LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

The Reboot Mock Plan

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Front Office and Coaching -

President: Al Guido | It's time for Al to take an increased role in the management and vision for this team. York needs to rely on Guido more to run the day to day from an operational standpoint.

New GM: Will McClay - Sr. Director of Pro Personnel - Cowboys | I love his background - former AFL player and coach, and he's worked on the staff of two NFL franchises. He's been an important part of the Cowboys turnaround from the draft and free agency signings. He's seen a shift from 3-4 to 4-3, and a shift in culture and team management. Guido and McClay overlapped in Dallas

New Executive Consultant: Tom Coughlin - former HC of the Giants and Jags. McClay worked for the Jags when Coughlin was coach. He'll help with the HC hunt and personnel decisions.

New HC: Vance Joseph - Current DC - Dolphins | Gase gets a lot of credit for the Miami Dolphins turnaround, but Joseph has done a fantastic job on the defensive side the ball. Most importantly, he fits his scheme based on his players strengths. Players LOVE him. He's an up and comer with a similar career progression to Mike Tomlin. He's worked for Jed York before, so he's familiar with the 49ers culture and expectations. A new identity for a new team.

New OC: Mike McCoy - Current HC - Chargers | Most likely out at the end of the year, McCoy is a great offensive mind but not a good head coach. Again, he's great at adapting his offense to his players strength. He's from SF, so it would be a great homecoming for him.

New DC: Joe Woods - Current DB Coach - Broncos | Another up and comer, Woods has an impressive resume across franchises like the Broncos, Vikings, and Bucs. He has 3-4 and 4-3 scheme, so expect Joseph and Woods to dial up a hybrid scheme. Both coaches have worked under Wade Phillips.

Roster Moves -

Cut: Bethea - S, Martin - C, Brooks - DE/LB, Kap - QB (declines option)
Resign: McDonald - TE, Hodges - LB, Patton - WR, Armstrong - LB, Dorsey - DT/NT, Dawson - K

Free Agency - (in order of cost)

Dontrai Poe - NT - Chiefs | We throw the bank at him as an anchor for our 3-4 defense.

Kevin Zeitler - OG - Bengals | It starts with the O-line, and Zeitler is a top 5 RG in the league. Garnett moves back to LG.

Mike Glennon - QB - Bucs | He's probably the best young prospect to hit FA in 2017. We give him starter money that's incentive based.

Cordarrelle Patterson - WR/KR - Vikings | Electric threat in the passing and return game, Patterson provides a spark missing from our team since Ted Ginn Jr.

Brice Butler - WR - Cowboys | McClay connection. Under the radar signing with Butler competing with Patterson and Patton for the #2 spot.

Andre Branch - DE/LB - Dolphins | Joseph connection. Replaces Brooks and competes for a starting DE/LB spot with Lynch, Carradine, and a rookie.

Jelani Jenkins - LB - Dolphins | Another Joseph connection that has done well in his career. Competes with the other LBs for a starting spot.

Jonathan Banks - CB - Lions | 1st round bust that may be a good fit in Joseph's off-man coverage scheme.

Trade -
Tank Carradine for Patriots 2018 6th round pick

NFL Draft -

R1: Myles Garrett - DE/LB - Texas A&M | Never pass on a blue chip pass rusher. Boosts our team immensely.

R2: Corey Davis - WR - Western Michigan | Late 1st/early 2nd rounder, Davis provides an immediate boost to our passing game.

49ers trade 3rd and 4th for a mid-2nd round pick.

R2: Mason Rudolph - QB - Oklahoma St (via Trade) | Assuming Rudolph is available here, we trade up to snag a promising but raw prospect. He'll learn behind Glennon for a year as he adapts to a pro system.

49ers trade 4th (comp) and 5th for late 3rd round pick

R3: Avery Gennesy - OT - Texas A&M (via Trade) | Competes with Brown as the starting RT and potentially replaces Staley once he retires.

R5: Matt Dayes - RB - NC State (via WAS) | Compact runner with a good burst and ability to gain yards after contact.

R6: Tanoh Kpassagnon - DT/DE - Villanova | 6-6 280 that can develop into a 5 tech DE in a 3-4 scheme.

R6: DeAngelo Yancey - WR - Purdue (via DEN) | Tall receiver with an ability to separate from corners for chunk yards.

49ers trade 7th round pick (via CLE) for Brandon Allen - QB - Jaguars. Former QB of the Arkansas Razorbacks.

49ers trade 7th round pick for Titans Antonio Andrews - RB. Power back.

Depth Chart -

QB: Glennon*/Rudolph*/Allen*
RB: Hyde/Andrews*/Davis/Dayes*
TE: McDonald/Celek/Bell

WR: Smith/Patton
WR: Davis*/Butler*
WR: Patterson*/Yancy*

LT: Staley
LG: Garnett/Cooper
C: Kilgore/Beadles
RG: Zeitler*/Theus
RT: Gennesy*/Brown

LE: Armstead/Dial
NT: Poe*/Dorsey
RE: Buckner/Kpassagnon*

OLB: Garrett*/Harold/Blair
ILB: Bowman/Hodges
ILB: Jenkins*/Armstrong
OLB: Lynch/Branch*

CB: Robinson/Reaser/Johnson
CB: Brock/Redmond/Banks*
FS: Ward/Cromartie
SS: Reid/Tartt

ST: Dawson, Pinion, Nelson
Rather have a offensive minded HC to be honest seemed to have more success with that. Coughlin is a east coast guy and isn't gonna come all the way out here IMHO. I do like the McCoy pickup though.

Lost me with Mike Glennon I'm sorry no way to do pay him "starter" money (yes I know incentives). I don't want him anywhere near the starting role. Overall not a huge fan of our FA outside of Poe and Zeitler. You get Vance as the coach and don't bring in Kiko come on brah lol. Our LB corps is s**t and you upgraded it with Jelani Jenkins?

Like the draft for the most part not a huge fan of Rudolph especially trading up for him... any draft that lands us Myles and Davis .Rather go with a RB that can catch the ball too.

Overall well thought out I'm not a fan of the QB situation though. Thanks for the write up!
Really well thought out especially the front office and its all actually realistic except all the FA acquisitions. Just don't think niners will attract all those guys. Would like to see some TE, Hback and returners too. Not a Glennon fan, QB looks bleak next year, niners should start Kap.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Really well thought out especially the front office and its all actually realistic except all the FA acquisitions. Just don't think niners will attract all those guys. Would like to see some TE, Hback and returners too. Not a Glennon fan, QB looks bleak next year, niners should start Kap.

Poe and Zeitler are the biggest stretches. But the rest of them are more realistic because of the connections and ability to compete for playing time.

Well we have already seen what Kap does under 3 different offensive coordinators (Roman, Chryst, and Kelly/Modkins). Glennon showed flashes and he's faced similar OC changes, but hasn't gotten a fair shot yet.

My gut is telling me...try to unknown because even if Glennon is more of a functional ball distributor type, that's a HUGE upgrade to what we currently have.

I understand the TE, HB, etc. But remember, a rebuilding team can't rebuild in one offseason. But it at least puts a solid foundation down.
Ok up to and including Garrett. I want a QBOTF with the 2nd pick. Glennon would be ok as a stop gap whilst th new guy is developed.

Whilst I appreciate it is a reboot I can't see the team cutting through everything.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Rather have a offensive minded HC to be honest seemed to have more success with that. Coughlin is a east coast guy and isn't gonna come all the way out here IMHO. I do like the McCoy pickup though.

Lost me with Mike Glennon I'm sorry no way to do pay him "starter" money (yes I know incentives). I don't want him anywhere near the starting role. Overall not a huge fan of our FA outside of Poe and Zeitler. You get Vance as the coach and don't bring in Kiko come on brah lol. Our LB corps is s**t and you upgraded it with Jelani Jenkins?

Like the draft for the most part not a huge fan of Rudolph especially trading up for him... any draft that lands us Myles and Davis .Rather go with a RB that can catch the ball too.

Overall well thought out I'm not a fan of the QB situation though. Thanks for the write up!

I actually like Rudolph a lot, but I liked him a lot more before the draftniks started touting him as a guy who could climb into the 1st. That pisses me right off. He's probably the best deep ball guy in the class, but he has some rough edges to polish. Should sit for a year or two, but the uncertainty at the top of the draft could push him out of where I'd consider him good value. I think he's great value in the 3rd, and I don't think he's terrible value in the 2nd, but I also think we'd have to trade up from our 2 to get Davis, so I'm not sure how we go get Rudolph, anyway.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I actually like Rudolph a lot, but I liked him a lot more before the draftniks started touting him as a guy who could climb into the 1st. That pisses me right off. He's probably the best deep ball guy in the class, but he has some rough edges to polish. Should sit for a year or two, but the uncertainty at the top of the draft could push him out of where I'd consider him good value. I think he's great value in the 3rd, and I don't think he's terrible value in the 2nd, but I also think we'd have to trade up from our 2 to get Davis, so I'm not sure how we go get Rudolph, anyway.

Yeah Davis is moving right up into the 1st they way he's playing. I can handle drafting Rudolph (like you said not trade up) but I can't candle glennon as the starter for a yr or two that's unacceptable.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Poe and Zeitler are the biggest stretches. But the rest of them are more realistic because of the connections and ability to compete for playing time.

Well we have already seen what Kap does under 3 different offensive coordinators (Roman, Chryst, and Kelly/Modkins). Glennon showed flashes and he's faced similar OC changes, but hasn't gotten a fair shot yet.

My gut is telling me...try to unknown because even if Glennon is more of a functional ball distributor type, that's a HUGE upgrade to what we currently have.

I understand the TE, HB, etc. But remember, a rebuilding team can't rebuild in one offseason. But it at least puts a solid foundation down.

I'm sorry what flashes has glennon shown? Never completed 60% of his passes, he's goofy and slow. You can't throw glennon in front of this fan base and say he's our starter...that's unacceptable. IF your gonna roll the dice on a developmental guy like Rudolph then go get someone like Romo who at least gives the team a little hope (ties to your GM as well).
lol at Glennon being the best young FA in 2017
I enjoyed this a lot! This is the only fun I'm having this season is the Draft Forum. Too much Gloom & Doom elsewhere.

First, EXCELLENT move on Will McClay.

Not big on the Vance Joseph FH pick - I'm really inclining towards an offensive minded HC.

IMO, way too many FA to be realistic but still interesting.

If we got Poe, Zeitler, Glennon - that would really be major.

I've been on the Garrett train for some time now.

Davis at WR would be a fine move.

Thanks!
[ Edited by LasVegasWally on Nov 23, 2016 at 10:12 AM ]

I like the draft and most if free agent pickups. Not liking Glennon. Coughlin won't move to the Left coast so he is out if the story. I'm on board with the rest. Not big on Joseph as HC but could work with McCoy helping
Would rather Mahomes then Rudolph..and I'd rather have Kap then Glennon..
Originally posted by jersey49er:

I'd have to agree. Glennon is barely a backup QB IMO. Kaepernick's a bad starter.
Like the draft, the late round trades and some of the free agent moves (Poe, Patterson, Butler and Branch). Agree with others about Mike Glennon at QB. Not the right fit for our offense. Good mock.
Originally posted by jersey49er:

Agreed with both these statements. Other then that
Share 49ersWebzone