There are 196 users in the forums

Mock Offseason v. 1

Below is my first stab at a complete mock offseason. I understand that it requires some wishful thinking to get that coaching staff and lure a few of the free agents but I'd like to think that money talks more than anything and we have a lot of it. With the cuts below, we would sit around $110m available to spend. I believe my FA signings + returning players + draft picks only bring that down to $65m so if you think I underpaid some FA's, we still have plenty of money to tack on.

Front Office
Fire Trent Baalke: Pretty self explanatory here. The 2011 draft class he once hung his hat on is garbage now. Nothing from 2012 and almost nothing from 2013. Not good enough.

GM: Scott Pioli: Has a great resume. Gets a lot of heat for the Chiefs a few years ago, but many of the players he selected are the foundation for the current team. It kind of reminds me of the McCloughan situation in SF - you can't truly evaluate a GM for a few seasons after he's gone. He's currently the assistant GM for another successful team in ATL.

Coaching
Fire Chip Kelly: It looks terrible to have two one-and-done coaches in a row but this is necessary. We somehow regressed from Tomsula and we have no foundation to build on.

HC: Josh McDaniels: It's a long shot that he'd pick SF but anointing Pioli the GM helps our chances. His time in Denver was short but not horrific. Offensively he knows what he's doing and has years of experience under one of the greatest coaches of all time.
OC: Mike McCoy: He's going to get fired in SD. Worked under McDaniels in Denver. Made Tebow look good and resurrected Philip Rivers.
DC: Mike Vrabel (Rex Ryan in previous edit): Another member of the Patriot coaching tree. Declined Chip's offer this past offseason. Accepts McDaniels' offer as he has a better opportunity to succeed.

Free Agency
QB Brian Hoyer 2yr $9.5m - Played for McDaniels in NE. One of the only spots that will let him walk in day 1 as the starter.

QB TJ Yates - veteran minimum

RB Danny Woodhead 2yr $10.5m $3.5m guaranteed - Played under McDaniels in NE. Adds some versatility to our offense.

WR Alshon Jeffery 5yr $75m $30m guaranteed - He's not a top 5 WR but we have to pay him like it...2nd highest paid WR in the NFL. It's the only way to make this happen, but I really do think he'd take the cash and it would be worth it to get our offense off the ground.

G Kevin Zeitler 4yr $39m $15m guaranteed - Similar to Jeffery, we have to overpay to get him here.

T William Beatty 2yr $7.5m $2m guaranteed

ILB Sean Weatherspoon 4yr $26m $12m guaranteed - Playing OLB in a 4-3 now but has the size and athleticism to kick inside.

S DJ Swearinger 3yr $12.5m $5.5m guaranteed

K Robbie Gould 1yr $1.5m

Resign/Tender
WR Jeremy Kerley 1yr $2m
RB Shaun Draughn 1 yr $2m
G Andrew Tiller 2yr $5.5m
DT Glenn Dorsey 2yr $5m

Cut/Opt-Out
QB Colin Kaepernick
TE Blake Bell
C Marcus Martin
OLB Ahmad Brooks
S Antoine Bethea

Draft

Trade 2nd (34) and 3rd (66) picks for 1st (20), 5th (148), and 6th (180)

1(2): Myles Garrett OLB Texas A&M - No explanation needed. If he's there we need to take him. Don't even think about trading down.

1(20): Deshaun Watson QB Clemson - We trade up and get our guy. Most people would think if we get McDaniels, we'd trade for Garappolo. However, knowing a guy doesn't overcome a talent discrepancy and Watson has it all physically. Intangibles all check out. He just needs to get more consistent and McDaniels can help with that.

4(129): Pharaoh Brown TE Oregon - Very few 4th rd picks can come in and immediately provide value to a rookie QB but Brown potentially can. He's big and athletic.

4(Comp): Dalvin Tomlinson NT
5(148): Hardy Nickerson ILB Illinois
5(161): Jon Toth C Kentucky
6(180): Fred Ross WR Mississippi St
6(194): Dymonte Thomas S Michigan
7(211): Dwayne Thomas CB LSU
7(212): Sam Rogers FB Virginia Tech

Depth Chart
Offense
QB: Hoyer/Watson*/Yates
RB: Hyde/Woodhead/Draughn
FB: Rogers*
WR1: Jeffery/Rogers
WR2: Smith/Ross*
Slot: Kerley/Ellington
TE: McDonald/Brown*/Celek
LT: Staley/Beatty
LG: Garnett/Beadles
C: Kilgore/Toth*
RG: Zeitler/Tiller
RT: Brown/Theus

Defense
LDE: Buckner/Blair
NT: Dorsey/Tomlinson*
RDE: Armstead/Dial
LOLB: Garrett*/Carradine
LILB: Weatherspoon/Nickerson*
RILB: Bowman/Armstrong
ROLB: Lynch/Harold
LCB: Brock/Robinson/Thomas*
FS: Reid/Swearinger
SS: Tart/Thomas*
RCB: Ward/Redmond/Johnson

Special Teams
K: Gould
P: Pinion
LS: Nelson
[ Edited by Draftology on Dec 27, 2016 at 6:05 PM ]
Surprised we're not trading for Garoppolo, if we're getting McDaniels at HC. He'd definitely want a QB who knows his system.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Surprised we're not trading for Garoppolo, if we're getting McDaniels at HC. He'd definitely want a QB who knows his system.

I see that argument and that's a potential direction. I just think knowing the system is a short-term thing. If Watson is more talented, he'll provide more long term upside.
[ Edited by Draftology on Dec 27, 2016 at 4:37 PM ]

Yup, would think Jacksonville looks good to them.
Caldwell might be set on keeping Bortles. He didn't have an awesome year, but he's not consistently terrible, and you don't need the longest memory to recall when he looked very promising.

Who knows, though? There's a lot of talent on that roster, and Caldwell saps he'd give up some control to get the right guy.
Liked everything but Ryan. Can't stand that pompous idiot.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Liked everything but Ryan. Can't stand that pompous idiot.

He's got a lot of $$ still coming in, too. Could easily pull a Pettine and take the year off.
I think McDaniels could probably pull Vrabel in, which would be pretty cool.
Draft

Trade 2nd (34) and 3rd (66) picks for 1st (20), 5th (148), and 6th (180)

1(2): Myles Garrett OLB Texas A&M - No explanation needed. If he's there we need to take him. Don't even think about trading down.

1(20): Deshaun Watson QB Clemson - We trade up and get our guy. Most people would think if we get McDaniels, we'd trade for Garappolo. However, knowing a guy doesn't overcome a talent discrepancy and Watson has it all physically. Intangibles all check out. He just needs to get more consistent and McDaniels can help with that.

4(129): Pharaoh Brown TE Oregon - Very few 4th rd picks can come in and immediately provide value to a rookie QB but Brown potentially can. He's big and athletic.

4(Comp): Dalvin Tomlinson NT
5(148): Hardy Nickerson ILB Illinois
5(161): Jon Toth C Kentucky
6(180): Fred Ross WR Mississippi St
6(194): Dymonte Thomas S Michigan
7(211): Dwayne Thomas CB LSU
7(212): Sam Rogers FB Virginia Tech

Depth Chart
Offense
QB: Hoyer/Watson*/Yates
RB: Hyde/Woodhead/Draughn
FB: Rogers*
WR1: Jeffery/Rogers
WR2: Smith/Ross*
Slot: Kerley/Ellington
TE: McDonald/Brown*/Celek
LT: Staley/Beatty
LG: Garnett/Beadles
C: Kilgore/Toth*
RG: Zeitler/Tiller
RT: Brown/Theus

Defense
LDE: Buckner/Blair
NT: Dorsey/Tomlinson*
RDE: Armstead/Dial
LOLB: Garrett*/Carradine
LILB: Weatherspoon/Nickerson*
RILB: Bowman/Armstrong
ROLB: Lynch/Harold
LCB: Brock/Robinson/Thomas*
FS: Reid/Swearinger
SS: Tart/Thomas*
RCB: Ward/Redmond/Johnson

Special Teams
K: Gould
P: Pinion
LS: Nelson
Looks pretty solid to me If Garrett is gone i'd take Trubisky/Watson and still trade back into the first for pick 20 to grab a WR (Davis/Williams/Ross).
[ Edited by 16_to_80 on Dec 27, 2016 at 5:33 PM ]
Not bad. Like some of the choices

This.
I tried to find a solid defensive connection to McDaniels for a while and none seemed to fit well. Vrabel didn't even cross my mind. Great call.
[ Edited by Draftology on Dec 27, 2016 at 5:47 PM ]
we are going to have to grossly overpay at least one playmaker to get them to come here. i think alshon jeffery is worth it. i dont want josh mcdaniels as our HC
don't like rex... Marcel Dareus says his scheme was to complex and it hurt the team...

This...going the NE route and not getting the young qb that knows the system.
Share 49ersWebzone