LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 237 users in the forums

LG Quenton Nelson - Notre Dame - Jr

• TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
I'd at least wait until the combine to see if he has the movement ability to play the outside zone before crossing him off.

And what would you want to see at the combine?

Agility and quickness drills. Need to see if he's a mauler or if he has the light feet to pull and run.

Why not pick it up in film running the actual plays at full speed and with pads on? There are guys that can fool you at the combine and throw the 'potential' word around.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by thl408:
Agility and quickness drills. Need to see if he's a mauler or if he has the light feet to pull and run.

They will give an up close look, but Nelson has been used pulling enough to see that his movement skills are decent but not great.

Nelson has been asked to slide on outside runs and does so very well, sliding and reach blocking are just as important to an outside zone as combo blocking and getting to the 2nd level. Nelson can work in our scheme.

If you want a few guys that are extremely nimble look at Isaiah Wynn, Braden Smith, Wyatt Teller and Billy Price.
Lots of guards can pull. Mike Iupati and Alex Boone can pull. That's not a sign of true mobility because when a guard pulls he's coiled and firing from a three point stance, running in a straight line with no one touching him until he finds his block. Reach blocking, blocking while simultaneously on the move, is the type of mobility desired for outside zone.

If you have the raw quickness and agility to pull and lead upfield ontime, you have what it takes to drive to the outside shoulder for reach blocks and that's without being coached by an oline guru like Harry Hiestand. He has what it takes to run stretch plays as long as we can get him to adjust to the speed of the game (finish the reach or drive block with inside leverage).
  • thl408
Originally posted by TheNef77:

They will give an up close look, but Nelson has been used pulling enough to see that his movement skills are decent but not great.

Nelson has been asked to slide on outside runs and does so very well, sliding and reach blocking are just as important to an outside zone as combo blocking and getting to the 2nd level. Nelson can work in our scheme.

If you want a few guys that are extremely nimble look at Isaiah Wynn, Braden Smith, Wyatt Teller and Billy Price.
Lots of guards can pull. Mike Iupati and Alex Boone can pull. That's not a sign of true mobility because when a guard pulls he's coiled and firing from a three point stance, running in a straight line with no one touching him until he finds his block. Reach blocking, blocking while simultaneously on the move, is the type of mobility desired for outside zone.

If you have the raw quickness and agility to pull and lead upfield ontime, you have what it takes to drive to the outside shoulder for reach blocks and that's without being coached by an oline guru like Harry Hiestand. He has what it takes to run stretch plays as long as we can get him to adjust to the speed of the game (finish the reach or drive block with inside leverage).
My comment is not about Nelson on what he can or can't do since I haven't watched one snap of him.
I'm speaking in general for when folks ask whether a lineman is a fit for an outside zone scheme, and someone else answers, "Yes, I've seen him pull".

The footwork and technique required to reach block is so different than what it takes to pull. It can require reach blocking, or combo blocking then moving to the LB level. Different than on a pull where it's seek and destroy a defender.
My comment is not about Nelson on what he can or can't do since I haven't watched one snap of him.
I'm speaking in general for when folks ask whether a lineman is a fit for an outside zone scheme, and someone else answers, "Yes, I've seen him pull".

The footwork and technique required to reach block is so different than what it takes to pull. It can require reach blocking, or combo blocking then moving to the LB level. Different than on a pull where it's seek and destroy a defender.

Treat yourself THL, this kid is special. They do very little zone, but I have seen him slide very well. He does hesitate in getting to the 2nd level though, normally holding his blocks too long.
  • thl408
Treat yourself THL, this kid is special. They do very little zone, but I have seen him slide very well. He does hesitate in getting to the 2nd level though, normally holding his blocks too long.
For sure I will. Since he seems to be a possibility at #10, according to the forum, I'd love to learn more about him. That's why I'm in this thread.
I like seeing thl in the draft forum.
Originally posted by TheNef77:
Why not pick it up in film running the actual plays at full speed and with pads on? There are guys that can fool you at the combine and throw the 'potential' word around.

Well, a lot of players never get to show their potential due to scheme and usage limitations. Still very valuable to see how an OL performs at the combine in agility and foot speed drills.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place

It's easier to find targets in the ZB than it is man. If you pull and lead, your agility is tested just as much as it would sliding and moving up. In a zone blocking set, you're only responsible for the 1st threat one side between you and either the tackle or center. If the guy is athletic enough to constantly pull and hit his target in the 2nd level, he should have no problem taking the same explosive horizontal step with hand technique on a stretch and work his way up. The first step for pulling and outside zone is the same.

BTW watch the Nelson film. Dude makes some game films look like a complete highlight.

Watch Nelson's film, he excels at Reach blocking.
I've never enjoyed nor seen so much film on a guard consistently pulling, smashing, and winning. Not just winning, but dominating and playing to the whistle on his blocks. Still surprised how enjoyable a guards highlights can be and this guy is one of my favorites for us to build around. We build up the defensive line. Time to take care of Jimmy and open up some run lanes.

To me, it all depends on where the team sees Joshua Garrett's progress. I hope he develops in our scheme and wasn't a complete waste of a pick.

Definitely my favorite player to draft in a trade down scenario

Originally posted by NTeply49:
I've never enjoyed nor seen so much film on a guard consistently pulling, smashing, and winning. Not just winning, but dominating and playing to the whistle on his blocks. Still surprised how enjoyable a guards highlights can be and this guy is one of my favorites for us to build around. We build up the defensive line. Time to take care of Jimmy and open up some run lanes.

To me, it all depends on where the team sees Joshua Garrett's progress. I hope he develops in our scheme and wasn't a complete waste of a pick.

He isn't going to be available past the 15th pick. He's going in the top 15, no doubt about it
Originally posted by Scottie15:
Originally posted by NTeply49:

He isn't going to be available past the 15th pick. He's going in the top 15, no doubt about it

Oh ya if you want Nelson you have to draft him at 9/10
Easiest player to evaluate in the draft. Agreed.

Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame

Nelson lined up at left guard for the Irish this past season and that is where he projects at the next level. He has a thick, hulking build -- and he's the nastiest offensive line prospect I've ever evaluated. In the run game, he is quick out of his stance and has the ability to completely wash opposing players down the line of scrimmage. He rolls his hips on contact, locks on with a powerful grip and doesn't let up until he's finished the job. Nelson is very effective when he works up to the second level on combo blocks and pulls. He can adjust in space and he blocks through the whistle consistently. In pass protection, Nelson possesses an immediate anchor vs. power rushers and effortlessly handles twists and stunts. Overall, Nelson has all of the tools to be the best run blocker in the NFL and he'll be reliable in pass protection. He's the easiest player to evaluate in this draft class.
I'd like to clarify that at 9-10 I don't have much issue drafting him lol. He's basically plug and play. Especially if we don't improve guard in FA.

I'd still take a cb1 or wlb
Drafting any guard at 9/10 is equivalent to eating a bologna sandwich when you could've had tri tip instead. Can get an equal guard after round 3.
Share 49ersWebzone