LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

Jonathon Allen, DL, Alabama

Hoping the Browns take him since we've already invested in 2 dl the last 2 years, unless we go to a 4-3 and let him play DT. even then I'm worried about investing so much in DL when we have so many holes on the team. we need a solid mid to late round DT or a free agent to fill the void
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Hoping the Browns take him since we've already invested in 2 dl the last 2 years, unless we go to a 4-3 and let him play DT. even then I'm worried about investing so much in DL when we have so many holes on the team. we need a solid mid to late round DT or a free agent to fill the void

Everything starts up front. If Williams was healthy, I doubt we look this bad at stopping the run. We won't be top 10 but we wouldn't be historically bad either. Adding talent is the main thing we need and Allen is a top 3 talent
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Allen would be a great fit on the Browns and they traded for Collins

Agree with this. They can go either direction and look smart to be honest
need a NT this guy can play it. his motor is unlike any other out there fo a DL that i have seen this year. this kid is the real deal. who cares that we have drafted 2 DL with our first pick this year. can we stop the run? NO. can we pressure the QB? not really. It all starts up front, and Allen with Buckner, and Armstead would be a hell of a start. Even though i'm a tad worry about Armstead this is why I even love the guy more. He's a beast

& from what i have seen this year between him & garrett i'd take allen over him in a heartbeat. Screams football player as Harbs would say
[ Edited by wailers15 on Nov 14, 2016 at 6:24 PM ]
If we go to a 4/3--huge if--then I would absolutely love Allen at 2nd overall. Our dline trenches would make everyone else better on the backend
Originally posted by wailers15:
need a NT this guy can play it. his motor is unlike any other out there fo a DL that i have seen this year. this kid is the real deal. who cares that we have drafted 2 DL with our first pick this year. can we stop the run? NO. can we pressure the QB? not really. It all starts up front, and Allen with Buckner, and Armstead would be a hell of a start. Even though i'm a tad worry about Armstead this is why I even love the guy more. He's a beast

I agree. It might not make the perfect paper lineup, but if he can rush the passer and/or cause problems up front, he will play. SEA and ARI seem to do just fine putting their rushers in different alignments.
Originally posted by zonkers:

I agree. It might not make the perfect paper lineup, but if he can rush the passer and/or cause problems up front, he will play. SEA and ARI seem to do just fine putting their rushers in different alignments.

Obviously Allen wouldn't be the sexy pick but it wouldn't bother me if we went Dline for the third straight year. The one constant that never changes in football is if you can win in the trenches than you will win a lot of football games. We'll have to see where the chips fall at the season's end and where we're picking in the draft.
Originally posted by zonkers:

one thing to worry about is having to pay all these guys down the road...example the Jets. I wouldn't hate Allen at all he's a fast Suh IMO.
Originally posted by 9er4lyphe:
We can't possibly go DL 3 years in a row right?

Unless we trade away AA.
I see Allen going somewhere in that 7-12 range of the draft.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I see Allen going somewhere in that 7-12 range of the draft.

Why is that?
If Baalke is in charge there is a good chance of Allen coming to the 49ers. The only problem is that the team needs offensive playmakers, that's one area that Baalke has no clue.
PFF has him as the number one overall pick...

https://twitter.com/pff/status/798905395204997120
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
If we go to a 4/3--huge if--then I would absolutely love Allen at 2nd overall. Our dline trenches would make everyone else better on the backend

I don't see Kelly moving from a 3-4 but who knows. If they hired someone like Gus Bradley as DC, it could make sense. Bradley likes using oversized DE's in his scheme anyways(Red Bryant) so Buckner would be a great fit too.
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Why is that?

Because QBs rise in the draft, as do OTs, and rush ends. Just like Buckner last year, the big studly 3-4 DEs tend to hover in that 7-12 range. I expect at two QBs, Fournette, two rush DEs, and the top grade OL to sneak in before him.

This is no slam on Allen. I believe he is a tremendous player. And, I will probably grade him as a top 5 talent in this draft. It is just the value of those picks and the position he plays.
Share 49ersWebzone