LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Mock offseason 2.0

Originally posted by fan49:
watson at 2 is a huge reach talent wise! HUGE!

watson is not the cleanest prospect (no one in this draft is at qb) but he does have the talent to be a top 5 prospect for sure

i do think he needs to sit for 1 year and we should sit him for a year no matter how bad situation gets next year - let him get a bit bigger learn a pro style offense and work on the classroom (reading coverage better) he is smart so i dont doubt he can do it but i dont like the idea of throwing him to the wolves

talent wise i think he is a top overall pick no doubt

he has to learn to runa more pro style offense and his biggest issue is locking on receivers and not reading coverage consistantly
  • fan49
  • Veteran
why draft top 3 and not walk away with a top 3?
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by harryj:

watson is not the cleanest prospect (no one in this draft is at qb) but he does have the talent to be a top 5 prospect for sure

i do think he needs to sit for 1 year and we should sit him for a year no matter how bad situation gets next year - let him get a bit bigger learn a pro style offense and work on the classroom (reading coverage better) he is smart so i dont doubt he can do it but i dont like the idea of throwing him to the wolves

he has to learn to runa more pro style offense and his biggest issue is locking on receivers and not reading coverage consistantly

watson is no top 5 talent in this draft!!!!!!!
Is he better than Garrett? Foster? Fournette? Peppers? Allen? Williams? hell no! I could easily go on...
[ Edited by fan49 on Dec 13, 2016 at 1:20 PM ]

Is he better than Garrett? Foster? Fournette? Peppers? Allen? Williams? hell no! I could easily go on...

He is more valuable to his teams success than all of the mentioned players. No other qb in the nation has played nearly as well as Watson the last half of the season.

People like to think that Clemson is loaded with talent and that's why he puts up good numbers, but Clemson's OLine and running game haven't been great this year.

I think if it's between Garrett and Watson, the pick is Garrett. If Garrett is gone, I don't see any of those players having a high enough ceiling that translates to the teams success as Watson does.
[ Edited by birdie2bogey on Dec 13, 2016 at 9:17 PM ]

11 months ago, Watson was the no-brainer #1 pick for the 2017 draft. Unquestionably. People still lived Garrett, but Watson's dominance at the most vital position in sports was freshly on display, as he nearly led a vastly over-matched Clemson roster to an astonishing upset over an Alabama juggernaut, finding holes in a defense where no one else could all season.

Fast forward to now, and he has progressed as a passer by doing more of his damage from inside the pocket and presenting a much less consistent threat to run the ball. His interceptions are concerning, but a significant portion of those are off of tipped balls. While he has definitely made some bad decisions that resulted in turnovers, his numbers are far better than those of Jameis Winston in his final season, and Winston went #1 overall. At this point, Watson has been picked apart by draft experts because he has been the #1 prospect for the whole year. That spot always gets overly scrutinized, and his slight downturn in statistical production has only exacerbated the spotlight effect. He's still te same guy with a astonishing set of physical talents. He's still the same guy who turns his game up to the next level with the game on the line, and he's still the same guy who plays his best football in big games.

No QB in this draft is ready to start day one without development, and that's just not the NCAA to NFL jump anymore. He could learn enough in camp to get there (like Dak and Wentz), but it's silly to expect him to be there now. He's also an early grad, so he can report to his team directly after the draft.

By talent, He's absolutely a top 5 pick (arm, accuracy, clutch, competitive on 3rd down, work ethic). Because he's a QB, the only reason he wouldn't go #1, IMO, is because a QB-needy team prefers Trubisky or because a team falls in love with Myles Garrett's total package of Talent, skill, ethic, attitude, and they ascribe to the "win with a dominant defense" model.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Overall, looks like a good plan to address all the Niners pressing needs. I just wonder if Watson or any QB is worth a top 10 pick. If Mahomes declares, I would rather take him in the second or third round. Good job on the WR picks with Westbrook and Etta-Tawo.

They are not... why have a top three pick if you're not going to have the top three talent
Absolute stellar offseason. A change to the front office, quality FA additions along the line and pass rushing, QB of the future, explosive WR early, immediate starting potential next to Bowman in the 3rd round, more pass rushing in the 4th, speed threat at WR late in the draft.....great job

No offense but your talent evaluation system holds no bearing in the real world. Its not just about pure talent, its about positional value as well. A potential franchise QB will always hold the most value. Some positions will always be rated higher because of how in demand they are. Its likely that we'll see two QB's go in the Top 10 in the upcoming draft, with it being very likely that at least 1 goes in the top 5.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 15, 2016 at 10:09 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

No offense but your talent evaluation system holds no bearing in the real world. Its not just about pure talent, its about positional value as well. A potential franchise QB will always hold the most value. Some positions will always be rated higher because of how in demand they are. Its likely that we'll see two QB's go in the Top 10 in the upcoming draft, with it being very likely that at least 1 goes in the top 5.

[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 15, 2016 at 10:46 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Share 49ersWebzone