LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Connor Williams (TEX)

Originally posted by Heroism:
He's not an elite OT prospect. There's one elite OL prospect in this draft, and he wears 56 for Notre Dame.

I think he's pretty darn good if not elite and he's only 20. If he came back for his Senior year he would be considered an elite and top 5 prospect next year.
Until Trent gets extended I think finding a tackle is a lot more pressing need than guard. We could end up with 2 openings there.

If we take Williams we have more flexibility to handle anything that's thrown at us.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Until Trent gets extended I think finding a tackle is a lot more pressing need than guard. We could end up with 2 openings there.

If we take Williams we have more flexibility to handle anything that's thrown at us.

I agree

I get the urgency, but at worse, you can say the needs are equal. All we have are warm bodies in our interior.
All 3 positions are needed on the line, FA will determine the positions we target in the draft.

I'd like a C and G in FA..followed by a G and swing tackle in the draft, and pray garnett becomes serviceable
That's assuming Trent and Joe stay put
Are there any former OL in here? What the hell is up with this guy's pass sets? They are gross. Why is his post foot like non-existent? Also, why does he open his shoulders/hips so early?

I wouldn't say more pressing need than guard considering Trent is actually on the roster for next season. If any of our starters at G and Center are still starters next year then we made a huge mistake in the offseason(barring injuries and even then I'd be bummed we didn't prepare better)

With Staley and Trent we don't have an URGENT need at LT. This allows us to take development guys and try to coach them up, especially in this scheme. I'm really curious to see how Alex Cappa does at the senior bowl(and hope our coaches are there to see him in person) I think he's a guy if he proves he isn't a product of low competition has a real good future for our scheme.

I wouldn't mind Connor but rather use that first rounder on another position and dip into the nice prospects this class has at G/C. Really liking Frank Ragnow more and more I watch him and would love to get him in the 3rd round if he's still there. And that's even if we sign Jensen from Baltimore who would be one of my favorite FA targets.
Originally posted by genus49:
I wouldn't say more pressing need than guard considering Trent is actually on the roster for next season. If any of our starters at G and Center are still starters next year then we made a huge mistake in the offseason(barring injuries and even then I'd be bummed we didn't prepare better)

With Staley and Trent we don't have an URGENT need at LT. This allows us to take development guys and try to coach them up, especially in this scheme. I'm really curious to see how Alex Cappa does at the senior bowl(and hope our coaches are there to see him in person) I think he's a guy if he proves he isn't a product of low competition has a real good future for our scheme.

I wouldn't mind Connor but rather use that first rounder on another position and dip into the nice prospects this class has at G/C. Really liking Frank Ragnow more and more I watch him and would love to get him in the 3rd round if he's still there. And that's even if we sign Jensen from Baltimore who would be one of my favorite FA targets.

Staley's 34 next year though so you know he's got to be replaced very soon. We have 2 routes there and that assumes we extend Brown which isn't a given. Draft a Lt like Williams and keep Brown at rt or move Brown to lt and develop a rt.

If we lock Brown down and how the experts rate Williams may change my mind but as of now I prefer a lineman who offers versatility. We're seeing this year with Joe and Brown missing some time I'd rather just move someone over then watch Beadles get slaughtered.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Dec 15, 2017 at 12:15 PM ]
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
I think he's pretty darn good if not elite and he's only 20. If he came back for his Senior year he would be considered an elite and top 5 prospect next year.

There is Nelson..and then there is everyone else in a completely separate tier below. Williams is a nice prospect but he is going to be a major project for anyone whp drafts him. Odds are that he will never be anything more than an average pass blocker in the NFL, just based on how far behind he is in terms of fundamentals. The offense he plays in doesn't come anywhere close to the demands that an NFL scheme will put on him.

I think a guy like McGlinchey, while not as talented, is a lot more ready to play from the get go, even if he likely won't be anything but a right tackle.

Where this team is at in terms of the roster, they can't afford any redshirt players. Whoever gets picked in the 1st round needs to be capable of starting Day 1.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
There is Nelson..and then there is everyone else in a completely separate tier below. Williams is a nice prospect but he is going to be a major project for anyone whp drafts him. Odds are that he will never be anything more than an average pass blocker in the NFL, just based on how far behind he is in terms of fundamentals. The offense he plays in doesn't come anywhere close to the demands that an NFL scheme will put on him.

I think a guy like McGlinchey, while not as talented, is a lot more ready to play from the get go, even if he likely won't be anything but a right tackle.

Where this team is at in terms of the roster, they can't afford any redshirt players. Whoever gets picked in the 1st round needs to be capable of starting Day 1.

Agreed. It turned around quickly but the rebuild is essentially done heading into next season. We have a quality QB and some decent players to build around. While drafting Thomas this year made sense to see him develop next year the kid gloves are off and while obviously we shouldn't expect next year's rookies to be pro bowlers from the start but whoever we draft in the first round, maybe even first 2 rounds needs to start or at the very least be a key situational player like Aldon was as a rookie.

If Staley and Brown are still on the team(i'd imagine so) an OT in the first isn't starting so i think we're much better off going in a lot of other directions.
I agree that we need to build that line across the board either with starters or depth. Strong line not only protects Jimmy G but helps the running game. To paraphrase a line from Scarface "first you get the line, then you got the power, then you get the ring."
This dude nimble enough on a screen or toss play?
Don't agree that we need a day 1 starter even though I think Williams can handle guard.

Staley, Garnett, Jensen, Fusco, Brown will do fine. There's plenty of options available to us.
Don't agree that we need a day 1 starter even though I think Williams can handle guard.

Staley, Garnett, Jensen, Fusco, Brown will do fine. There's plenty of options available to us.

Garnett shouldn't be counted on to do anything but possibly compete for one guard spot. If that is the OL they go into next season with then ShanaLynch screwed up royally.
Share 49ersWebzone