There are 298 users in the forums

I think, we should pass to Quartback.

• HERN
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by stonecold590:
I'd Garret is on the Board it's a no brainer. Take him. I don't like idea of drafting a QB just because you need one. I'm sure there are a couple our new GM will like that he can take in the 2nd or 3rd. I would also look for a good QB who is a project late in the draft. I wouldn't be surprised if we took 2.

Who's gonna be there in the 2nd or 3rd? I just don't get what everyone's problem is with Watson or Trubisky in the 1st? Because they aren't Andrew Luck? Who you drafting if Garrett is gone?

My personal opinion is Watson is not worthy of a top 10 pick. Trubisky I'm on the fence about but I would be able to sleep at night if we selected him at #2.

If Garrett is gone at #2 i don't see much of a drop off between a Watson or someone like Mahomes that will be there late in the 1st.

The best thing to do is trade back but like you said, with who?

I could see someone like the jets trading up for Fournett , Watson or Trubisky. The Panthers are also a sleeper in the trading up game , they can use a player like Fournett. they might want to leapfrom the Jags who might be interested in him.

1.Browns-Garrett
2.Panthers-Fournett
3.Jaguars- Allen
4.Bears- Trubisky
5.Jets- Watson
6.Titans- Peppers
7.49ers- Barnett

So yes, if i had it my way it would go down like this ( assuming Garrett was gone ) then trading back in to the 1st and getting Mahomes.
  • NM16
  • Veteran
I'm not too crazy about getting extra draft picks. I mean we've had extra draft picks for the past how many years and how has that worked out? Lets not get too cute and just draft Trubisky at 2 if Garrett is gone
Originally posted by fan49:
they won a Superbowl without a qb

And now they are basically out of the playoff picture. They could also have easily lost early on last year were it not for an unforced fumble by Pittsburgh late in the divisional round game. You can get by with a lesser QB or a game manager for a year or two, you can't do it for a long time. You need the stars to align just perfectly for you but afterwards you're going to start losing defensive talent and that will be all she wrote.

Its a far more effective model to find a quality QB and build a roster around them than to try and have a roster filled with studs and hope that your QB can play just well enough to not blow it for you.
Originally posted by jcs:
Only if Garrett is there at #2. Franchise Pass rusher is as almost as important as QB and just as difficult to find.

i agree, having a great pass rusher will make your overall defense better, can't miss garrett, too bad the browns wont win another game
Originally posted by HERN:
My personal opinion is Watson is not worthy of a top 10 pick. Trubisky I'm on the fence about but I would be able to sleep at night if we selected him at #2.

If Garrett is gone at #2 i don't see much of a drop off between a Watson or someone like Mahomes that will be there late in the 1st.

I could see someone like the jets trading up for Fournett , Watson or Trubisky. The Panthers are also a sleeper in the trading up game , they can use a player like Fournett. they might want to leapfrom the Jags who might be interested in him.

1.Browns-Garrett
2.Panthers-Fournett
3.Jaguars- Allen
4.Bears- Trubisky
5.Jets- Watson
6.Titans- Peppers
7.49ers- Barnett

So yes, if i had it my way it would go down like this ( assuming Garrett was gone ) then trading back in to the 1st and getting Mahomes.

Who's throwing us a bunch of picks for a RB? Mahomes already stated he was most likely staying another yr.

So Trubisky is not top 2 material yet you have him as a top 5 pick?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
And now they are basically out of the playoff picture. They could also have easily lost early on last year were it not for an unforced fumble by Pittsburgh late in the divisional round game. You can get by with a lesser QB or a game manager for a year or two, you can't do it for a long time. You need the stars to align just perfectly for you but afterwards you're going to start losing defensive talent and that will be all she wrote.

Its a far more effective model to find a quality QB and build a roster around them than to try and have a roster filled with studs and hope that your QB can play just well enough to not blow it for you.

This... people try to act like building a team like the broncos had last yr is the easy/smart way to go.

What people don't realize is that defense was bought for the most part and they weren't rolling there unless manning wasn't already the qb.

The whole they didn't have a qb was BS as well...no one commands a line like Manning did. He controlled that offense even if he didn't have a laser rocket arm anymore.

Like you said if it was all about defense they wouldn't be 8-6 and putting up 3 pts last week.
If you are a quarterback with bonafide first round talent, meaning you have an NFL arm, reliably accurate, good leader, and can make NFL throws, you are a top 10 talent because of the position you play. Will you be an elite player? That depends on how hard they are willing to work at it. But if the criteria I mentioned are met, you are going to be drafted in the top 10, no matter what. There are quarterbacks that didn't meet all of those criteria and were still top 10 picks. The quarterbacks in question, Deshaun Watson and Mitch Trubisky meet that criteria as well. I do not see what the problem is. Some can play the game of waiting until the best quarterback prospect ever shows up and hope they are in a position to draft them, but that would be suicide for this franchise and there will be many fired coaches, general mangers, and wasted careers of talented players because the team is missing a QB.

As I've stated in other threads, I don't see a high chance either of the top two QBs will bust. Both are hard workers. Both have first round talent. Both are good leaders. If they land in a favorable position in terms of their development as a QB, even better. The only reason I am even willing to chance passing on Watson and Trubisky is because Chip Kelly has made all of his quarterbacks look better than what they really are, so we may be able to get away without having the absolute best QB available than say, the New York Jets or Chicago Bears would.

Also, any notion of passing on Watson and Trubisky to take a player not named Myles Garrett is insane. Some of these options people are throwing out are . Leonard Fournette? Jabril Peppers? Both are great players, but when you are a team lacking at the most important positions and you are drafting number 2 overall (should the current slotting hold), you do not take a running back (this ain't 1979) or a DB/LB hybrid.
8-6 is a hell of a lot better than 1-15

yes and that defense was mainly bought...you act like if we draft Myle Garrett we are magically gonna have a top defense.

they went from 13-3, 13-3, 12-4,12-4 to 8-6 without a QB and I wouldn't be surprised if they lose their two last games and miss the playoffs.

they won a Superbowl without a qb

Rubbish. Having Peyton Manning on your roster helps secure all pro caliber players through free agency. That's part of building the team. A franchise QB brings in talent. He may have had a noodle arm and been a statue but his ability to read the game still assists in so many ways.

Denver didn't do it all through the drafting of defensive players. Von Miller helps but a lot of good FA's came in. Who they had at QB certainly plays a part in getting those guys there.
  • HERN
  • Veteran

1.Browns-Garrett
2.Panthers-Fournett
3.Jaguars- Allen
4.Bears- Trubisky
5.Jets- Watson
6.Titans- Peppers
7.49ers- Barnett

Who's throwing us a bunch of picks for a RB? Mahomes already stated he was most likely staying another yr.

So Trubisky is not top 2 material yet you have him as a top 5 pick?

I also said Watson is not a top 10 pick and I have him at 5.

I'm speaking for me. If I'm the 49ers GM just because I don't think a player is not worth a top 10 pick, doesn't mean 31 other GM's have to agree.

Panthers could be the ones willing to trade up for what can possibly be the final piece they need to win a SB.

Also it wouldn't be a bunch of picks it would only be a 3rd rounder.
[ Edited by HERN on Dec 19, 2016 at 6:04 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Except your odds of finding one get progressively worse the lower in the draft that you go.

The idea that you wait until there is an Andrew Luck type QB to draft a QB to me is asinine. How often do those guys come around? Most of the top QBs in the NFL werent "homerun" type picks but guys with a myriad of questions due to physical talent, size, competition, system or a number of other factors.

If every team went by that standard, a handful of teams in the NFL would have QBs. Even Rodgers came with questions which is why he fell into the bottom part of the 1st round.

If youre waiting for that "perfect, can't miss" QB prospect you will be waiting for a long time and you'd better arrange to have the #1 draft pick ahead of time for when they arrive.

This all day! All you can do is control who you're picking when your on the clock....waiting for some once in a decade qb to magically fall in our laps is ridiculous. Take the top qb and get a coach in here that can develop him.

All this BS about moving down without having any idea on who's actually gonna be the qb is dumb as well, we are full of young defensive players (4 1st rd picks in a row) how about we start putting points on the board and make s**t easier for the defense?

You guys should put resumes in to the Browns and Jaguars.

The point is you don't take a QB at #2 when the dude is not worthy of the pick. No one is saying you never take a QB in the first round.

I also said Watson is not a top 10 pick and I have him at 5.

I'm speaking for me. If I'm the 49ers GM just because I don't think a player is not worth a top 10 pick, doesn't mean 31 other GM's have to agree.

Panthers could be the ones willing to trade up for what can possibly be the final piece they need to win a SB.

Also it wouldn't be a bunch of picks it would only be a 3rd rounder.

Wait you want us to move from 2nd to 7th for a 3rd round pick? The draft value chart which isn't the end all be all, but there's difference of 1,100 points which is a 2nd,3rd 4th plus more.

Come on man that would be horrible trade value for us.
Originally posted by bigwads:

The point is you don't take a QB at #2 when the dude is not worthy of the pick. No one is saying you never take a QB in the first round.

Derp who says he's not you? What has Trubisky shown you that he's not worth a top 10 pick?

People thought Big Ben flacco drew Brees aaron Rogers Brett Favre weren't top picks either.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 19, 2016 at 6:40 PM ]
I know there are a bunch of guys in the media that think you should draft a QB and keep drafting them until you hit on one. I TOTALLY DISAGREE. Teams that do this are perpetually garbage. You take franchise caliber players when drafting this high...take the for sure guys or at least those with the least risk among the top 5 guys in the draft. This is how you build.

When there is a Andrew Luck in the draft you take him. When a QB is worth the top pick it is obvious. It was obvious with Rogers too; totally unreal he fell that far. He should have been the #1 pick easily.

Also, you can take QB's anywhere in the draft, not just with a top first round pick. The idea that you must take one with the 2nd pick is total and complete nonsense. That type of inflating the player due to need and taking that player with a high pick is just stupid.

Yeah, I'm talking to you Kevin Jones. The facts show that the above position is correct. Obviously, everyone agrees that teams are not right until they get "their" quarterback, but inflating players based on need is how you stay in the gutter.
agree

Derp who says he's not you? What has he shown you that he's not worth a top 10 pick?

People thought Big Ben flacco drew Brees aaron Rogers Brett Favre weren't top picks either.

People were right. None of those guys were top 10 picks. Brees was the last pick in the 2nd round Rodgers was the 24th pick even though many people thought he'd be the #1 pick. Favre was a 2nd round pick. Flacco was the 18th pick. Roethlisberger was the 11th pick even though many thought he'd go top 10. The Giants almost took Roethlisberger at 4, but the Chargers wanted Rivers.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
If you are a quarterback with bonafide first round talent, meaning you have an NFL arm, reliably accurate, good leader, and can make NFL throws, you are a top 10 talent because of the position you play. Will you be an elite player? That depends on how hard they are willing to work at it. But if the criteria I mentioned are met, you are going to be drafted in the top 10, no matter what. There are quarterbacks that didn't meet all of those criteria and were still top 10 picks. The quarterbacks in question, Deshaun Watson and Mitch Trubisky meet that criteria as well. I do not see what the problem is. Some can play the game of waiting until the best quarterback prospect ever shows up and hope they are in a position to draft them, but that would be suicide for this franchise and there will be many fired coaches, general mangers, and wasted careers of talented players because the team is missing a QB.

As I've stated in other threads, I don't see a high chance either of the top two QBs will bust. Both are hard workers. Both have first round talent. Both are good leaders. If they land in a favorable position in terms of their development as a QB, even better. The only reason I am even willing to chance passing on Watson and Trubisky is because Chip Kelly has made all of his quarterbacks look better than what they really are, so we may be able to get away without having the absolute best QB available than say, the New York Jets or Chicago Bears would.

Also, any notion of passing on Watson and Trubisky to take a player not named Myles Garrett is insane. Some of these options people are throwing out are . Leonard Fournette? Jabril Peppers? Both are great players, but when you are a team lacking at the most important positions and you are drafting number 2 overall (should the current slotting hold), you do not take a running back (this ain't 1979) or a DB/LB hybrid.

Thank you!! We don't even have a qb on the roster next yr for god sake.

First thing you need to do when rebuilding is get your qb of the future. We are in a position to do that for once and people want to get cute and trade down in hope someone better will be there OR draft a RB/hybrid LB because the qb isn't Andrew luck WTF?

IMO get a coach that can develop a qb because like you said both these QBs have everything you want in a starter.
Share 49ersWebzone