LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Takkarist McKinley OLB UCLA

Originally posted by NinerSickness:
So we have 2 things going on w/ this guy.

1. EXCELLENT combine numbers. He lacks nothing in athleticism

2. Had a major injury (shoulder).

Anyone have any clue where most people are projecting this guy to go? I think Taco goes in the first, but this guy could go anywhere from the late 1st to 3rd round IMO.

Those combine numbers were far from excellent. Yes his explosion drills were pretty damn good, but his 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle drill (2 of the most important drills for a passrusher) were PISS poor. He is stiff as a board and can't bend the edge and it showed up today. GM's are going to have major doubts about how he can translate to the NFL, where he can't just use his straight line speed to win.
Originally posted by shmuck:
So we have 2 things going on w/ this guy.

1. EXCELLENT combine numbers. He lacks nothing in athleticism

2. Had a major injury (shoulder).

Anyone have any clue where most people are projecting this guy to go? I think Taco goes in the first, but this guy could go anywhere from the late 1st to 3rd round IMO.

Those combine numbers were far from excellent. Yes his explosion drills were pretty damn good, but his 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle drill (2 of the most important drills for a passrusher) were PISS poor. He is stiff as a board and can't bend the edge and it showed up today. GM's are going to have major doubts about how he can translate to the NFL, where he can't just use his straight line speed to win.

He didn't win with straight line speed in college - he won with effort and did show some ability to bend off the edge (he's not Von Miller, but he's not as stiff as his 3 cone drill and shuttle indicate either). There are tons of examples of players who can bend who had bad 3 cone or shuttle times (Aldon Smith had a 4.5 shuttle) or players who aren't flexible off the edge who had good times in the drill. Tim Williams an another example of a guy who can bend, but did poorly on those drills (7.36 and 4.57). If he learns how to use his hands, he'll be effective as a pass rusher.

Takk looked okay in the bag drill. He guessed a couple times in the drill where he's supposed to follow directions and flip his hips so it was hard to get a read on that. Not seeing the major stiffness concerns you're worried about.
Haason Riddick says hello . Guy will be shooting up the charts.
Originally posted by djsatu:
Haason Riddick says hello . Guy will be shooting up the charts.

He'd play the SAM for us most likely.
Its been rumored that he scored a 3 on his Wonderlic.

Dafuq, don't you get like two points just for spelling your name correctly? If the 49ers draft him they might have to bring back the Chip Kelly style cue cards on the sideline just to keep him lining up in the right spot.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Dafuq, don't you get like two points just for spelling your name correctly? If the 49ers draft him they might have to bring back the Chip Kelly style cue cards on the sideline just to keep him lining up in the right spot.

But to be fair his first name is hard to spell
UCLA defenders are notoriously busty.

I can see it. He also guaranteed he'd run a 4.4 at the combine and turned in a 4.59. Makes you question whether he can learn to use his hands better as a pass rusher. I figured he's raw, but he has good athleticism, great length, and a good motor so we could develop him, but I'm not sure if he's mentally retarded.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
I can see it. He also guaranteed he'd run a 4.4 at the combine and turned in a 4.59. Makes you question whether he can learn to use his hands better as a pass rusher. I figured he's raw, but he has good athleticism, great length, and a good motor so we could develop him, but I'm not sure if he's mentally retarded.

Throughout his college career, I didn't suspect anything wrong upstairs. I started to worry after his draft stage interview with Deion.

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/15/falcons-takkarist-mckinley-detained-police-mental-health-check/
According to a report by TMZ Sports, Falcons defensive end Takkarist McKinley has been detained by police in Los Angeles and is getting a mental health evaluation. McKinley has not been arrested or charged with a crime, and TMZ said he's cooperating.

IIRC he had trouble qualifying for Cal out of HS, which is weird considering that Cal is traditionally more lenient than UCLA.
Maybe the krizay was a factor.

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by zonkers:
Throughout his college career, I didn't suspect anything wrong upstairs. I started to worry after his draft stage interview with Deion.

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/15/falcons-takkarist-mckinley-detained-police-mental-health-check/
According to a report by TMZ Sports, Falcons defensive end Takkarist McKinley has been detained by police in Los Angeles and is getting a mental health evaluation. McKinley has not been arrested or charged with a crime, and TMZ said he's cooperating.

IIRC he had trouble qualifying for Cal out of HS, which is weird considering that Cal is traditionally more lenient than UCLA.

Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by zonkers:

Just accept it, you're the one to blame
UCLA defenders are notoriously busty.

Nice. But on a woman, not a football player.
Nice little recap

Welcome to the team
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

He almost broke Vince Young ALL TIME low score then !!

Nevertheless, he's going to lead our team in SACKS as long as Saleh just tells him what # the QB is.... better yet, Saleh just need to show him a picture of the opposing QB every Defensive series..
Share 49ersWebzone