There are 154 users in the forums

Trade the #2?

• fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
GOD damn, hell NO!!!! What is anyone thinking if trading down is in their minds...my god...We need a QB..!

And garrapolo has proven right now he's worth more than trubs or Watson. So what. I'll puke if we grab a QB at 2.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by okdkid:
NO!!

Enough of stockpiling picks and drafting a truckload of scrubs who can't even make the 53, let alone contribute.

Is time to focus on quality rather than quantity.

Draft a few top talents to set a solid foundation for the franchise to build off from.

That's precisely why they'd trade back...

No, no, I don't need to trade back to turn them into a million picks.

All I want is a few legit high impact players and we can build from that very special nucleus.

I am not going to take any more BS moves like drafting 4 DBs and a QB in the 6th round again. Enough is enough, we need proper star players!

But your 100% hypocritical if you think dropping 2 for 10 a second and a 3rd won't be better that 2 34 and 66. I'll take an early first 2 2nds and 2 3rds all day
I see where your mistaken though. Any one trading for a top 2 pick is not using a 5th or a 6th lol. It's all 1st and second day picks
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Way to go is grab Myles at #2 and trade for Garoppolo.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

There is no better outcome than this
id trade the #2(if Garrett isn't there)and add as much talent as possible to the roster(1st ,2nd in 17' and 18). We suck and it's going to be a 3 or 4 year rebuild. Let other teams screw up and reach for quarterbacks and trade for Garappolo. I wouldn't give a 2nd for him let alone a 1st and 4th.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

That will never happen without a 1st.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
NO!!

Enough of stockpiling picks and drafting a truckload of scrubs who can't even make the 53, let alone contribute.

Is time to focus on quality rather than quantity.

Draft a few top talents to set a solid foundation for the franchise to build off from.

That's precisely why they'd trade back...

No, no, I don't need to trade back to turn them into a million picks.

All I want is a few legit high impact players and we can build from that very special nucleus.

I am not going to take any more BS moves like drafting 4 DBs and a QB in the 6th round again. Enough is enough, we need proper star players!

But your 100% hypocritical if you think dropping 2 for 10 a second and a 3rd won't be better that 2 34 and 66. I'll take an early first 2 2nds and 2 3rds all day
I see where your mistaken though. Any one trading for a top 2 pick is not using a 5th or a 6th lol. It's all 1st and second day picks

No, the point is the No.2 pick cannot be touched, that will be used on a franchise QB. And if you think Garoppolo is the guy as opposed to taking a Trubisky or Watson, you will still need a 1st round pick somewhere to make the deal happen.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

I think a 2nd in '17 and '18 can get it done.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

I think a 2nd in '17 and '18 can get it done.

So, you have finally made up your mind that you would rather have Garoppolo than Trubisky right?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
So, you have finally made up your mind that you would rather have Garoppolo than Trubisky right?

Yeah, as of now, but things can change.

• Rascal
  • Veteran

Yeah, as of now, but things can change.

As you know, I am cool with that, but I just have my doubts that 2 x 2nd will get it done.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
As you know, I am cool with that, but I just have my doubts that 2 x 2nd will get it done.

Yeah, maybe an additional pick will help sweeten the pot. Maybe, a fourth or something.

Why, because that is what New England is reportedly asking for? If they are looking to trade him they will have to accept less than that. Don't see any team giving up a 1st round pick for a QB with less than 2 career starts who is on the verge of a huge payday when they can just draft a QB and have them on a cheap deal for 4 to 5 years.

You can look back at the Matt Schaub trade where the Falcons got two second rounders but a key difference there is that rookie QB's were getting pretty hefty paydays, especially the guys picked early. That isn't the case anymore and drafting a QB gives you a bargain deal.
As always - it depends on the offer.
This. However, I think it's very unlikely that we'll receive a worthy offer. Almost every trade into the top five in recent history has been for a QB and, at this point, it doesn't look like any of the QB's are worth it. I guess we can hope someone falls in love with Jonathan Allen enough to trade up but if Garrett is there we'd need a Goff/Wentz-like offer.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Why, because that is what New England is reportedly asking for? If they are looking to trade him they will have to accept less than that. Don't see any team giving up a 1st round pick for a QB with less than 2 career starts who is on the verge of a huge payday when they can just draft a QB and have them on a cheap deal for 4 to 5 years.

You can look back at the Matt Schaub trade where the Falcons got two second rounders but a key difference there is that rookie QB's were getting pretty hefty paydays, especially the guys picked early. That isn't the case anymore and drafting a QB gives you a bargain deal.

I've been in the camp that it'll take a 1st even before the report came out that NE was asking for one. Alex Smith got two 2nds and he had clear limitations. Bradford went for a 1st, even though that trade was made under unusual circumstances. Even if they got a 2nd for him that could be used as an argument as to why Garappolo would go for a 1st.

Garappolo's value has appreciated significantly since he was drafted in the 2nd round. He played like an elite QB against two playoff teams and on the road against a team with playoff talent. Not to mention Gronk didn't play in any of those games. Additionally look at all the teams that need QB's in a draft that is in low supply - CLE, SF, CHI, NYJ, AZ, BUF, HOU (NYJ and HOU are maybes). Someone will pull the trigger on a 1st.
[ Edited by Draftology on Dec 31, 2016 at 4:58 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone