LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

McShay and Kiper on 2017 QB's

Falk seems exactly like the type of player that would go on to have a solid career, and teams will look back and kick themselves for overlooking the ability to execute basic NFL-level quarterbacking fundamentals. things like standing tall in the pocket with poise, clean mechanics and footwork, seeing the entire field, deciphering and manipulating coverages, throwing with anticipation, touch and accuracy, being able to adjust plays at the line, etc.
[ Edited by Heroism on Oct 25, 2016 at 11:30 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Falk seems exactly like the type of player that would go on to have a solid career, and teams will look back and kick themselves for overlooking the ability to execute basic NFL-level quarterbacking fundamentals. things like standing tall in the pocket with poise, clean mechanics and footwork, seeing the entire field, deciphering and manipulating coverages, throwing with anticipation, touch and accuracy, being able to adjust plays at the line, etc.

I read that in Greg Cossell's voice
Originally posted by LVJay:
From all these positive things (good pocket presence, accurate, quick release, smart, etc.) I'm reading in here about this Falk cat, makes me want to jump on the wagon...

Yeah I think his only weakness coming out would be that he plays in an air raid offense.

Nothing we can do about that.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Almost all the guys who run that system end up with high completion percentages. It never translates to the NFL. Johnny Manziel has a career 68% completion percentage (10th all time). Case Keenum completed 69% of his passes (6th all time). Graham Harrell had a 69% completion percentage (4th all time). It also got Jared Goff drafted #1 overall, currently has Davis Webb at 27 TDs - 7 INTs and has Patrick Mahomes completing 68% of his passes (26 TDs - 6 INTs).

You have a point, but regardless, Falk and Tribusky have a high completion %, can make all the throws and have good pocket presence.

Don't think Kizer and Watson are just going to magically become accurate in the NFL.

Oh, and the jury is still out on Goff...

I am just saying air raid offenses are made to make QBs looks great & all the quotes saying how great Falk is at running the offense wont chance the fact that there is a reason those QBs have a hard time translating to the NFL. Not that Jeff Fisher is the best guy to be developing a QB, but they keep saying Goff isn't getting the offense. We really need to hit on this next QB and i just think the risk to high on these type QBs. But hey that is just my opinion. I wouldn't mind Tribusky, but he will probably go to high if 49ers go Myles Garrett 1st.

If Falk had bad mechanics and looked to escape the pocket and run every other play, then I definitely wouldnt take him.

He's got all the tools and he's insanely dedicated.

I know I know, he's in an air raid system, but I still put him and Tribusky at the top of the QB class.
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Oct 25, 2016 at 11:59 PM ]
From all these positive things (good pocket presence, accurate, quick release, smart, etc.) I'm reading in here about this Falk cat, makes me want to jump on the wagon...

Yeah I think his only weakness coming out would be that he plays in an air raid offense.

They'll ding him for his slender frame too, along with possible small hands
Originally posted by 49ers808:

They'll ding him for his slender frame too, along with possible small hands

That's fine with me. That way we can grab a guy like Garrett in the first and take our QB later
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Is there a hidden gem like Prescott??

I wouldn't even call him much of a hidden gem. He was projected to go anywhere in the 2nd-3rd round until he got a DUI charge right after the combine.
I feel like this is the narrative every year. I like the amount of guys that could be first rounders if they come out. Watson, Trubisky, Kizer, Falk, Kaaya, Rudolph....they all have a chance to go round one or two. It's not as bad as they're making it out to be. They seem to forget the EJ Manual/Geno Smith draft, which was bad all around. Landry Jones might end up being the best of the group
Originally posted by saniner:
I feel like this is the narrative every year. I like the amount of guys that could be first rounders if they come out. Watson, Trubisky, Kizer, Falk, Kaaya, Rudolph....they all have a chance to go round one or two. It's not as bad as they're making it out to be. They seem to forget the EJ Manual/Geno Smith draft, which was bad all around. Landry Jones might end up being the best of the group

That entire draft sucked especially the QBs.

One thing that wasnt awful was the WRs and the Niners could have locked in their starters for years with DeAndre Hopkins and Keenan Allen with their first 2 picks. But, that would have meant Baalke actually putting value on WRs and being able to see talent.
I read that in Greg Cossell's voice

Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=17877440

5:30 - 16:40 is pretty a sobering reality about where college football is Todd McShay called it borderline crisis. I gotta say, I listened to the whole interview and I have to say that it was a real indictment of the college game, though they didn't say that specifically in the interview. I've been saying for a long time that the college game is really underdeveloping players, in particular the QB, RB, O-line, and WR spots. The college game is just incompatible with the pro game, and it's getting worse. Not a 1st round grade on any of the QB's, at a time when the 49ers need a QB.

I'm at the point where, at certain positions, I feel we should only draft players from pro-style offenses. Plus, I think the league should really find a way for teams to be able to develop - truly develop - players. Tweak the practice squad rules perhaps But something has to be done. The NFL game requires QB's to stand in the pocket, read defenses, and throw accurately. That is a question for all these QB's coming out.

This is why you take garrett no matter what

Completely agree. Buckner and Armstead are better suited for a 4-3 IMO, and you can potentially add Garrett. The D line would be set for years if things go as planned.

After that, if they want to trade into the mid/late first to grab a QB (Mahomes is my guy), they address two positions that have been a disaster for a while now.
Originally posted by PowderdToastMn:
Completely agree. Buckner and Armstead are better suited for a 4-3 IMO, and you can potentially add Garrett. The D line would be set for years if things go as planned.

After that, if they want to trade into the mid/late first to grab a QB (Mahomes is my guy), they address two positions that have been a disaster for a while now.

Which one of them plays NT? I think they're both ideally suited for a 3-4. I think they'd be DEs in a 4-3, as would Lynch and Garrett. Bow, Rat Ray, and Tartt would be fine as 4-3 LBs, but we'd still need a NT to play the 1 technique and eat double teams. One of AA or DeFo might be able to play the 3 tech, but we'd still need a nose and a better edge rusher, which is right where we are now.
Share 49ersWebzone