There are 217 users in the forums

Trade the #2?

Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by dj43:
I fully agree that getting a quality QB is the #1 priority for any team. So let's leave the trade down option out of it for now; if the Browns take one of those two, thereby leaving Garrett on the board, would you pass on Garrett and take the remaining QB?

That would be a huge strategic decision.

I will say this, if you take Garrett, don't expect him to be a game changer in the context of the win/loss column cos that just won't happen.
If he can have the same impact as Aldon Smith did, without the negatives, it would be meaningful toward wins.

It will also mean by taking Garrett you are essentially forfeiting the golden opportunity of taking a top FQB talent, at least as far as this coming draft is concerned.
If none of the QBs are deemed FQB material, why draft them with the second pick? You don't fill a need with an inferior player just because. I really like Trubisky but if the niners new GM/HC don't see him as such I'm fine with them trading back and taking a QB later. They could trade back to low teens and then back up for a late first as they did last year. Right now CBS has Trubisky as the first QB at #13, and then Watson at #14. If that holds true it will indicate they are not truly seen as FQBs and the niners might be able to get one after trading back.

Which brings me to the point of the need to have a top 1st round pick in order to have a chance to pick a top FQB prospect. If you do that, you better hope and pray the 9ers will be fxxked in 2017 in order to land a top 1st round pick again because that is just so essential if you want to pick a FQB. So, the question is are we all ready for another 2-14 or worse season? Cos last you want will be to trade up to the top of the 1st as it will cost an arm and a leg.
If the niners trade back and pick up a future #1 they could be in great shape to go after a FQB next year. That may seem sad to many who want an immediate fix, but a good GM never sacrifices for an inferior player. My wish is for them to take at least two young QBs this year and hope a Prescott falls into their hands. Having two guys compete for the backup job and future starting job is a good way to test their mettle.

Another question is, we are not going to hear the same ole story of "this year's QB class is really thin" again in 2018, are we? If you are forfeiting this year, you better have a clear QB target for 2018. Who might that be? Lamar Jackson? Who?
Agree...you don't wait because a particular player may be available. You do the best you can this year and then again each year.

All in all, to me while impulse might scream Garrett is a super sexy pick, I think the wise decision will be to stay true to myself and take a QB.

Trust me, is human nature, may be right now most might say I don't give a sh*t as long as we land Garrett. But, just you wait when we are 0-8 at the mid-season point next season, you can be sure sh*t will fly and people will lose their plots.
If Garrett will be a great OLB for years to come and Trubisky will be a Sanchez...there is only one choice.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 14, 2017 at 9:43 AM ]
Now that Trubisky has declared I think a few teams would be willing to move up to #2 to grab him if the Browns take Garrett. If Garrett is available at 2 we either take him or look at offers because I guarantee some one will be willing to pay through the nose for him. Personally I would love Garrett.
Browns reporter considers a potential Browns-49ers draft pick trade

The 49ers could pick up a nice haul of picks in a trade of the No. 2 pick. What would it take for you to make a move?

The Cleveland Browns hold serious draft capital in 2017, with the top pick and the No. 12 pick in the first round. They acquired the latter pick from the Philadelphia Eagles in a move that also netted them a second round pick in 2018. They also hold a pair of second round picks this year thanks to moving down further in a deal with the Tennessee Titans.

Having those kinds of day one and day two draft picks puts the Browns in position to do virtually anything they want on the draft board. Browns ESPN writer Pat McManamon decided to run with that and came up with a big trade suggestion. This is entirely just a though exercise by the writer; there are no rumors of such a trade.

The author suggests the Browns attempt to move up from No. 12 in the first round to No. 2 or 3. The idea is that the Browns have the capital to move up and could lock up arguably the two best players on their overall draft board. Maybe they stack on defense with Myles Garrett and Jonathan Allen. Or maybe they draft Garrett and a quarterback. I personally think they could wait on a quarterback at No. 12, but they have options.

The Browns would have to wait until draft day to know what is available at the Bears No. 3 pick, but the No. 2 pick could be dealt anytime between now and draft day. He suggested a potential deal that sends the San Francisco 49ers second overall pick to the Browns in exchange for the No. 12 pick, the No. 33 overall pick at the top of the second round, the second round pick Cleveland acquired from Tennessee (No. 52 overall), and the 2018 second round pick Cleveland acquired from Philadelphia.

The author used the traditional draft trade value chart. People will find different values depending on their trade value chart, but for purposes of this purely hypothetical discussion, it is a good starting point.

There are a lot of questions about the talent at the top of the draft board. On the one hand, it makes sense to try and trade down. On the other hand, if other teams agree that there is not a sure-fire thing, they will push back on trade talks. I suppose my thought is you hope someone is particularly high on a quarterback or Jonathan Allen. Maybe then the 49ers would have at least a little leverage in trade talks.

Would you do a deal like this if the Browns presented it? The Browns and Titans are the two teams that would have the best chance to make this kind of move. Any other team would likely require more 2018 picks in any kind of deal. What would it take for you to make a move down? Or do you think there is a player so clearly worth taking at No. 2 that it would have to be the proverbial Godfather offer?
http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/1/13/14267390/browns-49ers-draft-pick-trade-2017-nfl-draft
^^Ronnie--unless the niners believe in Trubisky I'd make that trade. Too many good players are needed to give it up. But that assumes they have an idea who would be available at #12 that they could grab!

Edit: according to CBS TRubisky is at #12 on their board but will be drafted at @ #1 or #2.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 14, 2017 at 6:38 PM ]
i kind of agree with that turd grant cohn, we should trade back a few slots and let someone else bite the bullet on trubisky. I want Mike Williams and another 1st rounder for next year where the QB class should be better. we are not one qb away from doing anything. get the playmakers and build the O line for the new QB to step in and actually have a chance to succeed.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
^^Ronnie--unless the niners believe in Trubisky I'd make that trade. Too many good players are needed to give it up. But that assumes they have an idea who would be available at #12 that they could grab!

Edit: according to CBS TRubisky is at #12 on their board but will be drafted at @ #1 or #2.

Agreed dtg. The one thing for sure is that it will be genuinely fun to watch the draft for the first time in a long while!

What's the over/under on players with ACL injuries taken by the Niners this draft?
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Agreed dtg. The one thing for sure is that it will be genuinely fun to watch the draft for the first time in a long while!

What's the over/under on players with ACL injuries taken by the Niners this draft?

I'll take the under unless everyone refuses to work for the niners and they have to drag back the old guys who are still being paid!
Im a fan of the browns trade. At #12, there will be a really good player who fills a need. One of:
- Watson/Kizer/Trubisky
- Mike Williams / Corey Davis
- Derek Barnett
- Rueben Foster

Will be there. For example, we could take Mike Williams in the 1st, then trade 2017+2018 2nd rounders for Garropolo. Than still draft Carl Lawson + Jarad Davis in the 2nd.
Share 49ersWebzone