LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 449 users in the forums

The Niners' 2nd & 3rd Picks; Whom Do Y'Want?

Here are the guys I want the Niners to pick 2nd. Some of these guys may require a trade up (in order).

2nd Pick (in order):

1. Charles Harris DE Mizzu (if they draft Trubisky).
2. Corey Davis WR W.M. (if they draft Myles)
3. OJ Howard TE 'Bama
3. Jarrad Davis ILB Florida
4. Quenton Nelson OG Notre Dame (can he play Center?)
5. Dawuane Smoot DE Illinois
6. Christian McCaffrey RB Stanford

And that's about it. Anyone else (at this point) will probably go to high or isn't worth the pick.

3rd Pick (in order):

1. Carl Lawson (if no DE in the first 2 picks)
2. La'Davious White CB LSU (would probably need a trade up)
3. Bucky Hodges TE Virginia Tech.
4. Evan Engram TE / WR Ole Miss (convert to WR; I don't want a TE who can't block)
5. Davis Webb QB Cal (backup / stopgap material).
6. Jake Butt TE Michigan
7. Nick Chubb RB Georgia

Who are your favourite, potential, 2nd & 3rd picks?
Corey Davis or Takkarist McKinley in the 2nd, unfortunately I think both will go quite a bit earlier.
Jarred Davis in the 2nd.

Would be awesome if Justin Evans fell to the 3rd.
Watson/Trubisky or Myles Garrett in the first round.

Use our 2nd+4th+6th to move up and secure Corey Davis. He won't last until the second.

As for our third-round pick, if don't get myles garrett, I want a guy I haven't seen a single person on the webzone mention: Joe Mathis. Has prototypical 3-4 OLB size. I think he's one of the best edge rushers in the draft. A very talented player that could slip in the draft due to his time off from a foot injury and a deep draft. The guy is a savage on the field. Relentless He can win with power or speed, and his motor runs hot.

Lol

[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 11, 2016 at 10:46 PM ]
Deshaun Watson in the 3rd
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Here are the guys I want the Niners to pick 2nd. Some of these guys may require a trade up (in order).

2nd Pick (in order):

1. Charles Harris DE Mizzu (if they draft Trubisky).
2. Corey Davis WR W.M. (if they draft Myles)
3. OJ Howard TE 'Bama
3. Jarrad Davis ILB Florida
4. Quenton Nelson OG Notre Dame (can he play Center?)
5. Dawuane Smoot DE Illinois
6. Christian McCaffrey RB Stanford

And that's about it. Anyone else (at this point) will probably go to high or isn't worth the pick.

3rd Pick (in order):

1. Carl Lawson (if no DE in the first 2 picks)
2. La'Davious White CB LSU (would probably need a trade up)
3. Bucky Hodges TE Virginia Tech.
4. Evan Engram TE / WR Ole Miss (convert to WR; I don't want a TE who can't block)
5. Davis Webb QB Cal (backup / stopgap material).
6. Jake Butt TE Michigan
7. Nick Chubb RB Georgia

Who are your favourite, potential, 2nd & 3rd picks?

With almost $9 million invested in the TE position I think we can forgo drafting anyone.
I'd
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Corey Davis or Takkarist McKinley in the 2nd, unfortunately I think both will go quite a bit earlier.

This. But if you go this route in the 2nd then probably trade up a bit for Mahomes in the late 2nd? And a flier on a guy like Kelly or a project qb in later rounds.
Originally posted by jcs:
With almost $9 million invested in the TE position I think we can forgo drafting anyone.

That's not a good strategy. If the Vikings thought like that, they never would've drafted Randy Moss. If a talent like OJ Howard is there, you gotta consider him & use 2-TE sets. In fact, OJ can split out wide in a lot of formations. He's EXTREMELY fast for his size.

Same thing, to a lesser extent, w/ Bucky Hodges. And both have toughness that will help in the run game.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
That's not a good strategy. If the Vikings thought like that, they never would've drafted Randy Moss. If a talent like OJ Howard is there, you gotta consider him & use 2-TE sets. In fact, OJ can split out wide in a lot of formations. He's EXTREMELY fast for his size.

Same thing, to a lesser extent, w/ Bucky Hodges. And both have toughness that will help in the run game.

With over almost $9 million invested in 2 TE's I think it is good strategy to not invest another high round pick on a TE. That figure also doesn't include Hamm and Bell whom we've already invested a 4th round pick on.
[ Edited by jcs on Dec 12, 2016 at 1:30 AM ]
That rb foreman from Texas declare? Maybe in the late rounds

Exactly.
Originally posted by jcs:

With over almost $9 invested in 2 TE's I think it is good strategy to not invest another high round pick on a TE. That figure also doesn't include Hamm and Bell whom we've already invested a 4th round pick on.

Who's the other TE? Celek?

Just cut him. Problem solved.
Edge rusher, QB, WR1 and ILB are the main positions I'm looking to fill this year. Some combination of QB/EDGE 1st/2nd picks works for me. This is a deep edge class and it's the 2nd most important position on the team. I also would be fine with QB in round 1/ WR in round 2. Giving a young QB a fresh group of young weapons to grow with wouldn't be bad. Colts got Fleener, Allen, Hilton same year as Luck.
would love to have a WR in the second if good value is there. need some infusion of young talent and someone to grow together with the new qb.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Watson/Trubisky or Myles Garrett in the first round.

Use our 2nd+4th+6th to move up and secure Corey Davis. He won't last until the second.

As for our third-round pick, if don't get myles garrett, I want a guy I haven't seen a single person on the webzone mention: Joe Mathis. Has prototypical 3-4 OLB size. I think he's one of the best edge rushers in the draft. A very talented player that could slip in the draft due to his time off from a foot injury and a deep draft. The guy is a savage on the field. Relentless He can win with power or speed, and his motor runs hot.

Lol

Agreed. I like Joe a lot. Disclaimer, I'm a UW fan... :-) but you are right about his motor. The guy plays hard.
Share 49ersWebzone