LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Zay Jones, WR, ECU

Originally posted by Heroism:
Going to be interesting to see how he performs at the combine. I don't expect him to post any overwhelming numbers, tho. He looks like a much better football player than athlete.

A sub 4.5 40yd dash will get him paid.
Originally posted by DJamhour:
Bump. One of my favorite WR's. Has a little Dez in him , 50/50 balls look like 70/30 balls in his favor. Excellent work ethic and very hungry. Great awareness. Great hands, probably best in the draft. I think I read somewhere he had like 1 career drop? Talking about a guy with 400 career Receptions.

I would say his weaknesses are lacking good top end speed can struggle in press coverage, played a lot of slot early in his career. But at the minimum a solid possession wr with a high floor.

After Senior bowl and Combine, Couldn't see him getting past pick 45-50.

I was impressed with him today, played as expected, best Wr today. With a good combine will be one of the first picks of day 2.
Did he remind anyone else of Anquan Bolden?
Not at all. Anquan has almost 20 lbs on Zay and is a much more physical player. Zay has a much more finesse-based game.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 28, 2017 at 10:25 PM ]
Not at all. Anquan has almost 20 lbs on Zay and is a much more physical player. Zay has a much more finesse-based game.

I don't know though, after a few years in an NFL weight room I can see him resembling Q somewhat. Maybe I am delusional or just off base, but I thought I saw something similar there.
Double post.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Jan 29, 2017 at 5:34 AM ]
Originally posted by GorefullBore:

I don't know though, after a few years in an NFL weight room I can see him resembling Q somewhat. Maybe I am delusional or just off base, but I thought I saw something similar there.

He plucks the ball like AB, but I agree that he is not as physical as AB, but who is?

Ive been comping him to Reggie Wayne for a while now. Similar build and body control, natural hands catcher, shifty route running and sneaky burst and speed.
NFL Draft Scouting Report: Isaiah "Zay" Jones

East Carolina
Wide Receiver, #7
6'1" 197, Senior

In the NFL these days, the league has completely changed into a passing focused league. To compete, your team will need the franchise quarterback, and weapons around that guy to consistently put points on the board.

There is a dynamic wide receiver out of East Carolina University by the name of Isaiah Jones that is not getting the attention he deserves. At 6'1", 197 pounds, he has lights out speed to get separation from any defender. Jones in his first three seasons for the Pirates played mostly as a slot receiver, and proved he is a very dominant there as well. In Jones' 37 games in his first three seasons, he posted 241 receptions, 2,533 yards, and 15 touchdowns.

Jones in his senior season had very high expectations from coaches, fans, and for himself; Jones lived up to every single one of those expectations, and did some more. Jones changed his game, and played mostly on the outside during his senior season. Playing on the outside, he has classified himself as a versatile playmaker, and one of the best of those in this draft class. In his 12 games this season, Jones had 158 receptions, which led every player in college football by at least 22; Jones also posted 1,746 yards which was the second most in college football, along with his eight receiving touchdowns. It is very easy to tell that Jones has amplified his game to have a versatile game to bring to any scheme, and NFL team.

Jones has very little, if any weakness in his game, and has proved that through his four seasons for the Pirates. One of the biggest attractions to his game for me is his run-after-catch ability. Jones is elusive to a dangerous degree, with a surprising ability to break tackles considering his size is not ideal to do so.
Jones in his 12 games has only recorded under ten receptions twice this year. Jones' game against South Carolina may have been his most impressive performance where he was one reception shy of the NCAA record with 22 in one game, where he also had 190 receiving yards.

Jones is a very elusive playmaker that could be useful to any team in the NFL. In Jones' senior season, he has solidified himself as an NFL-caliber receiver with elite talent, skill, and potential. Jones has the statistics, the personality, and the work-ethic to be high on any team's draft board.

Comparison: Emmanuel Sanders
With the size being similar, the two play a very similar game. Jones and Sanders both have great speed, versatility, and are both very elusive. The two are effective on short, intermediate, and deep routes, which makes them both very useful players to any NFL team.

Round Projection: 2nd round – 3rd round

Team fits: Philadelphia Eagles, San Francisco 49ers, Los Angeles Rams
http://thedraftster.com/isaiah-jones-scouting-report/
Watching more ECU WR Zay Jones. Has size, burst, body ctrl and ball skills. But thing that stands out most: Dude leaves it all on the field

Todd McShay on Twitter today.
I love this dude with more I see and hear about him. Would love him in the 3rd and Travin Dural on day 3.

I'd love for the Niners to draft him – really wanted us to draft Justin Hardy too – as I'm an ECU alum and attend all of their home games. I don't know if he'll become a #1 WR on an NFL team but he consistently produced for the Pirates. Great at screens, curls and slants where he always was just making great catches. I don't think I've ever seen him drop a pass either. His YPC aren't great due to the short passes but he runs good routes, fights for the ball and good at run blocking too. Never met the man but did meet his father, who is a class act so hopefully he raised him right.

I'm hoping he'll fall to us in the 3rd, but feel he'll be drafted late in the 2nd round.
Quinton Patton 2.0?
Originally posted by Boldjames:
Quinton Patton 2.0?

I wonder how Patton would've done with Shanahan running the offense.
The ECU system greatly inflates numbers. Don't forget, former ECU WR and current 4th/5th stringer in Atlanta, Justin Hardy, had ridiculous numbers too. In fact he was the previous NCAA all-time receptions leader. I can't grade Zay too high based on numbers alone, but the kid does have NFL bloodlines and enough tools to be graded as a solid third rounder at the moment, with potential for movement based on off-season activities.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 14, 2017 at 7:43 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
The ECU system greatly inflates numbers. Don't forget, former ECU WR and current 4th/5th stringer in Atlanta, Justin Hardy, had ridiculous numbers too. In fact he was the previous NCAA all-time receptions leader. I can't grade Zay too high based on numbers alone, but the kid does have NFL bloodlines and enough tools to be graded as a solid third rounder at the moment, with potential for movement based on off-season activities.

He really helped himself during the senior bowl. Great kid too. Would definitely be someone who i think puts in the work and tries to get better. Not a #1 type WR but would be great value in the 3rd.
Share 49ersWebzone