LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

just a question, but when do we address the NT position?

Originally posted by TheNef77:
I hope we go big in free agency here. NT is the most important position against the run in the 3-4. Its gotta be Poe or Hankins. We got what we paid for, quit low balling that position. Plus, if we're looking to draft ILB and OLB, there's no vet presence other than Bow.

I think Brandon Williams is better than either one of those guys, he just doesn't get as much publicity for his excellent play. He's a shorter tackle that plays with excellent leverage, very hard to move and simply owns the middle.

One of the big Pro Bowl misses from 2015 is the player I think is the NFL's Most Underrated. He is Baltimore Ravens nose tackle Brandon Williams .

A year ago, I picked him as his team's most-underrated player. But after an impressive 16 games in 2015, where he played as well as any nose in the league, Williams shoots to the top overall honor.

Brandon Williams does the dirty work for Baltimore's defense. How he missed out on a Pro Bowl in 2015 is mystifying.

At 6-foot-1, 335 pounds, he is a load inside against the run. It's tough for centers to move him in one-on-one situations and he helps free up the linebackers to run to the football.

Williams, who came out of tiny Missouri-Southern, is entering his fourth season and should be on the verge of getting more accolades. He doesn't get sacks, which hurts his chances to get noticed. He had just two last season, and has just 3.5 in his three seasons.

That's not where his impact is made, even if he can push the pocket some. He does the dirty work, anchoring in against the run. He also had 53 tackles last season, which is a lot for a nose.

Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said Williams might be the best nose tackle in the game. But you'd never know it by the attention that comes his way.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfls-most-underrated-32-teams-32-players-who-deserve-more-props/

Miami Dolphins head coach Adam Gase was reluctant to single anyone out because when he watches film of the Ravens' top-ranked rush defense, he sees seven guys who adeptly play within the team's scheme. He observes defensive linemen occupying blockers and running lanes, outside linebackers setting the edge and inside linebackers flying to the ball and making tackles.

The key to making it all work, though, stands front and center on the Ravens' defense. At 6-foot-1 and 340 pounds and with hulking arms and tree stumps for legs, nose tackle Brandon Williams absorbs double teams on most running plays. He doesn't make a whole lot of tackles, but then again, it's really not his job to.

His responsibility is to fill holes, get penetration and keep blockers off of other Ravens. If you ask his teammates and coaches, Williams is doing his job about as well as anybody in the NFL.

"That's what he was born for," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said. "If you look at his body, he's built to be a run stopper and a pocket pusher. He's built perfectly for it. God gifted him to do that job."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-williams-1202-20161201-story.html

It's long been an organizational strength and the current Ravens are doing it better than any team in the NFL. They have allowed just 74.9 rushing yards per game and four touchdowns on the ground, both totals leading the league.

Only three opposing backs — Isaiah Crowell, Matt Forte and Ezekiel Elliott — have gained more than 60 rushing yards in games this season against the Ravens.

The Dallas Cowboys, who are lauded for having the NFL's best offensive line, frequently double-teamed Williams. Before facing the Ravens this season, Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin called Williams "the man inside" and said he "generally requires two men to block him."Pierce, who plays alongside Williams, estimated that Williams sees a double team nearly 70 percent of the time.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 25, 2016 at 1:07 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
I like both picks in AA and Defo, but our nose tackle this season is the reason why we were run all over in the beginning of the season and were giving up alarming amounts of rushing yards. Is there someone in the draft that you guys like or do you guys actually feel comfortable with what we currently have there?

Free agency is probably the best bet for NT, or a later pick in the draft when talking about a 2 down player.

This makes sense.
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
After we get rid of Dorsey, snatch one in FA, draft one in mid rounds and later pick up one (7th rd or undrafted) to stash in PS.

Can't justify getting rid of Dorsey just yet. I do agree with signing one and drafting a guy to develop late.

I understand, but if that FA we (hopefully) acquire is legit, then that will help in regards to a veteran presence and starter till the youngsters gain experience, at the least. Plus, Dial is a veteran now and could be used sparingly for breathers. I like Dorsey, but his dependability is very questionable. He's quickly aging.

Dial is a vet, but I see him as more DE than NT. I prefer Dorsey as the backup. It gives us a starter and high quality depth. There is also the Ian Williams question. He is good when healthy, but even less dependable than Dorsey.

We thought D-line would be a strength this season. We can make it a reality in 2017. Armstead-Hankins/Poe/Williams-Buckner as starters. Backups are Dial/Dorsey/Blair. Rookie NT likely on the practice squad. That is a D-line I could breathe easy having.
why would you get rid of dorsey...he's our anchor in the middle, we stop the run way better when he's in there....we need to get rid of dead weight no matter who they are thats why rb should be included in our list of needs because if you cant last a whole season you are dead weight......our rushing attack was 4th in the league only because of Kaepernick imo:
I. Williams need to be a backup cause he cant stay healthy while searching for another NT
E. Reid needs to be a backup or traded cause he cant stay healthy and he's not nearly the same guy b4 the concussion
C. Hyde needs another year to prove he can last an entire season or be a backup
Here's the way i think it pans out:
1. If the browns take Garrett we take Trubisky he not only fits Kelly's system he fits any system and i think Kizer could also be the pick i would choose Kizer
2. everything else depends on who we pick 1st
[ Edited by Rgonelove on Dec 25, 2016 at 3:31 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
After we get rid of Dorsey, snatch one in FA, draft one in mid rounds and later pick up one (7th rd or undrafted) to stash in PS.

Can't justify getting rid of Dorsey just yet. I do agree with signing one and drafting a guy to develop late.

I understand, but if that FA we (hopefully) acquire is legit, then that will help in regards to a veteran presence and starter till the youngsters gain experience, at the least. Plus, Dial is a veteran now and could be used sparingly for breathers. I like Dorsey, but his dependability is very questionable. He's quickly aging.

Dial is a vet, but I see him as more DE than NT. I prefer Dorsey as the backup. It gives us a starter and high quality depth. There is also the Ian Williams question. He is good when healthy, but even less dependable than Dorsey.

We thought D-line would be a strength this season. We can make it a reality in 2017. Armstead-Hankins/Poe/Williams-Buckner as starters. Backups are Dial/Dorsey/Blair. Rookie NT likely on the practice squad. That is a D-line I could breathe easy having.

Yes, Dorsey is a solid back up. Dial is our swiss army knife on the line. I just hope we get someone in FA to command the starter role. A rookie could learn a lot from that bunch...
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
I don't know, round 7 just seems so late. QB, WR, pass rusher, IMLB. Those are the 4 immediate needs on this team. I honestly think round 4-5 would be the spot. the lines are so important for us.

Brandon Williams in FA would lock down NT along with a later round pick to replace Purcell.

Williams is an absolute beast against the run and simply wears down opposing OL.

I like this approach. Young FA plus round 5 or later for a backup.
Given the porous run D, the NT position is a position of dire need, maybe even second to QB. Definitely need an edge rusher, though.

I agree with this. Where do you guys see Hankins and Poe on our FA list?

But also would be down 1000% for this scenario as well.
Free agency. Just make sure Purcell isn't playing significant snaps next year.

Pick up Brandon Williams & Jonathan Hankins. Draft Josh Augusta in the 5-6 round to develop.
Originally posted by bkbkeahi:
Pick up Brandon Williams & Jonathan Hankins. Draft Josh Augusta in the 5-6 round to develop.

Nobody is signing two high-priced NT's, especially when one of them is coming out of a 4-3 defense.

You're talking about a 2 down player, I think some folks are just traumatized after this past season. If they signed Williams, who will cost a bundle, $8 mil a year and then draft a guy in the later rounds, you are good to go.
Free agency dontario Poe NT resign Ian Williams for depth! I would rather shore up our line then throw away money on Jeffries.
I like the idea of a stud starter in FA and then a pick in the draft to develop. I know we have other pressing needs, but even if we sign B. Williams or Poe or someone, if Vita Vea comes out and is there at our 2nd round pick do you bite? I guess if you sign a guy that is going to handle the interior in FA that would be too high to spend a pick on a role you just filled.

I have to admit I've been disappointed with Poe this year. He was a huge draft crush of mine (benching 700 lbs. and running a 4.85-4.90 40 will do that!), so when it seemed there might be a better than even chance KC won't be able to retain him (I read a couple articles that detailed the cap issues they may have if they decide on Eric Berry, with the recent contract for Houston as well) I made a point to watch KC games this season. I'm no scout or expert on NT play, but he seems to get high and pushed off the ball a lot. Also, he's going to command more than your usual 2 down NT since he plays around 80-84% of the defensive snaps for KC in most games.

I like what Phoenix had to post on B. Williams, and if they can sign him, I would be interested in Dalvin Tomlinson in the 4th - 6th round as a developmental NT.

From his NFL DraftScout profile (bolded section mine):

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=125536&draftyear=2017&genpos=DE

***09/23/16 - Dalvin Tomlinson is Alabama's other defensive end. He should not be hard to miss at 6-foot-3, 310-pounds. He was a three-time Georgia state champion wrestler and former high school soccer player - and he is a pretty good football player, too. Tomlinson, however, is often overshadowed by All-Southeastern Conference teammate Jonathan Allen. "Dalvin is a big part of this defense," said Ryan Anderson, a linebacker for the top-ranked Crimson Tide. "He doesn't get a lot of credit he deserves, but Dalvin is a monster. He's been that way for a while." Tomlinson made seven tackles in last weekend's win over No. 23 Mississippi for Alabama, which hosts Kent State on Saturday. The senior was the first guy off the bench on Alabama's ocean-deep defensive front last year, but didn't log his first career start until the opener against Southern California this season. ***

Apparently from another article (which I can't locate now) he has the best hands technique on the Alabama D line as well.
Keep your eye on christian wilkins on Clemson dude is a monster and can play all over that line.

He might be best as a 3 tech in a 4-3 (Aaron Donald type) but he's a monster on that Clemson DL.

Wouldn't hate to see AA, Wilkins, buck out there
Share 49ersWebzone