LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

The age old debate.

The age old debate.

Puting our money where our mouth is which do you prefer at #2. The only reason I'm OK with the win is I'd be happy with either Garret or Trubisky. I prefer Garret but if you hit on QB your whole team suddenly looks better. And it's a deep OLB class.

Or do you think someone else is the best available.
If you're going BPA you take Garrett, but we need a QB and if the team thinks Trubisky is/can be that guy for the next decade plus, you have to take him.

I think if we end up at #2 the Browns will make it easy on us and take either Mitch or Myles.

If they're both on the board at 2 (highly unlikely IMO) then I think I'd go Garrett, but it's a tough call and I'd be good with either.
[ Edited by PA9erFaithful on Dec 27, 2016 at 7:50 AM ]
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
If you're going BPA you take Garrett, but we need a QB and if the team thinks Trubisky is/can be that guy for the next decade, you have to take him.

I think if we end up at #2 the Browns will make it easy on us and take either Mitch or Myles.

If they're both on the board at 2 (highly unlikely IMO) then I think I'd go Garrett, but it's a tough call and I'd be good with either.

This if Myles is there he's the pick if not Mitch is a fine consolation prize
Trubisky has one year under his belt and people are acting like he's gonna be some kind of savior.
Not me.

Garrett
Allen
Foster
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
If you're going BPA you take Garrett, but we need a QB and if the team thinks Trubisky is/can be that guy for the next decade, you have to take him.

This if Myles is there he's the pick if not Mitch is a fine consolation prize

Agree
Julius Peppers or Blake Bortles

That's essentially what you're asking
Originally posted by YungAce:

Why Blake bortles? Why not mariota?

Imo this poll is silly there's not a person in here that wouldn't want Myles over a qb...doesn't mean the qbs in this draft blow though.
Originally posted by YungAce:

Why Blake bortles? Why not mariota?

Imo this poll is silly there's not a person in here that wouldn't want Myles over a qb...doesn't mean the qbs in this draft blow though.

None of the QBs in this draft are worth what Mariota was worth coming out (look what Chip was trying to give up to get Mariota).

It's unfair to say these guys will all end up being like Blake Bortles in the NFL, but Trubisky may be a similarly rated prospect coming out of college. He's definitely not rated as highly as Winston or Mariota were and I don't think he's going to be rated as highly as Goff or Wentz either.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
None of the QBs in this draft are worth what Mariota was worth coming out (look what Chip was trying to give up to get Mariota).

It's unfair to say these guys will all end up being like Blake Bortles in the NFL, but Trubisky may be a similarly rated prospect coming out of college. He's definitely not rated as highly as Winston or Mariota were and I don't think he's going to be rated as highly as Goff or Wentz either.

I see no reason why Mitch OR Watson wouldn't be rated just as high as Goff and Wentz....I get Winston but there were plenty of questions about Marcus and if he could play in a pro style offense (his stats inflated due to that system).
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 27, 2016 at 11:22 AM ]
Too early to say now. All else being equal QB is worth more.

Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

I see no reason why Mitch OR Watson wouldn't be rated just as high as Goff and Wentz....I get Winston but there were plenty of questions about Marcus and if he could play in a pro style offense (his stats inflated due to that system).

Watson is easy - he's probably two inches shorter, less athletic, and his stats are nowhere near as good as Mariota's were in college even though both of them had elite talent around them and played in simple offenses. He is probably a little less accurate than Mariota was. He's not going to be a top 15 pick, let alone a top 2 pick. They have similar arm strength, so I don't know what you like more about Watson that makes up for everything else.

Mariota's stats his junior year: 68.3% completion, 10.0 Y/A, 42 TDs, 4 INTs, 181.7 passer rating.
Watson's stats his junior year: 67.6% completion, 8.0 Y/A, 37 TDs, 15 INTs, 154.0 passer rating.

Trubisky has only had one great year in college and doesn't have the athleticism of Watson let alone Mariota. He has similar arm strength to both of them (good, but not elite). He's 6'2-6'3 with decent athleticism, a pretty good arm, good accuracy, and one year of production in college.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Franchise QB over anything else any day. Just look at the Broncos now, not having a QB has finally caught up with them. Super Bowl champs missing the playoffs entirely.
Just give it a couple more weeks before we get some clarity.

If Watson leads Clemson to a national championship, his stock is going to skyrocket to an astronomical level. People will start throwing his name in the mix for the first overall pick.

However, if he fizzles out and looks terrible, everyone will start asserting the notion that he's not worthy of being taken in the first round.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Just give it a couple more weeks before we get some clarity.

If Watson leads Clemson to a national championship, his stock is going to skyrocket to an astronomical level. People will start throwing his name in the mix for the first overall pick.

However, if he fizzles out and looks terrible, everyone will start asserting the notion that he's not worthy of being taken in the first round.

His tools aren't as good as Mariota's. It doesn't matter if Clemson ends up winning another championship - players get drafted for how they project at the next level not how successful their team was in college.

Even before the season started when his stock was at its peak, his closest comparison was a poor man's Marcus Mariota. Clemson could win the championship and Watson could still be taken mid-late first round after both Trubisky and Kizer.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000666358/article/first-look-scouting-clemson-qb-deshaun-watson?campaign=twitter_nfl_cfb

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000693254/article/ask-5-whats-best-nfl-comp-for-clemsons-deshaun-watson
right, i meant from the perspective of the mainstream masses.
Share 49ersWebzone