LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 189 users in the forums

9moon: QB First for Cleveland while Tenn went for Two

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by 9moon:
You all are already putting the guy to the Bruce Smith level...

And you're putting Garoppolo to the Tom Brady level already.

Well, first of all.. when you do this IMAGINATIVE TRADES OR WHEEL DEALS, you've got to play both cards as the teams GM.. you can't just be a 49er and be one sided...

..and since it's obvious that you don't know how the wheelin n dealin in the NFL works, you be the GM for New England.. and think about 4 teams calling you for Grappy, can you tell me right now, WHAT YOU WOULD BE ASKIN FOR IF YOU WERE THAT GM OF THE PATRIOTS??
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
The pick comparison with Rodgers or Ware is not close IMO. For one, there is no Aaron Rodgers in this draft, nor did we know how good Rodgers was gonna be coming outta college with all the red flags of Tedford QB's were getting. Would I pass on college Aaron Rodgers for Garrett, again absolutely not and I can say that without bias I really can.

And you say you would take "Ware over Alex Smith", you just pretty much agreed with me right there with that comment.

But of course you need to do your homework and not be scared to pick that QB. But again, if you have a chance to get a player like Garrett and there is no proclaimed QB who is the best overall player in the draft like Garrett is then you simply take Garrett and just take your QB later. I'm not saying NOT to take a QB in this draft, I'm saying you don't pass up Garrett.

And the same people were saying Aaron Rodgers is no Steve Young, Brett Favre. There's a reason he fell 20 picks. The idea that this is an exact science and you can just say nope he's not that good of a prospect doesn't hold up. We don't know but that's where Chip comes in. He's got to make a judgement call.

I don't agree that you can just wait until the perfect qb comes by. You'll be waiting until 2040.

I don't have anything against taking Garrett but qb is the most important position so you have to weigh your options with every pick until you have one. You're right with Alex am I saying you don't want to overreach and that's always a risk you take. So scout the qb's and if there's one you love then you weigh it.

So again your proving my point that you can take a QB later in the draft. I'm not saying NOT to take a QB early, matter of fact I've always stated since prospects were being talked up this season that the 49ers SHOULD trade back up into the 1st round to take a QB IF they take Garrett first. And then again maybe they can wait till the 2nd round to take a QB depending who's there. After all the 49ers 2nd round pick should be anywhere from 34-38 which is basically a late 1st round pick so a trade up into the late 20's in the 1st round wouldn't be too bad.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
GUYYSSSS !!

GUYSSSSSS !!

GUYYYYSSSSSS !!

GARRETT has yet to play a down in the NFL and you all are already saying that it would be a DISASTER to trade the 2nd overall pick if he was there??

HOUSTON TEXANS have THE BEST defensive player or THE BEST DL in JJ WATTS .. he's been the best DEFENSIVE PLAYER for the last 3 years at least, has he gotten them to the Super Bowl????

There was a time where our Defense was as good as Seattle's defense, but the play of RUSSELL over Kaepernick over the years made the difference..

I don't care how bad Peyton Manning was in his last year with Denver, but I know for a fact that every defense played him w/respect when he was in the line up..

Well, first of all.. when you do this IMAGINATIVE TRADES OR WHEEL DEALS, you've got to play both cards as the teams GM.. you can't just be a 49er and be one sided...

..and since it's obvious that you don't know how the wheelin n dealin in the NFL works, you be the GM for New England.. and think about 4 teams calling you for Grappy, can you tell me right now, WHAT YOU WOULD BE ASKIN FOR IF YOU WERE THAT GM OF THE PATRIOTS??

Dude, dont act like you know how the wheelin n dealin works either. No team would offer that much for him.

Dude, dont act like you know how the wheelin n dealin works either. No team would offer that much for him.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if some Team does offer NE a deal like that.

I just sure as $h!t hope it isn't us.....
GUYYSSSS !!

GUYSSSSSS !!

GUYYYYSSSSSS !!

GARRETT has yet to play a down in the NFL and you all are already saying that it would be a DISASTER to trade the 2nd overall pick if he was there??

HOUSTON TEXANS have THE BEST defensive player or THE BEST DL in JJ WATTS .. he's been the best DEFENSIVE PLAYER for the last 3 years at least, has he gotten them to the Super Bowl????

There was a time where our Defense was as good as Seattle's defense, but the play of RUSSELL over Kaepernick over the years made the difference..

I don't care how bad Peyton Manning was in his last year with Denver, but I know for a fact that every defense played him w/respect when he was in the line up..

Except our defense did get us to the Superbowl and 2 NFC Championships. However our defense being banged up and not playing well is the reason we lost the SB. Unless you think allowing 30+ points is what a great defense does.
I don't think Garoppolo's stock is any higher than Schaub's was when Houston traded for him. They gave Atlanta two 2nds and swapped 1st round picks (2 spot difference).

IF the Pats want to trade him, which we don't know, a deal like that should be enough.
So again your proving my point that you can take a QB later in the draft. I'm not saying NOT to take a QB early, matter of fact I've always stated since prospects were being talked up this season that the 49ers SHOULD trade back up into the 1st round to take a QB IF they take Garrett first. And then again maybe they can wait till the 2nd round to take a QB depending who's there. After all the 49ers 2nd round pick should be anywhere from 34-38 which is basically a late 1st round pick so a trade up into the late 20's in the 1st round wouldn't be too bad.

The problem with that is you may not be getting your choice. You can't take any qb you'll end up with JP Losman.

If Watson falls I'd be all for doing what you said but Clemson could win the national title and he could be the top pick. It's still early enough where I don't want to player project.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Dec 8, 2016 at 9:06 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I don't think Garoppolo's stock is any higher than Schaub's was when Houston traded for him. They gave Atlanta two 2nds and swapped 1st round picks (2 spot difference).

IF the Pats want to trade him, which we don't know, a deal like that should be enough.

i am asking you what you would ask for if you were the GM of the Patriots and teams are calling you for GRAPPY..

i am asking you what you would ask for if you were the GM of the Patriots and teams are calling you for GRAPPY..

I'd start off with two 1st round picks. If a team was stupid enough to do it I'd go up. Since there's no way a team would be that stupid I'd say a 1st or two 2nds.

I'd start off with two 1st round picks. If a team was stupid enough to do it I'd go up. Since there's no way a team would be that stupid I'd say a 1st or two 2nds.

Or if he is that good and I couldn't get two 1sts, I would keep him. Right now I haven't even enough of him to be convinced.
Originally posted by English:

Or if he is that good and I couldn't get two 1sts, I would keep him. Right now I haven't even enough of him to be convinced.

Yep, we have no idea if they want to trade him at all. They are just as likely to extend him.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Well, there you go..

We all know the Pats (and any other team) would not trade Grappy for anything less than two 1st rounder.. he showed some potential, so it's up to the other team if they are convinced that it was enough..

it's really simple, teams who in needs of QB and would not ask about Grappy tells you that they just haven't seen enough..

and a GM, like myself (if i was running the 4ers) just do not see anyone in the draft better than Grappy... so I would send an old solid OT (Staley), and a DT that I don't even think is any good (AA), and a couple of picks ..

you don't know when you can be a GM again, so my attitude is that I wanna be a contender asap, so I would wheel and deal for the players who would get me there in my belief.

Gabbert showed me that he can be a solid backup, and i'm not gonna rely on Kaep to get his old MOJO back..
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by tjd808185:

The problem with that is you may not be getting your choice. You can't take any qb you'll end up with JP Losman.

If Watson falls I'd be all for doing what you said but Clemson could win the national title and he could be the top pick. It's still early enough where I don't want to player project.

The reason I think you're disagreeing with me right now because you have a hard time looking past Watson. Honestly I don't think Watson goes in the top 10 at all, I think too much credit is going to Watson for putting up all these stats. But that's just my opinion. I could see your logic if Watson was considered the best player in the entire draft, but he's hardly that. You could say the same for Trubisky too only he's got prototypical size that teams look for along with accuracy and poise, but I don't think he's worth passing Garrett for either.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Has Trubisky shown enough thus far to be even mentioned on the TOP 10?
Share 49ersWebzone