LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Are we going about the draft the wrong way?

• TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Should we build our oline first and then add the skills positions? I'm looking at the Cowboys and they remind me of the 90's Cowboys. I really hope they crash and burn but look at them. 4 of the 5 are 1st round talent (they got lucky with the Collins signing). You add great skills behind a bad oline, you get the early Houston Texans. Carr's career was ruined from the start. You add decent talent behind a great OL and you get the 90's Cowboys.

Look at the time and clean pocket that the OL gives to their patient rookie QB. I'm not looking forward to what could happen as he gets more say on the pre snap. We all knew what Elliott can do with a crease to run through. Everyone keeps raving about his yards after contact but he's getting hit by offbalanced LBs and DBs while you have guys like Hyde fighting DL and LBs.

It's not the offensive scheme because that Dallas O was below average last year. It's the elite oline and decent talent behind them.
I thought we were rebuilding the lines first?
[ Edited by English on Oct 22, 2016 at 2:07 AM ]
This is exactly how Baalke has been drafting
Our OL is fine or will be fine. It may not be dominant but it's miles better than last year.

You'd be shocked what a legit QB can do in making the OL look good and opening up the running game when the defense can't throw 8-9 guys in the box.
The Cowboys could suck right now if they missed on their 1st round draft picks. You can draft offensive linemen in the first round every year and still suck if they don't pan out. They hit big time on Tyron Smith and Zach Martin who are arguably the best players at their position in the NFL. Then, they got Travis Frederick who is one of the best centers in the league and they got La'el Collins who went undrafted but has become a solid starter.

It also looks like they hit on both Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott and they were lucky to be in position to add Elliott to an already talented roster, because they lost a bunch of close games last year with a couple key players out. And Elliott's success isn't entirely due to the offensive line - I'm not sure if you've been watching him play, but he's one of the toughest RB's to bring down and is also one of the fastest RB's in the league and a good receiver out of the backfield. He's way more talented than Hyde.

Their success isn't due to the positions they've drafted - it's due to the players they picked at those positions.
DL for the 3rd year please
Originally posted by TheNef77:
Should we build our oline first and then add the skills positions? I'm looking at the Cowboys and they remind me of the 90's Cowboys. I really hope they crash and burn but look at them. 4 of the 5 are 1st round talent (they got lucky with the Collins signing). You add great skills behind a bad oline, you get the early Houston Texans. Carr's career was ruined from the start. You add decent talent behind a great OL and you get the 90's Cowboys.

Look at the time and clean pocket that the OL gives to their patient rookie QB. I'm not looking forward to what could happen as he gets more say on the pre snap. We all knew what Elliott can do with a crease to run through. Everyone keeps raving about his yards after contact but he's getting hit by offbalanced LBs and DBs while you have guys like Hyde fighting DL and LBs.

It's not the offensive scheme because that Dallas O was below average last year. It's the elite oline and decent talent behind them.

Trent MUST GO first then we can talk about where to start in the draft,anything SHOR of Trent being let go is a waste of time.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Trent MUST GO first then we can talk about where to start in the draft,anything SHOR of Trent being let go is a waste of time.

Pretty much
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Originally posted by TheNef77:

I don't see this. We can talk about where to start in the draft RIGHT NOW.

• TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
The Cowboys could suck right now if they missed on their 1st round draft picks. You can draft offensive linemen in the first round every year and still suck if they don't pan out. They hit big time on Tyron Smith and Zach Martin who are arguably the best players at their position in the NFL. Then, they got Travis Frederick who is one of the best centers in the league and they got La'el Collins who went undrafted but has become a solid starter.

It also looks like they hit on both Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott and they were lucky to be in position to add Elliott to an already talented roster, because they lost a bunch of close games last year with a couple key players out. And Elliott's success isn't entirely due to the offensive line - I'm not sure if you've been watching him play, but he's one of the toughest RB's to bring down and is also one of the fastest RB's in the league and a good receiver out of the backfield. He's way more talented than Hyde.

Their success isn't due to the positions they've drafted - it's due to the players they picked at those positions.

They picked 1st round talent OL with their first pick. They didn't mess around and grab a skill position guy hoping they would fall to the 2nd. I remember when they grabbed Frederick. Cowboy fans were mad because they thought he was a reach. I was pissed because I thought he was guaranteed to be there for the pick we used on Tank Carradine. That and I wanted Matt Elam over Eric Reid.

We shouldn't care about where this guy could fall when it comes to OL. If he's 1st round talent, we should grab him regardless if it's considered a reach. If we're rebuilding, let's build a young dominant OL for the future.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by valrod33:
This is exactly how Baalke has been drafting

The highest OL Baalke drafted other than Garnett was in the 3rd. Brandon Thomas (another ACL project).

Its nowhere close to how that guy has been drafting.
If we go by the last two years, it is how we have been drafting. At least on the defensive line side of the ball. With O-line, that is the one plus on this team (in pass pro). I don't think you necessarily have to use high picks either because if you use the Cowboys line of the 90s as an example, they weren't made up up 1st - 3rd rounders like the current Cowboys.

The only thing wrong about our draft is ignoring glaring needs and not addressing them in free agency either.
Originally posted by English:

Bingo!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by English:

Bingo!

It's pretty much all been trench work
Share 49ersWebzone