LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 309 users in the forums

The age old debate.

The age old debate.

Originally posted by Heroism:
right, i meant from the perspective of the mainstream masses.

True - he'll get a ton of hype from the media and on the webzone if he wins another championship. Rascal will be begging us to trade up to #1 for him.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Will Trubby fit in Kelly's Machine Gun Offense??

Will Garrett's development be as slow as Jadaveon???

Just how did Trubisky's stock rise from a low 1st rounder to a possible TOP 3??

Can Garrett play the OLB under 3 - 4 or is he a pure DE ??
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Watson is easy - he's probably two inches shorter, less athletic, and his stats are nowhere near as good as Mariota's were in college even though both of them had elite talent around them and played in simple offenses. He is probably a little less accurate than Mariota was. He's not going to be a top 15 pick, let alone a top 2 pick. They have similar arm strength, so I don't know what you like more about Watson that makes up for everything else.

Mariota's stats his junior year: 68.3% completion, 10.0 Y/A, 42 TDs, 4 INTs, 181.7 passer rating.
Watson's stats his junior year: 67.6% completion, 8.0 Y/A, 37 TDs, 15 INTs, 154.0 passer rating.

Trubisky has only had one great year in college and doesn't have the athleticism of Watson let alone Mariota. He has similar arm strength to both of them (good, but not elite). He's 6'2-6'3 with decent athleticism, a pretty good arm, good accuracy, and one year of production in college.

You brought up goff and wentz as well there's no reason IMO why Mitch and Watson can't be rated as high as them. Marcus was more based on similarities and issues like scheme I won't disagree that he should be graded higher that the guys coming out this yr.

Goff was the #1 pick and had never beat a top 25 team and was coming from a air raid offense...wentz and Trubisky will each have about the same passing attempts all said in done and he played in the FCS yet went 2 overall.

I will bet money two qbs go in the top 10.
I am going against the grain and saying no to a QB. This team is so bad that we would be better served improving the LB, WR, OLB, OL positions first. Then next year look for a rookie to build around. Would Dak be playing well for us if we had drafted him? No. Dallas has playmakers and a great OL.

So, I say best player available as long as it it not a QB. Maybe take a flyer on a guy in the forth round. Resign Ponder and pick up another scrub to get us through 2017. Let's face it, we will be competing for the first pick next year as well.
Mariota was a sure thing coming out of Oregon. In the next couple of years he will be one of the top 2 QB's in the NFL. Trubisky is a question mark, If we get Garret there will be quarterbacks to choose from in the second or even third rounds. If Trubisky turns out to be the SF QB for the next decade I love the pick, if he's a bust I'd say he was the worst top pick we ever made. But, what do I know, I'm only a fan.
good news is that we can either get Garrett or Trubisky, which are my two favorite prospects. They are both game changers for their side of the balls and are pieces to build around and be the focal point of the unit
Originally posted by 9moon:

Trubisky runs a spread offense so yes, i think he will fit nicely in Chip's offense and make a immediate impact. I also think he would operate a pro style good too. He has good footwork, accuracy, and a quick release that would work perfectly for a Kyle Shannahan offense.

Jadaveon ran into a lot of issues with injuries that slowed his progress. Also, Clowney had major work ethic concerns while admitting he was taking it easy his whole senior year because he was already thinking of the pros, while Garrett has been playing his heart this past year with high ankle sprain. I think Garrett is mentally tougher and more engaged in the game. They both are however same in size coming out of college. I think Garrett weighs a bit more too.

I think Trubisky's stock raised as Watson, Kaaya, and Kizer continued to show flaws as the year went on. All 3 started with a lot of hype at the beginning of the season and started to flame out while Trubisky, a first year start who no one really expected to flash so early, came out performing at a consistent high level throughout the whole season. In a strong QB class, Trubisky would probably be a 15-32 pick

I think Garrett can play 3-4 OLB. He is listed at 270lbs and is freakishly athletic for his size. He would probably prefer to be a 4-3 DE but most certainly can play 3-4 OLB. I really hope if he get Garrett, we can explore the idea of playing 4-3 most of the time given that Lynch is also considered an over sized OLB
Originally posted by 9moon:

Garrett would be a olb for us! Allen would be a DE for us.
If garret is gone I might be willing to trade down if we traded/signed a QB. Curt, Jimmy g, rivers.
[ Edited by gold49er2183 on Dec 27, 2016 at 7:30 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone