LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

Josh Allen-QB-Wyoming-2018

• zero
  • Veteran
Matt Miller has him going #3 overall to the bears in his latest mock draft
Originally posted by zero:

Has he declared? Whoever drafts him will be relying on quality development because he is extremely raw
Watched him during the bowl game. He didn't have a good game and threw the game losing pick.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
I'm a big Wyoming fan so I'll try to give some insight into Josh Allen's season.

As has been mentioned, when Allen is good, he looks like a future all-time great. Although he doesn't look like it, he's exceptionally quick for a 6'5" 225+ guy. He spent a large portion of this season extending plays and making 50 yard throws on the run. He has that "it" factor that you want in your quarterback. He makes some throws across his body that make you say wow. He also makes some throws across his body that leave you wanting to pull your hair out. He relies too much on his athleticism and arm to bail him out of bad situations. He's much closer to Mike Vick than Tom Brady which is why it would be a colossal mistake to enter the draft this year. He is very raw as a passer which can be refined under Craig Bohl and Brent Vigen as they run an offense that translates to NFL success. His footwork is almost non-existent. Allen has such a strong arm that he can make throws with his feet planted in some very awkward positions. Like Steve Young, he needs to work on becoming a passer first and breaking out of the pocket as a last resort. Allen's success as an NFL quarterback will depend on him learning to manipulate the pocket and improving his footwork. His ceiling is as high as any quarterback in the NFL, but he has a very long way to go before he reaches it.

Looking at Wyoming's 2016 team, they had an NFL running back behind him in Brian Hill, an NFL offensive lineman in front of him in Chase Roullier, 4 other young lineman, a potential training camp body at tightend in Hollister, another at receiver in Maulhardt, and a late round - UDFA at the other receiver position in Tanner Gentry. He had a very strong supporting cast with the offensive line, although decent, being their weakest link.

Looking at Wyoming's 2017 team, they will have an offensive line of one sophomore, three juniors, and a senior with 1-2 solid backups which should help keep Allen protected. Running back will be nowhere near as strong without Brian Hill, likely utilizing a committee approach, which means Allen will have to shoulder a bigger load. Tightend is a tossup and only one receiver has established himself in RS sophomore CJ Johnson. Offensive line will be the strength of his supporting cast which means Allen will have to make improvements this offseason to continue his success.

Unfortunately, I don't have time right now to find all the highlights I'd like to share in this thread, but I'll share a few that illustrate a few of my points. Here's a highlight from the UNLV game showing how clutch he can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0opVbNk50Fg#t=6m33s

Here's a highlight from that same game that shows a little of how he has some of that Brett Favre over-confidence as well. He ended this UNLV game with an unnecessary throw just like he did in the BYU bowl game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0opVbNk50Fg#t=8m23s
[ Edited by DVDA on Jan 4, 2017 at 1:01 AM ]
Originally posted by zero:

i saw that and i was like "WHO?!" lmao
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Cutler comparison isn't great to hear. Cousins a little better.

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
Studying Wyoming QB Josh Allen-- See some Jay Cutler/Kirk Cousins. You could make an incredible highlight tape from his best plays.
[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 8, 2017 at 10:06 PM ]
He has until January 16th to decide to declare or not. The first round becomes really interesting if he decides to go pro - he'd be the 4th QB likely to go in the first round which could cause someone to slide far enough for us to trade up for whoever falls between Kizer, Watson, or Allen from our 2nd round pick.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
He has until January 16th to decide to declare or not. The first round becomes really interesting if he decides to go pro - he'd be the 4th QB likely to go in the first round which could cause someone to slide far enough for us to trade up for whoever falls between Kizer, Watson, or Allen from our 2nd round pick.

Garrett 1st
Allen 2nd
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

Garrett 1st
Allen 2nd

Getting Garrett and one of the QBs with a minor trade up would be an ideal scenario for me. Would much rather have any of those 4 (Trubisky, Kizer, Allen, Watson) than Garapollo or Tyrod Taylor.

If we pick a QB at 2, I'd love to go offense the next 2 rounds to put them in a better position to succeed. Our interior offensive line needs work and we have very little talent at WR. If we take Garrett first and draft a QB in the late first/early 2nd, we won't be under pressure to play the QB right away so we can address both sides of the ball in free agency and the draft and continue to build the offense over the next two years.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Matt Miller via Twitter: Breaking: Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen is not entering the draft and will return to school for the 2017 season.

Originally posted by okdkid:
Matt Miller via Twitter: Breaking: Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen is not entering the draft and will return to school for the 2017 season.

Good decision. He needs a lot of work
Originally posted by saniner:

Very smart. He can be a future #1 pick if he gets it right
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by saniner:

Very smart. He can be a future #1 pick if he gets it right

Really ? Does he have that much potential talent that he hasn't reached yet ? Never heard of the kid until like a month ago..
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Really ? Does he have that much potential talent that he hasn't reached yet ? Never heard of the kid until like a month ago..

Ya Rly. Talent level and potential is through the roof, he's just very raw and erratic right now.

He can make throws no other quarterback in college football can make, he also does a lot of patently dumb stuff as a result of inexperience.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by jersey49er:

Ya Rly. Talent level and potential is through the roof, he's just very raw and erratic right now.

He can make throws no other quarterback in college football can make, he also does a lot of patently dumb stuff as a result of inexperience.

Every time a college QB comes up and he's from a smaller school I wonder if scouts missed on him or he wanted to stay home, like Wentz for instance..I think he'd actually from North Dakota tho..
Share 49ersWebzone