by TheRambler:
Originally posted by SheHateMe:

Was gonna say he's a lot lot Ed Reed.

Agreed. Kid covers a ton of ground back there
Originally posted by NM16:
I hear he is not declaring this year or something

Ohio State redshirt sophomore S Malik Hooker will forego his final two seasons of collegiate eligibility to enter the 2017 NFL Draft.
This draft is absolutely loaded with defensive talent..
He's a good player I think he goes before Peppers.

Originally posted by SFBuckeye:
He's a good player I think he goes before Peppers.

he defeinitely will
hooker is a much better prospect he literally has ed reed potential

peppers has the physical gifts and huge playmaking potential with ball in his hand and he is also a good tackler and decent instincts but he does have to get coached up in terms of coverage assignments

best S class ever imo

adams and hooker both top 10 worthy
Hooker & Cam Robinson are the only 2 guys who make it tempting to trade down.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Hooker & Cam Robinson are the only 2 guys who make it tempting to trade down.

OT is one of the only positions we don't have an immediate need. I can't imagine us moving on from Staley anytime soon and Brown is good enough to start. Robinson could fall to the 20s anyways, so he's someone we could potentially trade up for, not trade down for.

The 3-4 similarly rated QBs make it tempting to trade down if someone really wants Jonathan Allen. I'd much rather have Trubisky/Kizer/Watson at 7-8 and pick up a 2nd round pick (and maybe a future pick as well) than take one of them at 2. Don't even care if we "lose" the trade based on the pick value chart. The only player worth 2600 points in a normal draft is Garrett and he'll probably be gone.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Jan 3, 2017 at 4:53 PM ]
NFL Media draft analyst Bucky Brooks wrote that Ohio State S Malik Hooker is "a pure centerfielder with speed, athleticism, ball skills and tackling ability."

"That's why Hooker is a hot commodity in the scouting circles as an Ed Reed-like safety with a penchant for delivering big plays between the hashes," Brooks noted. "He finished the regular season with seven interceptions, including three pick-sixes, while exhibiting terrific range and anticipation as a deep middle defender." The 6-foot-2, 205-pounder has top-10 talent for the draft. Bucky Brooks' partner-in-crime on the Move the Sticks podcast, Daniel Jeremiah, wrote near the end of November that Hooker "has the best ball skills of any defensive back in the country."

Source: NFL.com

I think he could go in top 10, will battle with Jamal Adams for 1st safety taken.
I think he's a solid pick for us at #2.

I'm not crazy about any of the QBs, and think we should fill our QB need with players in the league who are backups (Garoppolo, Calahan, Hundley, Boykin) and a vet to be a stopgap. A franchise QB is at the top of my list, but you can't force it, and this year, no one stands out. OL is the other massive need but certainly no one worthy of the top 10 pick there. So that leaves TE (no top 10 worthy), RB (1 or 2 will go top 10, but I'm not sure either of them is AP or Elliott caliber) and WR. Corey Davis certainly intrigues me.

on the defensive side I like Garrett, Allen (another 3-4 DE in the 1st though??), Foster and Hooker. I don't think Garrett gets to us and we just can't draft another DT/34 DE in the first. That leaves Hooker and Foster.

So my top 3 choices at our pick are: Hooker, Foster and Davis

One thing I learned from Baalke is to not be greedy. He was a master of turning the 2nd overall pick into 8 other picks, and instead of getting one true stud, would get 8 crappy players. I think we need good players, even if we do "over draft" them. Whatever that means
Share 49ersWebzone