LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

Should we spend our 2nd round pick on Corey Davis?

So how sure are you that the top 5 qb prospects are less mediocre that what they overpaid for in free agency? Funny how Dak Prescott a 3rd or 4th round pick the best rookie qb this year. But let me guess the only reason for his success is his o-line right?
Originally posted by 25249ersfan:
So how sure are you that the top 5 qb prospects are less mediocre that what they overpaid for in free agency? Funny how Dak Prescott a 3rd or 4th round pick the best rookie qb this year. But let me guess the only reason for his success is his o-line right?

There is never a perfect year to take a QB. Last year was supposedly a horrible year for QB's. Meanwhile Carson Wentz and Dak Prescott are both doing very well at QB.

Wentz is a guy coming out of a lower level school, whose team went undefeated, he had inconsistent footwork and a limited amount of snaps as he had been a backup for his first two years.

Prescott was coming out of the same gimmick offense as Tim Tebow.

I'm sure last year you would have considered them mediocre as well. I liked both of those guys a lot last year. This year I think that QB's like Watson, Trubisky, Falk and a couple of others have the potential to become pretty good NFL QB's. If a team's scouting department buys into a quarterback prospect, then you go ahead and you draft them because realistically, your odds of competing without a quality quarterback in the NFL are very slim. There isn't a position that matters more.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 27, 2016 at 10:30 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Please don't twist my words because I know our biggest flaw is our qb play but with the money and 10 draft picks and also a few tradeable assets we can find a way to get 2 picks in the 2nd round

And the reality is that they may need those added picks to move up for a QB, which along with pass rusher should be the priority. After that you look at addressing WR, assuming you haven't done so in free agency.

My point exactly. Assuming we get Garrett with our 1st pick unless teams such as the saints, redskins, chargers, steelers, broncos and maybe even the dolphins feel vulnerable to draft a qb in the 1st 3 rounds I don't see the issue
My point exactly. Assuming we get Garrett with our 1st pick unless teams such as the saints, redskins, chargers, steelers, broncos and maybe even the dolphins feel vulnerable to draft a qb in the 1st 3 rounds I don't see the issue

They arent waiting 3 rounds to draft a QB. Every year there are teams with a need at QB. Just looking at teams that will be thinking QB potentially early on you have the Browns, Bears, Jets, Dolphins, Cardinals, Saints and Bills.

If you have a shot at a guy you believe can lead your franchise for 10+ years you pull the trigger without any hesitation.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 27, 2016 at 10:43 AM ]

There is never a perfect year to take a QB. Last year was supposedly a horrible year for QB's. Meanwhile Carson Wentz and Dak Prescott are both doing very well at QB.

Wentz is a guy coming out of a lower level school, whose team went undefeated, he had inconsistent footwork and a limited amount of snaps as he had been a backup for his first two years.

Prescott was coming out of the same gimmick offense as Tim Tebow.

I'm sure last year you would have considered them mediocre as well. I liked both of those guys a lot last year. This year I think that QB's like Watson, Trubisky, Falk and a couple of others have the potential to become pretty good NFL QB's. If a team's scouting department buys into a quarterback prospect, then you go ahead and you draft them because realistically, your odds of competing without a quality quarterback in the NFL are very slim. There isn't a position that matters more.

Actually I thought they were good prospects I just didn't want us to draft Goff honestly. Easy to say in hindsight but that's really how I felt. I voted Vernon Adams over Goff lol
Probably won't even come to that. Myles will go at 1, niners will pick a qb then go wr. Whether or not they trade up

They arent waiting 3 rounds to draft a QB. Every year there are teams with a need at QB. Just looking at teams that will be thinking QB potentially early on you have the Browns, Bears, Jets, Dolphins, Cardinals, Saints and Bills.

If you have a shot at a guy you believe can lead your franchise for 10+ years you pull the trigger without any hesitation.

Dolphins, Saints, Cardinals and definitely Buffalo will not be drafting a qb early on
So who's your top rated qb this year based on the fit for our team, he'll in general?
So who's your top rated qb this year based on the fit for our team, he'll in general?

Idk yet, Watson looks like the most natural fit while kizer has traits that fit both Kellys and traditional systems. It's still really too early to declare a #1qb for me at least...there are still some prospects who can rise up.

If forced to choose right now I'd probably go kizer.

I'm biased though, I don't really like chips scheme so I'd probably look for a QB who's skills could transfer system to system.
Dolphins, Saints, Cardinals and definitely Buffalo will not be drafting a qb early on

Dolphins stand to save a hell of a lot of money if they cut ties with Tannehill in the offseason.

Same goes for Buffalo. The ownership reportedly has been down on Taylor as the QB going forwards and they can get out of that contract completely if they choose to do so.

Cardinals were looking to draft a QB this past draft and were reportedly highly interested in Paxton Lynch. Palmer is up there in years and has a long injury history. Drew Stanton is the only thing left in the cupboard and he sucks.

The Saints need a replacement for Drew Brees. They tried two years ago with Garrett Grayson in the 3rd, that didnt work out. I expect them to be even more aggressive as the clock keeps ticking on Brees.

Originally posted by Allx9er:

Idk yet, Watson looks like the most natural fit while kizer has traits that fit both Kellys and traditional systems. It's still really too early to declare a #1qb for me at least...there are still some prospects who can rise up.

If forced to choose right now I'd probably go kizer.

I'm biased though, I don't really like chips scheme so I'd probably look for a QB who's skills could transfer system to system.

Agreed 100%

Dolphins stand to save a hell of a lot of money if they cut ties with Tannehill in the offseason.

Same goes for Buffalo. The ownership reportedly has been down on Taylor as the QB going forwards and they can get out of that contract completely if they choose to do so.

Cardinals were looking to draft a QB this past draft and were reportedly highly interested in Paxton Lynch. Palmer is up there in years and has a long injury history. Drew Stanton is the only thing left in the cupboard and he sucks.

The Saints need a replacement for Drew Brees. They tried two years ago with Garrett Grayson in the 3rd, that didnt work out. I expect them to be even more aggressive as the clock keeps ticking on Brees.

In the the post prior to the one you quoted I mentioned those teams but none of them will draft a qb in the 1st or 2nd due to the qb they have now. They're not in the rams situation as far as top 2 picks but they are in the same boat as draft and stash
In the the post prior to the one you quoted I mentioned those teams but none of them will draft a qb in the 1st or 2nd due to the qb they have now. They're not in the rams situation as far as top 2 picks but they are in the same boat as draft and stash

Both the Dolphins and Bills could be QB less by the time the draft rolls around.

It was widely reported here that the Cardinals were a strong possibility to take Paxton Lynch in the 1st round this past draft.

The Saints already tried drafting a QB in the mid rounds to replace Brees and it didn't work.

I'd say all of them have a good possibility of drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round.
Good point but there has to be a stop gap for these teams and I don't see them doing a draft and stash
Management has to be talking about the trade deadline, player evaluations, direction the draft should take, etc. Personally, I think they should trade Torrey Smith. They should be able to get a decent pick for him or another player Kelly likes. As for Staley, I'd hate to see him go, but again, we could get perhaps better value for him than Torrey. However that works out, I think those are two trades they should make. The kicker is the LT position...who's going to play it? This is a round about way to my point, which is I have no problem taking a WR in the 2nd rd. Here's my however...I don't know that the Niners (Kelly, really) are convinced Kizer, Kaaya, or Watson are worthy of a 1st rd pick, especially a likely top 5er. For my money, I think Trubisky may be the better option. He seems to fit the offense Kelly wants to run (but doesn't have the right players to). He's got good accuracy (@ 70%), is mobile enough and can make quick decisions. With that, he'll need some WR talent, which could come in rd 1 for say, Mike Williams. Now that's some bang for the first two picks, IMHO. As there have been ridiculous 1st rd runs on QB's who don't necessarily deserve going that early in recent drafts, if they feel they can get Trubisky in the early 2nd rd, they'd already have arguably the best WR in this draft.
Share 49ersWebzone