LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

Jonathon Allen, DL, Alabama

Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:
I think his back to back seasons on film tell you everything you need to know about his capabilities. I think a Lynch and Kyle keeping talking about the importance of film as well

This. I'll take his play on film over a couple of days running around in shorts.

Yeah I saw some of this kids work - He's a player. Definitely agree Kyle cares about game film over combine. Combine is good for speed assessment and actually getting to know the person a bit.
I am not big fans of Allen. Pass on him. He got injured his shoulder. Pass on him.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:
I think his back to back seasons on film tell you everything you need to know about his capabilities. I think a Lynch and Kyle keeping talking about the importance of film as well

This. I'll take his play on film over a couple of days running around in shorts.

Yeah I saw some of this kids work - He's a player. Definitely agree Kyle cares about game film over combine. Combine is good for speed assessment and actually getting to know the person a bit.

#2 prospect and we have the #2 pick, I wouldn't be mad at all!
Our D-line didn't over power a single o-line group last year.

We need studs up front so why not (Jonathan Allan) the #2 prospect in the draft?
Allen has two questions-his shoulder and was his play because of all the talent that he was surrounded with. I think Barnett might be more of a game changer, but at number two, the value is not there.
Big fan of Allen's. Armstead sort of complicates drafting him though. However, Kyle/Lynch has already shown that they want to bring in their own players and frankly, AA hasn't done enough to qualify as a someone worth building around.

There was a lot of hype surrounding AA during training camp, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's shopped to a 3-4 team for a draft pick. Allen and Buckner would be a nasty duo to build around.

I know we need a LEO, but that's not likely to happen at #2. If he's the BPA, then pull the trigger.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000788978/Rapoport-There-s-nothing-functionally-wrong-with-Jonathan-Allen-after-surgeries

Allen is the pick.

Production. Check. 30.5 tackles for losses and 22.5 sacks in 2 years.

Leadership. Check.

Toughness. Check.

Winner. Check.

Character. Check.

Work Ethic. Check.

Scheme fit. Check.

This guy is the next Bryant Young
1- Jonathan Allen, DT- Alabama
2- Derek Rivers LEO- Youngstown State
3- Ryan Anderson SAM- Alabama

SAM- Ahmad Brooks / Ryan Anderson
LDE- DeForest Buckner / Arik Armstead
NT- Earl Mitchell
RDT- Jonathan Allen / Ronald Blair
LEO- Derek Rivers / Eli Harold / Aaron Lynch

That is a downright scary Dline that will change the outcomes of games and set the tone. I love it
The concern are his shoulders but by all accounts he is healthy and it's not an issue.

I like Thomas but he isn't in Allen's league as an interior pass rusher.

Honestly....Soloman Thomas reminds me so much of Tyson Alualu it's not even funny. The hype train is out of control on Thomas but the tape doesn't lie. Allen is an ideal inside threat as a 3 tech in this scheme. He demands double teams which will free up his team mates but his production is off the charts.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2641033-alabama-de-jonathan-allen-could-be-2017-nfl-drafts-safest-prospect.amp.html

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2016/11/4/13512776/jonathan-allen-alabama-highlights-tape-recruiting-stats

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2017/3/14/14828682/jonathan-allen-scouting-report-breakdown-2017-nfl-draft

I don't see any way we pass on Allen.
SAM- Ahmad Brooks 5-7 sacks
LDE- DeForest Buckner 8-10 sacks
NT- Earl Mitchell 1-2 sacks
RDT- Jonathan Allen 8-10 sacks
LEO- Derek Rivers 6-8 sacks

So 33-35 sacks from our front 5 is not out of the question.

SAM- Ryan Anderson 4-6 sacks
LDE- Arik Armstead 2-4 sacks
LEO- Eli Harold 2-4 sacks
RDT- Ronald Blair 2-4 sacks

Throw in 10+ sacks from our subs and we are set

Allen is the second best prospect if not for his shoulder. If he was 100% healthy he would be the easy pick.

I am in full bandwagon of trading down to at the lowest the 8th pick. At that point if they wanted a qb it won't be considered a huge reach compared to 2, and we can get a couple more picks to boot.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Allen is the second best prospect if not for his shoulder. If he was 100% healthy he would be the easy pick.

I am in full bandwagon of trading down to at the lowest the 8th pick. At that point if they wanted a qb it won't be considered a huge reach compared to 2, and we can get a couple more picks to boot.

I don't know if he would be the "easy" pick.

His tape is certainly better and he's certainly more experienced and there are few coaches better getting guys ready for the pro game than Nick Saban in the college ranks but Solomon Thomas is a way better athlete and his upside is much larger than Allens.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by gold49digger:

I don't know if he would be the "easy" pick.

His tape is certainly better and he's certainly more experienced and there are few coaches better getting guys ready for the pro game than Nick Saban in the college ranks but Solomon Thomas is a way better athlete and his upside is much larger than Allens.

He will be the easy pick.

I bet the shoulder issue BS was put out there by a team that wants him. Didn't seem to bother him during the football season at all. We would be nuts to pass on him...
Originally posted by glorydayz:
He will be the easy pick.

I bet the shoulder issue BS was put out there by a team that wants him. Didn't seem to bother him during the football season at all. We would be nuts to pass on him...

You have the lottery numbers while you're at it?

I guess teams had him get surgery twice on the shoulders just so they could draft him in the top 5?
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000788978/Rapoport-There-s-nothing-functionally-wrong-with-Jonathan-Allen-after-surgeries

Allen is the pick.

Production. Check. 30.5 tackles for losses and 22.5 sacks in 2 years.

Leadership. Check.

Toughness. Check.

Winner. Check.

Character. Check.

Work Ethic. Check.

Scheme fit. Check.

This guy is the next Bryant Young
Solomon Thomas is more BY than Allen in terms of athletic ability. If you want to use past Niners you can more accurately put Stubby as a good comparison to Allen.
Share 49ersWebzone