LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

Dalvin Cook--RB--FSU

Originally posted by Heroism:
I would EASILY take derrius guice over leonard fournette without hesitation.

i think he's going be a zeke type prospect when he comes out.

Totally agree
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Who gives a f**k about mock drafts? I could careless what kiper and Co. say how offten are they right? Howard was a 5th rd pick and ran for 1,300 yards this yr...good RBs can be found in the draft and that's how the shanahan's have done it in the past and you know if.

Guess what the NFL has defensive fronts like Alabama and no is talking about clemson's running back, gallman is a 4th rd prospect dude.

Cook is a better fit for ZBS.

Mike Davis was a 4th round pick too.

Good luck with that!
I'd rather have either of the Oklahoma RBs.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Mike Davis was a 4th round pick too.

Good luck with that!

Terrell Davis was a 6th rd pick so was Morris in a shanahan offense they turned out pretty well wouldn't you say? Freeman was a 4rh rd pick as well...How about you look at players that are a fit for his offense instead of looking at highlights and mocks?
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 12, 2017 at 1:11 PM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Terrell Davis was a 6th rd pick so was Morris in a shanahan offense wouldn't you say? Freeman was a 4rh rd pick as well...How about you look at players that are a fit for his offense instead of looking at highlights and mocks?

No, I look at talent.

How about you give Kyle more credit for being the offensive genius that he is and cut him some slack? He has always said it is all about designing systems/plays that best fit the talent to bring out his strengths to the fore.
No, I look at talent.

How about you give Kyle more credit for being the offensive genius that he is and cut him some slack? He has always said it is all about designing systems/plays that best fit the talent to bring out his strengths to the fore.

One constant with the shanahan's has been ZBS something that LF isn't a fit for compared to other RBs. He's a power running RB who runs people over. This draft is chalk full of great running backs that fit his system much better.

I'd rather take a kid like this in the mid rounds

Toledo RB Kareem Hunt's 98 total missed tackles forced in 2016 were the second-most in the FBS.

And on a more micro level, his 22 missed tackles forced on receptions were also good for second in the country. PFF comps him to Baltimore Ravens RB Kenneth Dixon. Notes the outlet, "[Hunt] has limited pass-protection experience, but otherwise could be an every-down back from the start if needed." NFL Media's Lance Zierlein offers a variation on that assessment, writing that Hunt "has talent to become a backup that can step in and handle a bigger load if needed." During Combine festivities, the 5-foot-10, 216-pounder ran the 40-yard dash in 4.62 seconds, put in 18 reps on the bench press and logged jumps of 36.5 inches (vertical) and 119 inches (broad).
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 12, 2017 at 1:43 PM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
One constant with the shanahan's has been ZBS something that LF isn't a fit for compared to other RBs. He's a power running RB who runs people over. This draft is chalk full of great running backs that fit his system much better.

I'd rather take a kid like this in the mid rounds

Toledo RB Kareem Hunt's 98 total missed tackles forced in 2016 were the second-most in the FBS.

And on a more micro level, his 22 missed tackles forced on receptions were also good for second in the country. PFF comps him to Baltimore Ravens RB Kenneth Dixon. Notes the outlet, "[Hunt] has limited pass-protection experience, but otherwise could be an every-down back from the start if needed." NFL Media's Lance Zierlein offers a variation on that assessment, writing that Hunt "has talent to become a backup that can step in and handle a bigger load if needed." During Combine festivities, the 5-foot-10, 216-pounder ran the 40-yard dash in 4.62 seconds, put in 18 reps on the bench press and logged jumps of 36.5 inches (vertical) and 119 inches (broad).

I trust that when Kyle sees an unbelievable talent and in this case a generational player in Fournette, he will absolutely embrace the challenge to tailor-make a series of run plays that will fully capitalize on Fournette's gifted abilities instead of saying "fxxk it he doesn't fit my system".

I really don't think that is what Kyle is about. I see him as an offensive maverick if you will and he knows it and he likes being viewed in that light. He is the type of coach who would absolutely savor the opportunity to cook up different plays and systems to facilitate the most explosive deployment of his weapons. Just look at Juszczyk, in the eyes and mind of Kyle, he doesn't view nor limit Juice as a FB, that is precisely why they name him as a "OW" (offensive weapon) as it was revealed in the free agents signing press conference because I am pretty darn sure Kyle will be using him in some unimaginable creative ways.
I trust that when Kyle sees an unbelievable talent and in this case a generational player in Fournette, he will absolutely embrace the challenge to tailor-make a series of run plays that will fully capitalize on Fournette's gifted abilities instead of saying "fxxk it he doesn't fit my system".

I really don't think that is what Kyle is about. I see him as an offensive maverick if you will and he knows it and he likes being viewed in that light. He is the type of coach who would absolutely savor the opportunity to cook up different plays and systems to facilitate the most explosive deployment of his weapons. Just look at Juszczyk, in the eyes and mind of Kyle, he doesn't view nor limit Juice as a FB, that is precisely why they name him as a "OW" (offensive weapon) as it was revealed in the free agents signing press conference because I am pretty darn sure Kyle will be using him in some unimaginable creative ways.

so you want him to change his offensive system which is based around ZB because there's a running back that's 240 and can run a 4.5? I don't see a generational talent at all.

IMO He wasn't even the best RB on his team. If we take him a two (which I doubt) I hope LT learns the system not the other way around. Hyde is a very good RB but needs to get some touches taken away from him, rather have a cop back like in ATL.

give me McCaffrey, cook, Kamara, Nixon, hunt based on value.

I thought you were on draft a qb no matter what at two campaign anyway?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
so you want him to change his offensive system which is based around ZB because there's a running back that's 240 and can run a 4.5? I don't see a generational talent at all.

IMO He wasn't even the best RB on his team. If we take him a two (which I doubt) I hope LT learns the system not the other way around. Hyde is a very good RB but needs to get some touches taken away from him, rather have a cop back like in ATL.

No, the problem is you are bracketing Kyle's offense. I do not believe for a moment his offense is so stagnant whereby even as the offensive guru that he is, he can't find a way to use different players.

I, on the other hand, am reluctant to label Kyle's offense. As in oh is outside zone this and therefore this guy won't fit, that guy won't fit, etc. I do not see Kyle's offense being so limiting at all. I see it being rather fluid. I see Kyle being able to chop and change using his immense creativity.

To say Fournette isn't even the best RB at LSU is ridiculous. The dude is rated as a top two RB in this draft and that is a fact. I don't seem to recall seeing Guise being that guy anywhere.

As for QB, I can't help it if Kyle wants to sign Cousins next year. I still won't put it past them that they won't take a QB at 2, if it happens then cool. But, it seems more likely they may take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. So, in that situation, I would go BPA at 2 and for me Fournette is that guy.

No, the problem is you are bracketing Kyle's offense. I do not believe for a moment his offense is so stagnant whereby even as the offensive guru that he is, he can't find a way to use different players.

I, on the other hand, am reluctant to label Kyle's offense. As in oh is outside zone this and therefore this guy won't fit, that guy won't fit, etc. I do not see Kyle's offense being so limiting at all. I see it being rather fluid. I see Kyle being able to chop and change using his immense creativity.

To say Fournette isn't even the best RB at LSU is ridiculous. The dude is rated as a top two RB in this draft and that is a fact. I don't seem to recall seeing Guise being that guy anywhere.

As for QB, I can't help it if Kyle wants to sign Cousins next year. I still won't put it past them that they won't take a QB at 2, if it happens then cool. But, it seems more likely they may take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. So, in that situation, I would go BPA at 2 and for me Fournette is that guy.

just cause he's a offensive guru doesn't mean he has to change what his offense is based around, which is ZBS and it has been since he first came into the league... same with his father.

Guice isn't in the draft this yr. Derrius Guice avg 7.5 ypc this yr and ran for 1,400 yards on 180 attempts. LT has never ran for 7.5 ypc. Both are very good RBs.

I'll take Saquon Barkley next yr in Kyle's offense. Dude is a total stud and can do it all...much better fit IMO.

Listen if LT is your pick, so be it I'd go in other direction especially in a draft that is full of RB talent.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 13, 2017 at 10:10 AM ]

A scout who spoke with Bleacher Report's Matt Miller said that FSU RB Dalvin Cook's pro day workout was "[expletive]ing special."

That scout is super-keen on Cook's ability as a receiver, something that Cook has over LSU RB Leonard Fournette. One NFL RB coach told NFL Media's Lance Zierlein earlier in the week that Cook is "no doubt" the best running back in this class. He has had himself one of the more quiet-but-unique draft processes that we have seen during the evaluating period. His athletic testing numbers have not matched the work on film, but there is a clear faction that does not put a ton of stock in those numbers.
A scout who spoke with Bleacher Report's Matt Miller said that FSU RB Dalvin Cook's pro day workout was "[expletive]ing special."

That scout is super-keen on Cook's ability as a receiver, something that Cook has over LSU RB Leonard Fournette. One NFL RB coach told NFL Media's Lance Zierlein earlier in the week that Cook is "no doubt" the best running back in this class. He has had himself one of the more quiet-but-unique draft processes that we have seen during the evaluating period. His athletic testing numbers have not matched the work on film, but there is a clear faction that does not put a ton of stock in those numbers.

So...many....running backs
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

So...many....running backs

No doubt, I'd have to think long and if he's there at 34. He's a perfect fit for Kyle's offense and I believe we spoke with him at the combine (which means nothing lol).
No doubt, I'd have to think long and if he's there at 34. He's a perfect fit for Kyle's offense and I believe we spoke with him at the combine (which means nothing lol).

Been thinking about this since I've seen him drop out of the first on a few boards. He would be really tempting. Not in the "this is what we should do" way, but in the "damn I wanna" kinda way.
Is he so much better than the next tier of running backs that he's worth passing up a quality edge rusher in the second? That's a tough one. I'd say no.

For the people who argue that Kyle is good enough to still use LF. Of course he is. Kyle would make any rb look good. And LF is a savage. But what would be more effective.. the Falcons having Adrian Peterson ? Or a one two punch of Freeman and Coleman? Then factor in that with the Coleman Freeman combo, you get to draft top five defensive talent and pay a lot less. So you have more cap room for other talent.
Share 49ersWebzone