There are 154 users in the forums

Can DEFO stand up?

• fan49
  • Veteran
I was thinking about this, I dont know his agility or speed. If he can and take over for brooks we can draft allen. Does anyone know if this is a possibility, or have an opinion on it? because

Lynch - ray-ray - bowman - defo
Allen - Dorsey - Armstead

Doesnt look that bad
[ Edited by fan49 on Dec 23, 2016 at 12:44 PM ]
You really only need one thread to say "I vote for Allen."
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
You really only need one thread to say "I vote for Allen."

I want peppers, But Allen being the co-#1 guy, it might makes sense. If DEFO cant i wouldnt waste the pick on allen.
[ Edited by fan49 on Dec 23, 2016 at 12:51 PM ]
No.
He might have the athleticism to do it once in a while, but not for every single snap on base downs. That would be a serious waste of his talents IMO.
Ugh. A 300lb OLB? Have we finally and completely lost our minds? Allen is bad value for the 49ers. He's another 1st round 5-tech in our 3-4, which Armstead and Buckner already are, except he has less length than them. We'd have 3 guys for two spots, all 1st rounders. He's a 3-tech in a 4-3, which is exactly what Armstead (and likely Buckner would also be). We'd have 2-3 guys for 1 spot.

FWIW, Peppers is bad value anywhere in the top 10, IMO. How can a safety be a game changer with one INT in his entire college career?
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
I'd rather put Allen in for Armstead if we run a 3-4

Buck, Poe, Allen
Originally posted by TheNef77:

Buck, Poe, Allen

...and just sit the most dominant 49er in all of 2016's training camp? AA was a monster before the injury. Offensive and defensive players alike couldn't shut up about him.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Buck, Poe, Allen

...and just sit the most dominant 49er in all of 2016's training camp? AA was a monster before the injury. Offensive and defensive players alike couldn't shut up about him.
You're talking about TC but the gametape says differently. What else does TC Talk sound like other than optimism? Only reason I have Buck over him is because Buck can beat a pass pro. Both suck against the run.
Ugh. A 300lb OLB? Have we finally and completely lost our minds? Allen is bad value for the 49ers. He's another 1st round 5-tech in our 3-4, which Armstead and Buckner already are, except he has less length than them. We'd have 3 guys for two spots, all 1st rounders. He's a 3-tech in a 4-3, which is exactly what Armstead (and likely Buckner would also be). We'd have 2-3 guys for 1 spot.

FWIW, Peppers is bad value anywhere in the top 10, IMO. How can a safety be a game changer with one INT in his entire college career?

Thank the lord someone is making some sense!

Originally posted by NYniner85:

Thank the lord someone is making some sense!

Co-signed to all of this.

Buck, Poe, Allen

You're talking about TC but the gametape says differently. What else does TC Talk sound like other than optimism? Only reason I have Buck over him is because Buck can beat a pass pro. Both suck against the run.

Do you have any idea how forcefully defensive linemen must use their hands and arms? A shoulder injury cuts you effectiveness, quite literally, in half. They weren't talking about anyone else that way, just AA. And they don't suck. Last year, AA learned by taking his lumps that he needed better pad level, so he fixed it. This year, DeFo learned the same thing. He's making slow progress with it now, but that progress will speed up once he hits the offseason and can focus on retraining his body.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place

Buck, Poe, Allen

Do you have any idea how forcefully defensive linemen must use their hands and arms? A shoulder injury cuts you effectiveness, quite literally, in half. They weren't talking about anyone else that way, just AA. And they don't suck. Last year, AA learned by taking his lumps that he needed better pad level, so he fixed it. This year, DeFo learned the same thing. He's making slow progress with it now, but that progress will speed up once he hits the offseason and can focus on retraining his body.

He fixed it? Every oline he faced other than subpar LA had their way with those 2. But go on with that TC hype. Did you know that before Christine Michael got cut from Seattle, he hit the 100 yard mark in the 1st damn quarter against your 2 rookies? Against that makeshift Seahawk OL, AA shedded out of running lanes. Buck driven 2-4 yards back. FILM DON'T LIE!!!

AA got hurt and you still can't tell the difference from him playing and the scout team. Keep drinking that TC kool-aid.

"most dominant 49er"

Buck, Poe, Allen

He fixed it? Every oline he faced other than subpar LA had their way with those 2. But go on with that TC hype. Did you know that before Christine Michael got cut from Seattle, he hit the 100 yard mark in the 1st damn quarter against your 2 rookies? Against that makeshift Seahawk OL, AA shedded out of running lanes. Buck driven 2-4 yards back. FILM DON'T LIE!!!

AA got hurt and you still can't tell the difference from him playing and the scout team. Keep drinking that TC kool-aid.

"most dominant 49er"

Justin Smith went from the most dominant defender in football to just a guy after suffering a similar injury, but tell me again how much you glean from film. A defensive lineman with a bad shoulder, especially in a 3-4, is going to look bad. AA looked worse than Cowboy, because Cowboy was a better player before he got hurt.

There's a reason why most rookie DL aren't very good, but their games elevate considerably over the course of three years, particularly in run defense, but I'm sure you know all that. You must be pretty well schooled in all this to take such a mocking condescending tone on the internet. Because, you know, no one would act way too confident in their ignorance to risk embarrassing their essentially anonymous screen name.

AA struggled to hold the point w/his injury, but he still lived in the opposing backfield whenever the defensive play call designated that he one gap. He made several wow plays going forward. Watch that film you swear by. It's there.

BTW, only 1 of those 2 guys is a rookie this year.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Justin Smith went from the most dominant defender in football to just a guy after suffering a similar injury, but tell me again how much you glean from film. A defensive lineman with a bad shoulder, especially in a 3-4, is going to look bad. AA looked worse than Cowboy, because Cowboy was a better player before he got hurt.

There's a reason why most rookie DL aren't very good, but their games elevate considerably over the course of three years, particularly in run defense, but I'm sure you know all that. You must be pretty well schooled in all this to take such a mocking condescending tone on the internet. Because, you know, no one would act way too confident in their ignorance to risk embarrassing their essentially anonymous screen name.

AA struggled to hold the point w/his injury, but he still lived in the opposing backfield whenever the defensive play call designated that he one gap. He made several wow plays going forward. Watch that film you swear by. It's there.

BTW, only 1 of those 2 guys is a rookie this year.

Just gonna agree to disagree with ya man. He had the injury in TC and they raved about him. Got pushed around when it counted. They decided to let him play with it for half the season. He'll have 1 or 2 plays where he does well but dude, this is our 1st round pick were talking about. Brock makes a decent play around the same rate, maybe we should keep him as a mainstay. I'll be more than happy to have you serve me some crow but until then, moving on bro.
Share 49ersWebzone