LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 311 users in the forums

Trade the #2?

• fan49
  • Veteran
if its not garrett, you trade back. There is not one qb worth more than jimmy g. These qb's in the draft are boom or bust. And both need to sit for 3 years. Guess what Jimmy G did already. And he played extremely well in 2 games, against playoff teams, with no gronk. If we are thinking about using the first pick on any qb, yes I throw it to the pats. Theres not one piece of evidence that shows watson or trubs is better than JImmy. There is only what better option at qb in the whole offseason. Thats cousins... And we know thats not happening... Please don't speak about the money hell get vs, the draft picks. Jed is not spending the savings anyway
[ Edited by fan49 on Jan 3, 2017 at 11:38 AM ]
Do you think NE would trade #2 pick for Jimmy G and shoot us back their late round #1 2017 pick? Might be a win/win...
[ Edited by pete98146 on Jan 3, 2017 at 12:16 PM ]
Originally posted by pete98146:
Do you think NE would trade #2 pick for Jimmy G and shoot us back their late round #1 2017 pick? Might be a win/win...

Alex Smith was playing very well before his concussion, and brought two second round picks. Garapolo has done next to nothing in the NFL...I would not use more than a second rounder for the guy. Why not just take Trubisky with the second pick? Younger, and more accurate.

On the other hand, there are reports that Cleveland will take Trubisky which will drop Garrett to the niners.

Moving from #2 to #31/32(let's be honest that's probably where they're picking) is worth more than 2 2nd round picks. The trade charts don't work like they used to but it's about 2000 points difference from #2 to #31. Top of round 2 is worth 580. So even if we traded the best 2nd round pick possible x 2 it's still 2000 points vs 1160. More than a 2nd round pick difference.

To me the max we should offer is an Alex Smith like trade.

2nd round pick this year(pretty much like a #1)
3rd round pick next year conditional up to a 2nd round pick if we make the playoffs :)

I think it makes sense for the Pats to trade him because this draft is deep at positions that can really help them - pass rusher and corner.

They can use their first round pick and our 2nd round pick to get their defense to another level and help them win more SBs while Brady is still playing.
Mike Williams 2nd overall
Garrett if Cleveland takes Trubisky, then trade the second (almost equal to NE's first) for Garoppolo. That would help solve the niners two greatest needs.
I'd feel more comfortable keeping the pick. Especially if Myles Garrett is available. He's as safe a pass rushing prospect as you will find. No guarantees, but he profiles as a very, very good NFL player. We need to make sure we hit on our draft picks.

If the right deal comes along, some team offers a bounty of picks, we have to at least consider it. However, we don't even know who our front office is yet, so its hard for me to feel confident about a trade down. If it was Bill Walsh trading down stocking up picks, I'd feel pretty confident because he had a long history of turning those picks into quality players. The new front office will be a complete unknown.

NE might get the 32nd pick. That would be a little too much to give them IMO
Originally posted by suckafree17:

• 9moon
  • Veteran
TRADE 2ND OVERALL TO TENNESSEE'S TWO 1ST ROUNDERS, DEMARCO MURRAY AND EXTRA PICKS..

DRAFT: COREY DAVIS AND MIKE WILLIAMS (WRs)

JOE STALEY; ARIK ARMSTEAD AND A 3RD (2017) FOR GRAPPY

THEN WE SEND LYNCH AND OUR 2ND (2017) TO PITTSBURGH AND LAND THE BEST ILB AVAILABLE..

Originally posted by JustinNiner:

I wouldn't be against that as long as Garrett is gone and Jimmy G is traded for..i really think the kid is going to be a star..
  • Kelv
  • Veteran
The reason to trade back would be if we get offered a package that include a first in the 2017 & 2018 drafts. There clearly isn't a QB that is actually worthy of being a top 10 pick and if we were to tade back but stay inside the Top 10 then we can get a top player (Foster for example) in a position of need without over drafting them. That would also put us in a position to manoeuvre in 2018 to get one of the top quality QB's expected to come out then. We could still draft a QB in the 2nd this year if one of them drops and if he pans out great.
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

I wouldn't be against that as long as Garrett is gone and Jimmy G is traded for..i really think the kid is going to be a star..

Garrett is absolutely gone with 1st pick. Top picks are cornerstone players and other than Garrett nobody stands out as the clear top pick. Imagine Mike Williams and Terrell Prior with Torrey Smith as our WR corps and somehow we get Nick Caserio and McDaniels....Of course getting JG won't be cheap but that would be a hell of a start over....
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Garrett if Cleveland takes Trubisky, then trade the second (almost equal to NE's first) for Garoppolo. That would help solve the niners two greatest needs.

we should gauge what other offers the Pats receive for Jimmy G first , but count me in for not wanting to send them our first , knowing Beli-cheat, he will probably flip that pick into a bunch of picks, that puts them in a position to compete for the super bowl for another 5-6 years
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
we should gauge what other offers the Pats receive for Jimmy G first , but count me in for not wanting to send them our first , knowing Beli-cheat, he will probably flip that pick into a bunch of picks, that puts them in a position to compete for the super bowl for another 5-6 years

Yes, that seems to be his MO! I just don't know that Garappolo is the guy to hand the franchise to, which is what the niners would be doing. Competition is a better way to go...a 1st or 2nd rounder along with a later pick for QB.
Share 49ersWebzone