LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

49ersJordan Midseason Mock

Originally posted by HERN:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Can't endorse any mocks short of taking a franchise QB in the 1st. Sorry.

I still say Garrett is the top player in the draft and it would be difficult to say that we made A bad pick taking him just because he's not a QB.

I agree, I think you take Garrett and either trade for Jimmy G or take Mahomes in the 2nd..Garrett is just too great of a prospect to pass on..and a need too which makes it easier to take him..
Originally posted by English:
Lost me at Kaaya.

This...
i like the idea of foles coming here until we get a franchise QB so we shouldnt draft a qb this year..none worthy. also i dont see how wed get a 5th rd pick for dontae johnson a guy who has like barely played
Originally posted by stefano89:
i like the idea of foles coming here until we get a franchise QB so we shouldnt draft a qb this year..none worthy. also i dont see how wed get a 5th rd pick for dontae johnson a guy who has like barely played

I don't think he wants to play for Chip again after he traded him. Maybe a decent amount of money might change it.
Originally posted by 9NERNATE:
I don't think he wants to play for Chip again after he traded him. Maybe a decent amount of money might change it.

He'll play for whomever pays him.

No offense but this is a really silly way of thinking.

Who says none are worthy this year? Was Tom Brady worthy of drafting? Was Dak Prescott?...etc

There are definitely QBs worth drafting this year. The question is do we find the right ones but the idea that we can keep waiting because we have Nick Foles is ridiculous.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I don't think Joey Porter is ready to be a defensive coordinator. He's only been coaching since 2014.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
I don't think Joey Porter is ready to be a defensive coordinator. He's only been coaching since 2014.

Yes I don't get how he represents an upgrade when the reality is we have no idea what exactly we'd be getting. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't.

What we need is a proven defensive coordinator.
The thing about taking Garrett is he really doesn't add anything to the offense...his effectiveness will largely be influenced by the big guys up front. Hankins isn't a bad addition, but think the Ravens' Brandon Williams is a better NT. Have to agree with other posters...Kaaya's not the guy Kelly needs. Trubisky is, which is why he should be the pick in the 1st rd. I'd say adding a pass rusher's important, but getting Trubisky to be Kelly's QB trumps it.

Kelly needs a vet b/u QB for insurance and to help groom the guy he drafts. Foles seems comfortable in KC and I doubt Andy Reid would be anxious to see him leave. Although I know I'm in the minority, I'd keep Gabbert because he knows Coach's offense and would be a better mentor to (hopefully) Trubisky.

Trading Dontae Johnson...I wouldn't do it, if for no other reason than he's the biggest CB we have and should get on the field more.

If the Eagles only offered a 5th rd pick for Torrey Smith, why in the world would they cough up 2 picks to get him. Makes no sense.

IMHO you didn't do nearly enough to beef up the ILB position. I don't think Alonso's the answer...just doesn't seem tough enough to me. A couple options: Zach Brown (Bills), Sio Moore (Chiefs).

I'd take Jack Doyle as my FA TE. Luck's looking for him more & more and Doyle's responding well.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
The thing about taking Garrett is he really doesn't add anything to the offense...his effectiveness will largely be influenced by the big guys up front. Hankins isn't a bad addition, but think the Ravens' Brandon Williams is a better NT. Have to agree with other posters...Kaaya's not the guy Kelly needs. Trubisky is, which is why he should be the pick in the 1st rd. I'd say adding a pass rusher's important, but getting Trubisky to be Kelly's QB trumps it.

Kelly needs a vet b/u QB for insurance and to help groom the guy he drafts. Foles seems comfortable in KC and I doubt Andy Reid would be anxious to see him leave. Although I know I'm in the minority, I'd keep Gabbert because he knows Coach's offense and would be a better mentor to (hopefully) Trubisky.

Trading Dontae Johnson...I wouldn't do it, if for no other reason than he's the biggest CB we have and should get on the field more.

If the Eagles only offered a 5th rd pick for Torrey Smith, why in the world would they cough up 2 picks to get him. Makes no sense.

IMHO you didn't do nearly enough to beef up the ILB position. I don't think Alonso's the answer...just doesn't seem tough enough to me. A couple options: Zach Brown (Bills), Sio Moore (Chiefs).

I'd take Jack Doyle as my FA TE. Luck's looking for him more & more and Doyle's responding well.

Chip Kelly may not be the HC next year or a couple of years down the road. Drafting a QB for specific system isn't always a wise choice and I'd say if we got a similar player to Von Miller it would be pretty impactful no matter who the HC is.

And obviously drafting a player on defense doesn't really impact the offense but I'd say pass rusher helps the most considering he can impact what the other team does the most in today's NFL and induce more turnovers which helps the offense and whomever the QB is.

If Trubisky is on the board and somehow Garrett is as well it will be a tough decision but it shouldn't be "Trubisky is a great fit for Chip Kelly" it should be because "Trubisky is a great prospect who can succeed for our team regardless of which system we run and we believe he can be an elite player at his position regardless of who the HC is" because Garrett will be an all pro pass rusher in this league regardless of who his HC is as long as he stays healthy.

So, you'd continue the Baalke saga of not drafting a QB who can become the franchise guy...I don't get that. Besides, when you're a team with so many needs, can you really afford to take Garrett? I think Trubisky is a terrific prospect, no matter what system he gets in the NFL...it just so happens he seems to be exactly what Kelly's looking for. Baalke's history is taking what he deems is BPA...and you see where that's gotten our team. You can draft that way when you have a stocked roster, but the Niners are far from that, so for me, it makes much better sense to get your potential franchise QB when he's available & get him some receiving help. Baalke or a new GM needs as many draft picks as possible and spend what could be @ $100M in cap space wisely to augment the youngsters. BL: Kelly needs a QB before anything else.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
So, you'd continue the Baalke saga of not drafting a QB who can become the franchise guy...I don't get that. Besides, when you're a team with so many needs, can you really afford to take Garrett? I think Trubisky is a terrific prospect, no matter what system he gets in the NFL...it just so happens he seems to be exactly what Kelly's looking for. Baalke's history is taking what he deems is BPA...and you see where that's gotten our team. You can draft that way when you have a stocked roster, but the Niners are far from that, so for me, it makes much better sense to get your potential franchise QB when he's available & get him some receiving help. Baalke or a new GM needs as many draft picks as possible and spend what could be @ $100M in cap space wisely to augment the youngsters. BL: Kelly needs a QB before anything else.

Where did I say that? If you look at my post a few above that one I'm responding to someone who thinks we should wait to draft one next year and saying it's a stupid way of thinking.

What I am saying is that if Trubisky was our pick then it has to be for the right reason and not because he's a fit in Chip Kelly's system when Chip''s system may not be around for more than another season or two.

It's also not 1st pick or we don't draft one at all. Just like last year I felt very strongly that Jared Goff should be our pick before the two trades that happened. Plan B was Dak Prescott in the 3rd+ rounds and Jeff Driskel in 5th+ rounds. Plan C happened...unfortunately we made a big mistake in not keeping him on the roster to find out whether it was a good pick or not.

I think we have to address the position in the first two rounds this year but not at the cost of reaching for players who are graded much lower than our selection.

If Luke Falk can be had in the 2nd round or trade up into bottom of the first it would be perfect.

What I don't want to see us do is leave a dominant player who can help this team on the board just because he's not a QB and take a player graded much lower just because we have crap at the position.
Originally posted by genus49:

No offense but this is a really silly way of thinking.

Who says none are worthy this year? Was Tom Brady worthy of drafting? Was Dak Prescott?...etc

There are definitely QBs worth drafting this year. The question is do we find the right ones but the idea that we can keep waiting because we have Nick Foles is ridiculous.

this is true....a few of the guys that will supposedly be in the draft this year could possibly turn into franchise QBs. the likelihood of that actually happeing all the way through is whats still to be determined.

also way too early to say dak prescot is worthy of the franchise qb label...its not just the halfway point of his first season but hes on a team with one of the best coached offenses and offensive systems in the league with weapons everywhere. with a top OL. hes in a most ideal situation. but for sure has shown to be higher than 4th round talent.

i was saying id rather take our time with the qb situation.....bring in a guy or keep gabbert to be the temporary guy while we do as much research as we need and get the right guy. whether that is a guy coming in the in the 2017 or 2018 draft is up to our GM and scouting dept which if it remains baalke an co i have no faith in at all.
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by Hopper:

Yes I don't get how he represents an upgrade when the reality is we have no idea what exactly we'd be getting. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't.

What we need is a proven defensive coordinator.

I think it'll be hard for Chip to get a proven guy. We definitely need it, but the reputation of Chip's offense doesn't help him. Nor has Chip ever played or coached in the NFL which coincides with reports in January saying that he is limited in his NFL connections. I'm not saying Joey Porter is that guy but promoting a position coach and hoping for the best might be our only option.

One name I'll throw out there that I mentioned in another thread is Pepper Johnson. He was a Dline and linebacker coach for the patriots from 2000-2013, a Dline coach in Buffalo in 2014, and the Dline coach for the jets the last two years. I know he has been advocating for a defensive coordinator opportunity the last couple of years and was a finalist for the giants defensive coordinator job last season before Coughlin decided to rehire Spagnoula. He has worked for some good defensive minds in Belichick, Jim Schwartz, and Todd Bowles. Hes done a great job consistently with his position groups and has probably earned coordinator consideration. I wouldn't mind giving him a look-see.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Nov 9, 2016 at 4:02 PM ]
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Can't endorse any mocks short of taking a franchise QB in the 1st. Sorry.

Name one for sure franchise QB in the first please. Garrett is the only for sure thing in this draft. I personally think any QB in this draft drafted in the top 5 is going to be a bust
Share 49ersWebzone