LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Takkarist McKinley OLB UCLA

Originally posted by Heroism:
We've all but locked up a top 3 pick. Nobody is going to mortgage their future for a single player in this draft. People need to forget about 'trading down'. It's not happening.

as for takk mckinley, count me in. love his motor and tenacity on the field.

Unless someone falls in love with a qb not happening agreed (I mean we might fall in love with one lol).
I've been interested in him since reading this article (saw it on the Draft Daddy blog, I'll link that site as well at the end, by far my favorite draft site/info. It's not a real "blog", more of a repository for scouting reports - they link to BR, CBS Sports, etc. - as well as human interest and more in depth articles, some from local college writers and even the players' hometown papers)

** The scout also noted McKinley has run the 100 meters in 10.58 seconds. Of course, that was some 30 pounds and roughly four years ago, when McKinley was a high school track runner at 230 pounds. At Kennedy High School, he clocked his 10.58 in a preliminary heat of the state track meet in 2012. **
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000723901/article/scout-uclas-takkarist-mckinley-could-be-next-demarcus-ware

This is a good article, too:
*** UCLA's defense, if not every player on the team, has found its mandate for moments when limbs ache or things aren't going the way they were intended, which seems to be often lately for the Bruins.Look at Takk. ***
http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-football-20161024-snap-story.html

Draft Daddy Blog link:
http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.htm
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000752909/article/scout-watson-critiques-are-overkill-heard-same-about-dak
The scoop: "He was my sleeper headed into the season, but that went out the window with the (quality) season he had this year. I think he's a second-rounder who needs time (to develop), but he'll probably get overdrafted. He's going to be a productive pro." -- AFC area scout on UCLA DE Takkarist McKinley

The skinny: I recently finished my draft profile on McKinley after hearing some of the in-season hype and it was a strange journey through the tape for me. On one hand, McKinley's hand usage and pass-rush skills were very basic and in desperate need of work. He also had some stiffness in his lower body that was easy to spot early on. With all of that said, the word "relentless" might not completely capture his motor. He has a slippery way of working off blocks and finding his way into sacks and tackle production. It doesn't always look pretty for him, but the effort is top-notch, and with coaching, he should projects as a solid NFL starter.

Originally posted by shmuck:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000752909/article/scout-watson-critiques-are-overkill-heard-same-about-dak
The scoop: "He was my sleeper headed into the season, but that went out the window with the (quality) season he had this year. I think he's a second-rounder who needs time (to develop), but he'll probably get overdrafted. He's going to be a productive pro." -- AFC area scout on UCLA DE Takkarist McKinley

The skinny: I recently finished my draft profile on McKinley after hearing some of the in-season hype and it was a strange journey through the tape for me. On one hand, McKinley's hand usage and pass-rush skills were very basic and in desperate need of work. He also had some stiffness in his lower body that was easy to spot early on. With all of that said, the word "relentless" might not completely capture his motor. He has a slippery way of working off blocks and finding his way into sacks and tackle production. It doesn't always look pretty for him, but the effort is top-notch, and with coaching, he should projects as a solid NFL starter.

You can work with poor technique as long as the guy has the motor and doesn't quit on plays. I can see him getting a bunch of effort sacks simply because he overworks his blockers over and over throughout the game.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

You can work with poor technique as long as the guy has the motor and doesn't quit on plays. I can see him getting a bunch of effort sacks simply because he overworks his blockers over and over throughout the game.

I like him a decent bit but I'm still a little worried about his ability to dip and bend around the edge. Idk if that is something that can be taught or not but if was able to do that he would be a sure fire top ten pick. My question is, is there any other dominant 3-4 edge players that completely lack that ability as well?

I like him a decent bit but I'm still a little worried about his ability to dip and bend around the edge. Idk if that is something that can be taught or not but if was able to do that he would be a sure fire top ten pick. My question is, is there any other dominant 3-4 edge players that completely lack that ability as well?

Sounds a lot like Jerry Hughes on the Bills. Maybe a little more athletic, but also a little more raw as a pass rusher. Hughes is about the same size and seems to win with effort in the NFL rather than the ability to bend - I wouldn't call him a dominant 3-4 edge player, but you're not likely to draft a dominant edge rusher in the 2nd round.

If McKinley turns out to be Jerry Hughes, I'd be happy with taking him in the 2nd round if we miss out on Garrett in the first round.

Aldon Smith was terrible at dipping his shoulder and running the edge. He used his length/strength to create dominant leverage.
  • bors
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Aldon Smith was terrible at dipping his shoulder and running the edge. He used his length/strength to create dominant leverage.

Well that and he used this guy named Justin smith
Originally posted by bors:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Well that and he used this guy named Justin smith

I think the T/E stunt narrative is overblown. Aldon won a lot on his own. Justin Smith's presence probably granted Aldon more 1 on 1 blocking than you'd expect for a pass rusher of his ability, but Cowboy only gift wrapped a handful of sacks for Aldon.

That's exactly what I think would happen too. He wears the oline out with incredible effort and energy. Kid can be an absolute monster with some refinement and I wouldn't be mad at all if he was the consolation prize for missing out on Garrett.

A lot of people within the scouting community that I follow on twitter are absolutely enamored with Takk. Most agree he has the second highest ceiling in the draft after Garrett; some argue that he could have a higher ceiling than garrett. His combination of high motor, physique, length, hand usages, etc could culminate in a game changer at the NFL level.

Becoming my draft crush.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 5, 2017 at 10:27 AM ]
THE GOOD:love the motor seems relentless in his attack, very quick, very athletic, I liked what I saw with his hands..

THE BAD: seemed stiff hipped, I don't think he'll have the length that scouts covet for an edge guy, he might, it's hard to tell from the limited film I saw.

I do like him as a early second round guy with possibilities of jumping into the first with combine and pro day
Some of the guys breaking down his tape said most of his "stiffness" can be attributed to elevated pad level, and that it can be remedied with a good coach.

His arms appear to have good length.

UCLA website has him listed at 6'4", but he looks more like 6'2"/6'3". he's right in that that sweet spot size that 3-4 teams covet in their OLB.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 5, 2017 at 1:33 PM ]
Some of the guys breaking down his tape said most of his "stiffness" can be attributed to elevated pad level, and that it can be remedied with a good coach.

UCLA website has him listed at 6'4", but he looks more like 6'2"/6'3". he's right in that that sweet spot size that 3-4 teams covet in their OLB.

whoa he looks long armed in this picture I didnt think he was like that because on most plays there wasn't very much space between him and the tackle at all. . I like him a little more now
Originally posted by Zachary13White:

whoa he looks long armed in this picture I didnt think he was like that because on most plays there wasn't very much space between him and the tackle at all. . I like him a little more now

watch his film he looks great

i would say hes a top 15 lock

i love theis EDGE class
Share 49ersWebzone