LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

Are we going about the draft the wrong way?

Originally posted by TheNef77:
Originally posted by valrod33:
This is exactly how Baalke has been drafting

The highest OL Baalke drafted other than Garnett was in the 3rd. Brandon Thomas (another ACL project).

Its nowhere close to how that guy has been drafting.

You aren't serious, right? His first draft as the man in charge was 2010, and he got 2 OL in the 1st round.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by valrod33:
This is exactly how Baalke has been drafting

The highest OL Baalke drafted other than Garnett was in the 3rd. Brandon Thomas (another ACL project).

You aren't serious, right? His first draft as the man in charge was 2010, and he got 2 OL in the 1st round.

Youngling troll trying to find the best way to forge
What I believe needs to happen is to identify the vision to improve the offense and the principle of not overreaching in the draft.

Positional priorities:
1. QB
2. Any offensive skill position talent, whether that's a WR or a RB.

Is a QB going to be there? That depends because the #1 pick could go QB. Ultimately the question is do you pass up talent like Fournette? I say if he's going to do more for your team than a WR then pick him. The 49ers need playmakers anywhere they can find them.

You might say yes but we have Carlos Hyde. He's good but he's not scaring anybody either. Perhaps more importantly, Hyde is always injured so for as good as he is he's essentially useless.

QB is the most important decision here so the next GM will have to do some serious scouting to find out if any of this years top guys are really worth it.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Oct 22, 2016 at 2:37 PM ]

Were you in coma in 2010 or how does that work exactly? The 49ers took two offensive linemen in the first 20 picks of the draft.

Then you look at a team like the Cards and they took a guard with a top 10 pick a few years ago that got traded and then cut and their 1st round tackle from last year didn't play at all as a rookie and has been struggling this year.

Considering that its not a very good draft for OL and considering that the 49ers OL looks quite a bit better this year, I'd say there are more pressing needs on the roster.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Were you in coma in 2010 or how does that work exactly? The 49ers took two offensive linemen in the first 20 picks of the draft.

Then you look at a team like the Cards and they took a guard with a top 10 pick a few years ago that got traded and then cut and their 1st round tackle from last year didn't play at all as a rookie and has been struggling this year.

Considering that its not a very good draft for OL and considering that the 49ers OL looks quite a bit better this year, I'd say there are more pressing needs on the roster.

Of course. The point here is that if you draft crappy players you get crappy results. The 49ers need to prioritize QB and the skill positions for sure. If a QB is there and worthy take him first. If not, the next highest rated skill player regardless of position. For instance, I don't think the Cowboys ever regretted the Jason Witten pick years ago nor are they regretting taking Elliot early. If there are no QBs, consider taking Fournette.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place

You're right. We get Iupati and Davis with Singletary calling the shots. Harbaugh comes in and every lauds our oline. They produce a run game that allows us to get away with an ultra conservative Alex Smith.

then Baalke comes in, picks Davis over Iupati come extension time. Iupati has an All-Pro year, Davis plays twitter games with Baalke. 49ers current OL only looks good because we're comparing them to the mess last year.

I'm talking about building a DOMINANT oline. Top or near the top like the Cowboys. If Kelly is our guy at Head Coach, grab a right tackle that can handle the no huddle hurry up. Hyde's numbers would be ridiculous if he had a dominant OLine.

Moving up and grabbing Garnett is a start. I'm just saying we don't hesitate to move up and grab a beast Tackle or Guard if the opportunity presents itself.
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
DL for the 3rd year please

Followed by 3 dbs, at least one of whom has an ACL tear, and then a Punter or kicker because that's what the draft board says....
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Maybe draft two more cotton candy dline guys from Oregon.
We're going about Everything the wrong way. College coach, college quarterback. This is the NFL. Until we figure that out, we're going to get killed with our simplex schemes.
Originally posted by genus49:
Our OL is fine or will be fine. It may not be dominant but it's miles better than last year.

You'd be shocked what a legit QB can do in making the OL look good and opening up the running game when the defense can't throw 8-9 guys in the box.

Buffalo was getting pressure with 4 last week. IJS

The only building going on is the York portfolio.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
our oline has been built lol... now we add garrett and fill skill positions
  • fan49
  • Veteran

You're right. We get Iupati and Davis with Singletary calling the shots. Harbaugh comes in and every lauds our oline. They produce a run game that allows us to get away with an ultra conservative Alex Smith.

then Baalke comes in, picks Davis over Iupati come extension time. Iupati has an All-Pro year, Davis plays twitter games with Baalke. 49ers current OL only looks good because we're comparing them to the mess last year.

I'm talking about building a DOMINANT oline. Top or near the top like the Cowboys. If Kelly is our guy at Head Coach, grab a right tackle that can handle the no huddle hurry up. Hyde's numbers would be ridiculous if he had a dominant OLine.

Moving up and grabbing Garnett is a start. I'm just saying we don't hesitate to move up and grab a beast Tackle or Guard if the opportunity presents itself.

Scot Mcloughan drafted that line... atleast 4 out of 5 just saying
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by fan49:
Scot Mcloughan drafted that line... atleast 4 out of 5 just saying

Yep. It worked. I'm saying we do it again.
Share 49ersWebzone