LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 208 users in the forums

The Kelly/Gamble Mock V2.0

Overall - pretty good and almost realistic.

Agree that it'll probably be Gamble & Chip

Hate Cutler but in your defense - there really isn't anyone I can think of that will come the Niner Wasteland.

Agree on Garapalo - I don't feel he is all that good - it's the Belicheck system.

IMO, we need a transition QB like a Hoyer. Let's face it we aren't going to the Super Bowl next year BUT need to develop a future guy and have the transition guy holding down the fort.

LOVE the Garrett pick and pray we get him.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Hate Cutler but in your defense - there really isn't anyone I can think of that will come the Niner Wasteland.

Agree on Garapalo - I don't feel he is all that good - it's the Belicheck system.

IMO, we need a transition QB like a Hoyer. Let's face it we aren't going to the Super Bowl next year BUT need to develop a future guy and have the transition guy holding down the fort.

im ok with cutler because we need a 1 year vet

cutler does get a bad rap some of it deserved but hes a decent qb

love draft - biggest weakness i see with this scenario is still wr
Originally posted by GEEK:
New VP of Player Personnel: Tom Gamble
*He doesn't get the GM title yet. Similar to the Singletary/Baalke dynamic, I think Kelly and Gamble split decision making powers. Let 2017 be a prove it year for both of them. If they can make progress, Gamble will get the GM title. If not...well we will clean house.

New DC: Lou Spanos - LB Coach - Titans
*Don't count on us being able to get a top notch DC coach. Spanos was a former DC for UCLA under Jim Mora and former LB coach under Shanahan. He's done a good job for TEN this season, and he's learned under LeBeau.

Personnel Moves -

Gone/Release: Bethea - S, Martin - C, Kaepernick - QB, Gabbert - QB

Resign: Kerley - WR, McDonald - TE, Dawson - K, Hodges - ILB, Armstrong - ILB, Lewis - QB, Streater - WR, Draughn - WR, Dorsey - NT

Free Agency:

Trumaine Johnson - CB - Rams | Top 5 CB in the NFL, Johnson immediately becomes our #1 CB. Ward moves to FS with Reid sliding to SS.

Jay Cutler - QB - Bears (released) | With Kelly's coaching style and QB friendly offense, Cutler could be a short term gap to make our offense competitive and vertical. We can finally utilize Torrey Smith in the deep passing game. Both he and Kelly are looking for redemption coming off poor seasons.

Brian Quick - WR - Rams | Tall physical weapon with a similar skill set to Kelly's Reilly Cooper. We steal him from a division rival.

Bennie Logan - NT/DT - Eagles | Assuming we skip the Poe sweepstakes, Logan would make a great 2nd tier signing. He can play NT in a 3-4 or 4-2-5 scheme.

Sean Spence - ILB - Titans | Competes with Hodges and Armstrong for one of the starting ILB spots on the roster.

NFL Draft -

R1: Myles Garrett - DE/OLB - Texas A&M | We start with our version of Von Miller. Garrett will boost our pass rush ability x10.

49ers trade 2nd, Tank Carradine, and 6th (via DEN) for Cowboys 1st round pick.

R1: Deshaun Watson - QB - Clemson (via DAL) | We trade up at the tail end of the 1st round to snag our QB of the future. We also get the 5th year option with the trade up. Very talented but inconsistent. Late Day 1, Early Day 2 projection based on a variety of rankings.

R3: Jordan Leggett - TE - Clemson | A tall weapon that competes for the starting TE job. We'll see plenty of 2 TE sets though with Leggett and McDonald on the ends.

R4: Josh Reynolds - WR - Texas A&M | Tall lanky receiver that reminds me a bit of Martavis Bryant, but just a bit slower. He'll be a nice part of our 4 WR sets.

R4: Kyle Fuller - C/OG - Baylor (comp) | Interior depth that will potentially take over for Kilgore when his contract expires.

R5: Jon Heck - OT - UNC | Competition for Brown at RT and a backup swing tackle. Theus moves to Guard.

R5: Ejuan Price - DE/LB - Pitt (via WAS) | Undersized outside pass rusher with a comparison to Elvis Dumervil. High risk high reward pick here.

R6: Joey Ivie - DT/DE - Florida | He's got the frame to be a 5 tech in our scheme. Competes with Jones for a roster or PS spot.

R7: Brooks Ellis - LB - Arkansas (via CLE) | PS Candidate

R7: Brandon Radcliff - RB - Louisville | PS Candidate

Depth Chart -

QB: Cutler*/Watson*/Ponder
RB: Hyde/Harris/Draughn/Davis (PS Ellis)
TE: Leggett*/McDonald/Celek/Hamm

WR: Smith/Reynolds*
WR: Quick*/Streater
WR: Kerley/Harper

LT: Staley/Heck*
LG: Beadles
C: Kilgore/Fuller*
RG: Garnett/Theus
RT: Brown

LE: Armstead/Dial
NT: Logan*/Dorsey
RE: Buckner/Blair

OLB: Garrett*/Brooks
ILB: Bowman/Spence*
ILB: Hodges/Armstrong
OLB: Lynch/Harold/Price*

CB: Johnson*/Reaser
CB: Brock/Redmond
FS: Ward/Cromartie
SS: Reid/Tartt
CB: Robinson/Johnson

ST: Dawson, Pinion, Nelson
I like your thinking in Garret and watson picks,Trumaine Johnson yes,Quick ok, TE Legett YES ,Reynolds I will look into before signing off,but overall I like your Draft.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by NM16:
Jay cutler is cancer. I wouldnt want him anywhere near this team

Yeah just get rid of Cutler and add Zach Brown or Kiko at LB and this is golden. You sold me at getting both Garrett and Watson already, that alone would improve us drastically

x2
  • Jiks
I'd be happy with all of this.
Jay Cutler? Sorry, dude. Even as a stopgap, he isn't the answer.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

You watch Jimmy G in college? Here's his draft profile

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/jimmy-garoppolo?id=2543801

And a lot of those weaknesses have been overcome with learning for a couple yrs...he's ready to be a starter. System or not he can make all the throws.
Can't get down with Cutler. Like someone else said he is a cancer. I have a few Bears fans and they can't stand him. I agree that he would be alright under Chip and the stop gap thing but just Don't like his demeanor or attitude.

Like the Gamble and D.C. Hire and of course Myles
I like it. The defense would be the strength with the offense not to many years behind. I think Watson is going to climb back up the board though. I do not see him getting out of the top 5.
Like everyone else that heard Cutler mentioned I said no way, but who else is there that's better? Belichick doesn't give ice in the winter , if Garroppolo is available that tells me he is not the next QB after Brady. Tank? He can be had for nothing.

• Jasta
  • Veteran
Damn I'd get Fitzpatrick over Cutler... even with the season he had this year. Would still probably prefer herpes though.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Tarrt can move to strong safety Reed can stay at free safety and Jimmy Ward can stay at cb
Myles or Watson in the 1st, Corey Davis 2nd
  • kaynj
  • Veteran
I personally think it will be Myles if he is there in the first. I would stay with the picks we have cause in the second I really feel like we need a explosive receiver or a quarterback. I would consider using some picks to trade back up in to the second for an additional second round for a quarterback though and I would go receiver with the first second round pick. I really feel like Corey Davis or De De Westbrook will both be there. I would take Davis over Westbrook but I wouldnt be mad at either being picked. They can both take the top off the defense are very fast and run good routes and can catch the ball very well with there hands. I would then use the second of the second round picks for Baker Mayfield or Watson. I really like Mayfield and his deep ball and the way he extends plays.

FIRST THREE PICKS
Myles
Corey Davis/De De Westbrook
Baker Mayfield/ Watson
  • kaynj
  • Veteran
This would automatically make us very explosive on the edges. Of course everything starts up front on both sides of the ball but we suck on the edges and these players will make the niners exciting again to watch.
Today's nfl the edges are very important on offense and defense. Pass rushers, cornerbacks and receivers can change the game in seconds.
Share 49ersWebzone