LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Should we spend our 2nd round pick on Corey Davis?

Originally posted by 25249ersfan:
Good point but there has to be a stop gap for these teams and I don't see them doing a draft and stash

Why not? Waiting until you desperately need a QB isn't a great way of approaching it. The Cards were reportedly prepared to draft a QB in the 1st round before the Broncos moved up for Paxton Lynch. You're better off choosing a guy well in advance and letting them sit for a year or two, learn your system, get plenty of mental reps, watch film...etc.

A team like Miami might not have any QB period if they decide that Tannehill isn't worth the money they would have to pay him. Same goes for Buffalo.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Management has to be talking about the trade deadline, player evaluations, direction the draft should take, etc. Personally, I think they should trade Torrey Smith. They should be able to get a decent pick for him or another player Kelly likes. As for Staley, I'd hate to see him go, but again, we could get perhaps better value for him than Torrey. However that works out, I think those are two trades they should make. The kicker is the LT position...who's going to play it? This is a round about way to my point, which is I have no problem taking a WR in the 2nd rd. Here's my however...I don't know that the Niners (Kelly, really) are convinced Kizer, Kaaya, or Watson are worthy of a 1st rd pick, especially a likely top 5er. For my money, I think Trubisky may be the better option. He seems to fit the offense Kelly wants to run (but doesn't have the right players to). He's got good accuracy (@ 70%), is mobile enough and can make quick decisions. With that, he'll need some WR talent, which could come in rd 1 for say, Mike Williams. Now that's some bang for the first two picks, IMHO. As there have been ridiculous 1st rd runs on QB's who don't necessarily deserve going that early in recent drafts, if they feel they can get Trubisky in the early 2nd rd, they'd already have arguably the best WR in this draft.

If the odds are good that you're drafting a QB, why would you trade away your only decent veteran receiver, not to mention your only credible deep threat away? The most you're getting back is a 4th or 5th round pick, which is nothing really. They need to add to their WR group, not subtract.

On top of that, why trade away your veteran left tackle? Especially considering this next draft is very weak on the tackle position. You're better off keeping those guys to support the new QB that you're drafting, not setting them up for failure by replacing Smith and Staley with likely lesser players.

, if they feel they can get Trubisky in the early 2nd rd, they'd already have arguably the best WR in this draft.

The 2nd round waved bye bye to Trubisky awhile ago. If he continues to play like this and has a good offseason, he could be the first QB off the board in this draft.
Phoenix...Kelly's passing offense if a quick-decision, quick throw deal. Both Gabbert & Kap have had trouble getting the ball to Torrey, so he's largely being wasted on our roster. That's not likely to change any time soon unless Kelly gets some players (esp. WR's) who can excel in his offense. I don't like trading any starters away, but the bigger picture is Kelly needs a boatload of talent to make his offense hum and his defense to be credible. Trading Torrey should get another player who's more suitable for his offense or a decent pick. Why not get something instead of (virtually) nothing. I'm not anxious to see Staley go, but when would the FO ever get more for him than right now. It's close to the half-way point in the season and lots of teams are having injury problems. I'd say see what you can get, if it's worthwhile, make the move. On a 1-6 team with little hope of many/any victories the rest of this season, sometimes it's wise to acquire & stash as many picks as possible and pile up as much FA money as you can to improve your roster sooner rather than later. Any draft is somewhat of a gamble, but between it and FA, our (hopefully) new GM can make some real hay.
Phoenix...Kelly's passing offense if a quick-decision, quick throw deal. Both Gabbert & Kap have had trouble getting the ball to Torrey, so he's largely being wasted on our roster. That's not likely to change any time soon unless Kelly gets some players (esp. WR's) who can excel in his offense. I don't like trading any starters away, but the bigger picture is Kelly needs a boatload of talent to make his offense hum and his defense to be credible. Trading Torrey should get another player who's more suitable for his offense or a decent pick. Why not get something instead of (virtually) nothing. I'm not anxious to see Staley go, but when would the FO ever get more for him than right now. It's close to the half-way point in the season and lots of teams are having injury problems. I'd say see what you can get, if it's worthwhile, make the move. On a 1-6 team with little hope of many/any victories the rest of this season, sometimes it's wise to acquire & stash as many picks as possible and pile up as much FA money as you can to improve your roster sooner rather than later. Any draft is somewhat of a gamble, but between it and FA, our (hopefully) new GM can make some real hay.

Because every offense needs a deep threat. That was one of the major limitations of his offense last year with the Eagles. No real deep threat and a QB that struggled to throw deep anyways.

Go look at the 2013 Eagles for how the offense is largely supposed to function. They threw it down the field more than nearly every other team. Having that deep threat helps open up your run game and the underneath stuff that is the bread and butter of Kelly's offense.

Just because Kaepernick and Gabbert cant consistently throw it to Torrey down the field with any degree of accuracy does not mean that the next 49ers QB will suffer from that particular impairment.

If you trade Torrey youre getting a mid-round pick back, so maybe another Bruce Ellington or DeAndre Smelter. Youre not getting anyone proven. I think Torrey, being a veteran could be a useful resource for any young QB and a guy that will help open the offense up when the ball comes his way regularly.

With over $100 million in capspace, there is no good reason to trade him.

As far Staley goes, quality left tackles arent just floating around out there. If you trade him now you have another need to fill or you risk your new rookie QB getting pounded into the turf on a regular basis. Doesnt make much sense to me when you have him under contract on a reliable deal for a few more seasons.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 27, 2016 at 1:35 PM ]
bbbbb
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Management has to be talking about the trade deadline, player evaluations, direction the draft should take, etc. Personally, I think they should trade Torrey Smith. They should be able to get a decent pick for him or another player Kelly likes. As for Staley, I'd hate to see him go, but again, we could get perhaps better value for him than Torrey. However that works out, I think those are two trades they should make. The kicker is the LT position...who's going to play it? This is a round about way to my point, which is I have no problem taking a WR in the 2nd rd. Here's my however...I don't know that the Niners (Kelly, really) are convinced Kizer, Kaaya, or Watson are worthy of a 1st rd pick, especially a likely top 5er. For my money, I think Trubisky may be the better option. He seems to fit the offense Kelly wants to run (but doesn't have the right players to). He's got good accuracy (@ 70%), is mobile enough and can make quick decisions. With that, he'll need some WR talent, which could come in rd 1 for say, Mike Williams. Now that's some bang for the first two picks, IMHO. As there have been ridiculous 1st rd runs on QB's who don't necessarily deserve going that early in recent drafts, if they feel they can get Trubisky in the early 2nd rd, they'd already have arguably the best WR in this draft.

If the odds are good that you're drafting a QB, why would you trade away your only decent veteran receiver, not to mention your only credible deep threat away? The most you're getting back is a 4th or 5th round pick, which is nothing really. They need to add to their WR group, not subtract.

On top of that, why trade away your veteran left tackle? Especially considering this next draft is very weak on the tackle position. You're better off keeping those guys to support the new QB that you're drafting, not setting them up for failure by replacing Smith and Staley with likely lesser players.

, if they feel they can get Trubisky in the early 2nd rd, they'd already have arguably the best WR in this draft.

The 2nd round waved bye bye to Trubisky awhile ago. If he continues to play like this and has a good offseason, he could be the first QB off the board in this draft.

x2
Share 49ersWebzone