LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 317 users in the forums

NT Vita Vea - Washington - 6'5" - 332

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Only he's not really instinctive

Somebody call the mods. NY has been hacked!!
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Nastastical:
I don't think either Smith or Edmunds are dominant players. I think Edmunds has the potential to one day become that type of player if he cleans up his mental errors, and Smith is a damn solid player, but his ceiling isn't that of a game changer.

If someone is truly a dominant player, you select them and figure it out from there. Never pass on the BPA for need. Hell, I'd rather trade down than draft someone who doesn't warrant being drafted high just because they play a position we are weak at.

How do you determine the ceiling of a LB? Is it his size?

Not size, but he has to bring something that is unique to the position. Usually they need to have a combo of elite athleticism, size, instincts and ferocity. I saw it in Willis and immediately wanted him. I also saw it in Jaylon Smith before his injury. Foster also has it and you can see why Lynch had him so high on his board (his talent was never in question). Guys like Kuechly and Derrick Johnson also had it. I'd even put Shazier in there because of his unique speed. I just don't see that from Roquan Smith and Edmunds has some of those traits but is very far away from reaching his ceiling if he ever gets there.

Vea is right up there with Nelson as far as can't miss prospects. I can't pass on that for a position that we may need, even if no player really warrants the pick.
Originally posted by Dillesq:

?????

Dude one of his knocks is he's not a very instinctive LBer at this point...he's more athlete than anything. Not saying he can't improve and if the coaching staff thinks they can coach him up then I'm cool with him. Smith is a day 1 starter his instincts are top notch.

Nfl draft profile:

"Instincts are average and relies on athletic gifts. Can be a step slow to diagnose. Lured by misdirection. Will take random downhill paths that trap him in the quagmire. Patience is lacking. Races ahead"
Dude one of his knocks is he's not a very instinctive LBer at this point...he's more athlete than anything. Not saying he can't improve and if the coaching staff thinks they can coach him up then I'm cool with him. Smith is a day 1 starter his instincts are top notch.

Nfl draft profile:

"Instincts are average and relies on athletic gifts. Can be a step slow to diagnose. Lured by misdirection. Will take random downhill paths that trap him in the quagmire. Patience is lacking. Races ahead"

Dillesq is talking about Roquan, NY is talking about Tremaine Edmunds.

Lol get on the same page, fellas.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 3, 2018 at 3:23 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:

Somebody call the mods. NY has been hacked!!

Ha... I mean to me Edmonds is more athlete with stupid measurements then anything right now upside through the roof. Smith is like a lion stocking his prey back there he's good to go day 1

Lmaoooo i knew something was off bc Niner would never speak of our dear Roquan in such a manner

Nfl draft profile:

Ah s**t my bad Dillesq

Lmaoooo i knew something was off bc Niner would never speak of our dear Roquan in such a manner

my bad
my bad

It's all good man lol. Classic miscommunication
my bad

I was confused cause literally on the same page NY said Smith has superb instincts. I was as confused as when my GF gets mad at me cause I do something she said I could do.

my bad

I was confused cause literally on the same page NY said Smith has superb instincts. I was as confused as when my GF gets mad at me cause I do something she said I could do.

Haha...don't fall for that s**t.

If you watch GOT you will get it

He would love to play for us. I just don't see us taking dline in the first for the fourth year in a row.
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Dont want another interior DL

Understandable, but one could argue that selecting him would make everyone else's job on the defensive line so much easier.

A true edge rusher would make everyone's life easier.

Like everybody else i am sick and tired of drafting fricking DLine. Heck, what have we got...8..9. 10,11 or 12 DL? Originally with no ER, (we tried each yr), we just kept getting more and more DLs. Then Saleh's thot was to platoon , 4 guys every 5 plays. Well, we all know how that worked out, and besides that doesn't work too great on the 1 yard line. YOu want your best then. What we devolved to, was something entirely different. We platooned alright, but run D on first 2 downs and then passing D on 3rd down. What we obviously have been missing now, going on 3 yrs is an EDGE. However, something happened on the way to the forum. I will try and summarize a Vita discussion on NFL network, by some pretty sharp guys.

Vita is looked at by some people, (and we will know more in the next 2-3 days) as a dominant DL, perfect for NT in 3-4. But 49ers came up and one guy saiid he felt Vita might just be the most dominant DL in the whole shebango. They felt he could pressure the QB on every play but not from EDGE but from the one or three holes. IF true and that is a big IF, could a natural NT actually put the same pressure on the Qb because he was just so strong and so quick?. That was the gist of it, and i really don't know Vita that much, seeing him play only rarely....not enough to know about him. Since chances are once again we get aced out of an EDGE, is this a remote possibility. I would love to hear from one of the vita fans who really spent a lot of time watching him. Could he possibly be THAT dominant. One of the discusants seemed to think so. Since that was news to me, thot i would ask, anyone else of that mindset?

When we once again don't get an EDGE, (i mean dominant), there has been some interesting news along the DL...all 8 or 11 of them. Between DeFo, Solomon, Blair, DJ Jones, Mitchell, Dooms, then Day, and now Marsh, something interesting is going on. Maybe it is just guys playing fewer snaps, maybe they are getting used to one another . But our DL is definitely the one strongest feature of our team. And whereas not everyone plays every play, we got some real rotational guys who are flat out slick. And I didn't even mention ARIk, who coaches think is due for his yr. We weren't outstanding but we moved from dead last to 21st, dropped back a bit and then last 5 games with Jimmy, the D just showed up an stuffed everybody and excluding the rams, the Jags had every reason to want that game. So maybe our DL has come around and maybe we are about to get pressure from the entire DL...without an EDGE. Think about before he got hurt worse, AA busted thru the OL routinely then flailed at the QB. Same was said about Solomon...broke thru the OL and then once thru , didn't take the next step..ie find and destroy the QB . Some are feeling that this yr we finally get our guys thru the OL and then they become qB killers. DJ is coming on, solly for sure, DeFo just needs help...he is already smokin' it, Day looked good in last 4 games better each time, an then Marsh...he started to come along. Meantime Blair, Douze , Mitch , Dooms continue to put pressure on but we got a couple guys who do get thru the OL regularly. DeFo, Solly, and AA. What if Vita was truly dominant and always put pressure on the q.b. Could that be the QB pressure we have been looking for, but once again not from the EDGE but from the equivalent of a NT in a 4-3? ...multiple guys getting home regularly?

Again, i don't know him that well, but is this a realistic thot? Or was this just some smart guys just blowing smoke?
my bad

Haha...don't fall for that s**t.

If you watch GOT you will get it

Btw I just finished season 4...that guy is an absolute sociopathic monster. I hope he gets his
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Mar 4, 2018 at 3:00 PM ]
Why has the Vea thread turned into an Edmunds/Roquan rehash?
Share 49ersWebzone