LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Why Mike Williams over others

Just wanting some understanding on this. I like Mike Williams dont get me wrong. But if Mike Williams is the highly sought after WR considerably across the board then why wasnt he a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award even with playing with one of the best QBs in college?
[ Edited by DeHubb on Dec 21, 2016 at 7:20 PM ]
honestly the guy looks like a beast on tape but the "Mike Williams" name alone scares me and why do they all play WR
Originally posted by DeHubb:
Just wanting some understanding on this. I like Mike Williams dont get me wrong. But if Mike Williams is the highly sought after WR considerably across the board then why wasnt he a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award even with playing with one of the best QBs in college?

It's the Mike Evans+Johnny Manziel thing all over again. Does Williams make Watson look better or does Williams look good because Watsons making him look good. We know Evans is a great receiver. I'm willing to bet Williams is doing the same with Watson.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

It's the Mike Evans+Johnny Manziel thing all over again. Does Williams make Watson look better or does Williams look good because Watsons making him look good. We know Evans is a great receiver. I'm willing to bet Williams is doing the same with Watson.

Watson put up top numbers without Mike Williams though...I think both are great, I just prefer the route running the Corey Davis brings to the table.

I think it's because they have so many different weapons. Clemson is loaded at the skill position and not just loaded with good college players, they are loaded with guys that will be playing in the NFL in the next couple of years. Mike Williams will have over 1,200 yards this year when it's all said and done but you also have Gallman who rushed for over 1,000, Watson who rushed for over 500, Jordan Leggett (will probably be a 2nd round pick) has over 600 yards receiving, Deon Cain (who will probably be a 1st or 2nd round pick when he comes out) has over 600 yards receiving, Artavis Scott (who will be a mid round pick) will have over 600 yards receiving plus you have their shifty slot guy, Renfrow. So they have weapons and ball distribution all over the field and as good as Williams is, he just doesn't get the targets like he would if we played somewhere else.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Watson put up top numbers without Mike Williams though...I think both are great, I just prefer the route running the Corey Davis brings to the table.

This. And Davis is a beast. He looks like T.O after the catch

I am with you with Davis I think he is more polished. He's had great coaching and questions about his speed should be answered at the combine.
Really prefer Davis or Williams
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:

This. And Davis is a beast. He looks like T.O after the catch

Yup wouldn't hateciwthe but Davis should be available in a trade up

I am with you with Davis I think he is more polished. He's had great coaching and questions about his speed should be answered at the combine.

Personally I hope his 40 is lower then people like for a first rounder

• TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place

Manziel would throw up prayers to Evans. Watson actually hits WRs on time.

This. I want Davis.
My mind keeps telling me we should trade back 4 or 5 spots and grab Mike Williams somewhere around the 7 or 8 spot. Especially if Myles Garrett is off the board. Then, we trade up to around 15 or 16 and take Ruben Foster, ILB out of Alabama. We fill 2 HUGE, HUGE needs.

Then I wake up and realize we still don't have a QB. Damn...
[ Edited by amosmac28 on Dec 22, 2016 at 9:43 AM ]
Originally posted by amosmac28:
My mind keeps telling me we should trade back 4 or 5 spots and grab Mike Williams somewhere around the 7 or 8 spot. Especially if Myles Garrett is off the board. Then, we trade up to around 15 or 16 and take Ruben Foster, ILB out of Alabama. We fill 2 HUGE, HUGE needs.

Then I wake up and realize we still don't have a QB. Damn...

Well, if we can trade our 2nd round pick to NE for Garoppolo, we would be in business. Then we can trade back from #2, grab Mike Williams and use the 2nd (and probably 3rd) we just acquired to move up and grab Foster But we would have to get Garoppolo before Day 1 AND Garrett to be off the board
Williams is an excellent WR with good hands, size and speed. That said, the most accomplished and IMHO NFL-ready WR I've seen this year is Corey Davis. He has all the skills MW has and in addition is a powerful and willing blocker.
Share 49ersWebzone