LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 399 users in the forums

The Bye Week Mock

If Trubz moves to the top of the QB class and stays there then yes, #2 pick might have to do it. If he is still behind Watson/Kizer then we could afford to move back a few places and pick him up in the 5-10 range. All in All I like this offseason and think this is far better than anything Trent has done recently.
I like your draft however your free agency seems a bit unrealistic. I really don't see the Panthers trading for Tank for a 4th round pick. Also your GM was an ok choice but there are better options out there.
You can't trade comp picks, but I think this would be a decent offseason. I don't think Terrence Williams does anything for us though. We don't need a #2/3 WR that's going to be paid way too much. I like Kiko Alonso though. He has elite potential, but won't be paid like it due to injury concerns.

We have tons of cap space so I'd like to overpay (it's the only way we'll get anyone good here) and get Alshon Jeffery and/or Dontae Hightower if either isn't tagged. Those are two guys that can help both our offense and defense take a step forward on their own.

In terms of the draft, I would hate to pass on Fournette, Peppers, or Garrett to reach at QB. It's looking like a lot of QB's are going to have low 1st rd/high 2nd rd grades. I'd rather trade back into the mid/late 1st and grab a QB there and get an elite prospect at the top of the 1st rd.
Originally posted by Draftology:
You can't trade comp picks, but I think this would be a decent offseason. I don't think Terrence Williams does anything for us though. We don't need a #2/3 WR that's going to be paid way too much. I like Kiko Alonso though. He has elite potential, but won't be paid like it due to injury concerns.

We have tons of cap space so I'd like to overpay (it's the only way we'll get anyone good here) and get Alshon Jeffery and/or Dontae Hightower if either isn't tagged. Those are two guys that can help both our offense and defense take a step forward on their own.

In terms of the draft, I would hate to pass on Fournette, Peppers, or Garrett to reach at QB. It's looking like a lot of QB's are going to have low 1st rd/high 2nd rd grades. I'd rather trade back into the mid/late 1st and grab a QB there and get an elite prospect at the top of the 1st rd.

Yes, you can trade comp picks now.
If this became reality the team would be back in a flash! Particularly like your fix for the middle of the D. It's been decimated and it's so important for the entire D to have a tough middle.

Starting this yr you can
Originally posted by Alfienator:

Yes, you can trade comp picks now.
Wow interesting. Nevermind.
Fitzpatrick isn't suited for Kelly's offense...we'd be better off keeping Gabbert. However, I like Bennie Logan at NT, Schwenke & Rodgers. Nice to see someone recognize how much we need a run-stuffing NT.

Really like the first 4 picks...and the K. Love Dawson, but he's losing yardage as he ages. It's time to get younger there. Have to admit I'm not that familiar with the rest of your picks, but I do like the positions you're proposing. Getting much stronger up the middle will do wonders for our defense and boost the confidence of our twin towers. I see your FA TE, but the guy in the draft I'm stoked about is Evan Engram from Ole Miss. He's already drawn comparisons with Jordan Reed and if there's anything our TE corps needs it's a guy with great hands who catches the ball exceptionally well.

Overall, nice job, man.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

So a few points:

- Yes, you can trade comp picks now. NFL changed the rules starting this year.

- Jeffery and Hightower are good players, but do you honestly see them as realistic signings? Jeffery may opt for a team that has a legit QB at the helm. He's about to pass his prime years, so I think he gets targeted by a team with a proven QB. And why do you think Hightower is a good fit? He's played an average of 12 games over the past 2 years, and he's a big husky ILB/OLB that's alright as a pass rusher.

While you may not find my FA signings sexy, most of them are scheme fits, fulfill glairing needs, and have connections to the coaching staff and front office.

Understand your point on the draft class, but what QB would you select in R1 to trade up? 3 legit first round QBs with 10 teams that either need a QB now or development pick for an aging or non-performing QB. And 2-3 fringe QBs in the 2nd-3rd rounds.

Immediate needs: Browns (2 first round picks though...they could trade up from their 2nd first), 49ers, Jets, Bears.

Development: Cardinals, Saints, Chargers, Giants, Texans, Jaguars, and perhaps the Steelers, Redskins, and Dolphins.

And let's not forget teams that need to shore up their backup QB spot - Panthers and Falcons.

The FA class is pretty crappy at QB outside of Cousins, and Jimmy G is the only viable starter via trade. So rookies + vets = 8 QB prospects for 15 teams. Supply and demand.

I'd be open to drafting Garrett if the Browns pass on him and working out a trade in advance for Jimmy G for a 2nd round pick. But I could easily see a team like the Browns trading their 2nd first rounder for Jimmy G instead.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Fitzpatrick isn't suited for Kelly's offense...we'd be better off keeping Gabbert. However, I like Bennie Logan at NT, Schwenke & Rodgers. Nice to see someone recognize how much we need a run-stuffing NT.

Really like the first 4 picks...and the K. Love Dawson, but he's losing yardage as he ages. It's time to get younger there. Have to admit I'm not that familiar with the rest of your picks, but I do like the positions you're proposing. Getting much stronger up the middle will do wonders for our defense and boost the confidence of our twin towers. I see your FA TE, but the guy in the draft I'm stoked about is Evan Engram from Ole Miss. He's already drawn comparisons with Jordan Reed and if there's anything our TE corps needs it's a guy with great hands who catches the ball exceptionally well.

Overall, nice job, man.

Thanks man. Fitz is not suited, but Kelly has shown an ability to trust his staff like he did for Modkins (Kerley). They want a functional offense, and if they have to adjust, they will. Plus, he'd be a nice vet mentor for this young roster.

Big fan of Engram too, but I actually see him leapfrogging the other TEs to be the 1st TE selected in this year's draft.

Originally posted by GEEK:

So a few points:

- Yes, you can trade comp picks now. NFL changed the rules starting this year.

- Jeffery and Hightower are good players, but do you honestly see them as realistic signings? Jeffery may opt for a team that has a legit QB at the helm. He's about to pass his prime years, so I think he gets targeted by a team with a proven QB. And why do you think Hightower is a good fit? He's played an average of 12 games over the past 2 years, and he's a big husky ILB/OLB that's alright as a pass rusher.

While you may not find my FA signings sexy, most of them are scheme fits, fulfill glairing needs, and have connections to the coaching staff and front office.

Understand your point on the draft class, but what QB would you select in R1 to trade up? 3 legit first round QBs with 10 teams that either need a QB now or development pick for an aging or non-performing QB. And 2-3 fringe QBs in the 2nd-3rd rounds.

Immediate needs: Browns (2 first round picks though...they could trade up from their 2nd first), 49ers, Jets, Bears.

Development: Cardinals, Saints, Chargers, Giants, Texans, Jaguars, and perhaps the Steelers, Redskins, and Dolphins.

And let's not forget teams that need to shore up their backup QB spot - Panthers and Falcons.

The FA class is pretty crappy at QB outside of Cousins, and Jimmy G is the only viable starter via trade. So rookies + vets = 8 QB prospects for 15 teams. Supply and demand.

I'd be open to drafting Garrett if the Browns pass on him and working out a trade in advance for Jimmy G for a 2nd round pick. But I could easily see a team like the Browns trading their 2nd first rounder for Jimmy G instead.
I think you're right in that it would be unlikely that Jeffery and/or Hightower sign. But we were able to get some elite FA from 2005-2007 with Nate Clements, Michael Lewis, and Justin Smith. We had to overpay for all of them, but that's what happens when you're bad. Jeffery is only 26 years old, so I'd say he's entering his prime. These guys want money more than anything and we have the resources to give them more of it than most other teams. Still, Jeffery may be sick of playing with crappy QB's. We'll see.

If we do have a high first round grade on a QB, I'm all for taking him with our first pick, but this draft class is being compared to the EJ Manuel/Geno Smith year where these guys are going to have legit second round grades across the board. That might not end up being the case, but that's what appears to be the status quo for now. What I definitely do not want to do is massively reach for a QB out of need like the Vikings did in 2011 and wind up with a Christian Ponder situation that sets us back three years. I doubt any of those "Development" teams take a QB in round 1 except maaaybe the Cardinals, Saints, or Dolphins. The Panthers and Falcons definitely won't (and I think Derek Anderson is one of the best backups in the league). At most, I see three QB's going in the first round due to the quality of the class.

I'd rather reach in round 2 or take a developmental QB in round 3 and use a place-holder QB like Fitzpatrick rather than take the wrong guy at the top of round 1. Especially when there are particularly impactful players at other positions available. I think Fournette is likely going to be the highest graded RB coming out since Adrian Peterson. I don't know if there's been a safety as highly regarded as Peppers in the last ten years, and Garrett may be a better prospect than both of them. We can't pass on any of these three guys unless we are in love with a QB at that spot.

Under no circumstances do I think we should trade for Garoppolo. I am very reluctant to buy the performance of any non-Tom Brady Patriots QB due to how good Matt Cassel looked in 2006. That may be unreasonable, but it's enough to scare me away.
Because drafting a one year wonder out of UNC, always works out for the 49ers.

Do love your 2nd and 3rd round picks. Overall good work like always.
Originally posted by Overkill:
I love that you mocked a front office. That will be our biggest move, assuming Trent doesn't survive.

Good job on the player moves, too. Definitely food for thought.

This

NOT a Fitzpatrick fan at all.

REALLY hoping for Garrett.

LOVE what you did getting MCLay.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
I love everything I just can't value any of these quarterbacks in the top five
would salivate this, especially if we trade down for trubisky.

personally im in favor of getting mahomes later if were getting a bridge qb.
Share 49ersWebzone