LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Connor Williams (TEX)

OL

6-6 288 lbs.

Cant wait for him to come out. Grab him and a OLine like the Cowboys and Raiders. (Staley, Garrett, Brown, C. Williams) lovely line.

This guy had a great year for Texas blocking his butt off.. Vicious blocker attacker at the line.
Where do you project him getting picked?
He's a sophmore so have to see next season, but im sure he'll be projected as 1 of the top Oline in next years class. Id say anywhere from 7-12 pick overall if he comes out.
He's declaring. My twitter timeline loves him.

Originally posted by DeHubb:
He's a sophmore so have to see next season, but im sure he'll be projected as 1 of the top Oline in next years class. Id say anywhere from 7-12 pick overall if he comes out.

He redshirted. So, he should be eligible
Originally posted by DickNasty:
He redshirted. So, he should be eligible

The post you responded to is from a year ago.

He's coming out.

[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 27, 2017 at 12:57 PM ]
Probably gonna get slammed for this but I'm not a fan at all. I worry that he has too steep of a learning curve as a pass blocker. I'm tired of one dimensional lineman and Williams would probably be best suited for the right side, at least for the first few years of his career.

I think the 49ers need immediate impact, a guy who can step in and start from Day 1 and be a positive and I see Williams being more of a project like a lot of OL coming out for the draft in recent years.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Probably gonna get slammed for this

Given you're one of the most rational and objective evaluators on this forum, I doubt you're going to get slammed.
Probably gonna get slammed for this but I'm not a fan at all. I worry that he has too steep of a learning curve as a pass blocker. I'm tired of one dimensional lineman and Williams would probably be best suited for the right side, at least for the first few years of his career.

I think the 49ers need immediate impact, a guy who can step in and start from Day 1 and be a positive and I see Williams being more of a project like a lot of OL coming out for the draft in recent years.

No slamming here. I agree. I don't think he's a top 10 pick I just didn't want to be the first person to say it.

21 QB pressures (before his injury) over 2 yrs and playing every snap. I think he's a cleaner prospect than Tunsil (if Tunsil had a weakness on field it was pass blocking)

Originally posted by Hysterikal:
No slamming here. I agree. I don't think he's a top 10 pick I just didn't want to be the first person to say it.

I'd be okay with him if they traded down a few times, got an extra 2nd rounder and used that to select Braden Smith out of Auburn.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

21 QB pressures (before his injury) over 2 yrs and playing every snap. I think he's a cleaner prospect than Tunsil (if Tunsil had a weakness on field it was pass blocking)

What I look at with Williams is that he's well behind the curve as a pass blocker, just because he gets away with it at the college level doesn't mean NFL pass rushers won't dollywop him early on. He lacks fundamentals and will need a lot of coaching in that regard to hold his own in that area. I fully expect him to be a quality run blocker from Day 1.

I just see him as too much of a project to drop an early pick on, especially with Nelson out there who I think could be plugged in from Day 1 and do well as a pass blocker and run blocker early on. Like I said, my opinion probably isn't a popular one but considering the bust rate of tackles over the past 5 years and with all those guys who failed having fairly similar profiles in terms of lacking fundamentals, particularly in pass blocking, Williams worries me.
Is "dollywop" the opposite of a "pancake"?
Originally posted by kirkscrafford:
Is "dollywop" the opposite of a "pancake"?

Watch #69

It's becoming difficult to get excited about any first-round OL prospect for me. I'm starting to only have eyes for Quenton Nelson.
Share 49ersWebzone