LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 209 users in the forums

Derek Barnett DE/OLB

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Jcool:
His numbers are somewhat inflated thanks to DC Bob Shoop, who's aggressive style of defense helped Carl Nassib get 15.5 sacks at Penn. State last year. He also is more a 4-3 end then a 3-4 linebacker so not really a fit for the 49ers.

Had 19 sacks before shoop got there gonna have to see the measurables to see if he's a 3-4 OLB.

Walterfootball said this...

"Barnett's body type might fit better in a 3-4 defense in the NFL. It wouldn't be surprising if he's actually 6-foot-2, and is a little short on length to be a 4-3 defensive end on an every-down basis. In a 4-3, he might need to be rotated more. Barnett could fit as a 3-4 outside linebacker."

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2017dbarnett.php#5bHWpwRmRHzFJHu6.99

FWIW Walterfootball is the worst draft site. Also from freshman to sophomore year -3 in tackles, -8 in tackles for loss & just +1 in sacks. Then they bring in Bob Shoop and he has career high 13 sacks and 19 TFL (+6.5 from 2015). Just because you are an undersized DE doesn't mean you are athletic enough to play OLB.

"I see Barnett as a 4-3 defensive end in the NFL, not a 3-4 outside linebacker, but that shouldn't hurt his value. He's a really good player." - Mel Kiper.
This guy is a monster. If hes available at #2 we should draft him.
FWIW Walterfootball is the worst draft site. Also from freshman to sophomore year -3 in tackles, -8 in tackles for loss & just +1 in sacks. Then they bring in Bob Shoop and he has career high 13 sacks and 19 TFL (+6.5 from 2015). Just because you are an undersized DE doesn't mean you are athletic enough to play OLB.

"I see Barnett as a 4-3 defensive end in the NFL, not a 3-4 outside linebacker, but that shouldn't hurt his value. He's a really good player." - Mel Kiper.

Lol you tell me how bad walterfootball is then quote Mel kiper
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Kiper isn't great but he is 100x better then Walterfootball.

Totally disagree but whatevs...it will be interesting to see him at the combine
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Hey if you like a website that is known to make most of its stuff up. Then more power to you.

Hey if you like a website that is known to make most of its stuff up. Then more power to you.

Yeah and kiper is on point lol I like to use more than one source...it's all good

Yeah and kiper is on point lol I like to use more than one source...it's all good

This was more passive aggressive then the last time my girlfriend met my ex.

FWIW Aldon was projected to be a 4-3 player by a lot of analysts too.
Originally posted by shmuck:
This was more passive aggressive then the last time my girlfriend met my ex.

FWIW Aldon was projected to be a 4-3 player by a lot of analysts too.

Hahaha

Yup and Brooks was a ILB in college as well, I'm not saying jcool is wrong I do want to see what he does in the combine.

I also agree with Barnett translating better to a 4-3 but we'll see how the offseason goes for him.

I want him and Taco Charlton
Actually, Barnett has put up comparable sack totals to Garrett...what makes Derek's total even more impressive is 29 of his 32 sacks the last 2 seasons came against SEC opponents. Only half of Garrett's totals are against SEC teams.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Actually, Barnett has put up comparable sack totals to Garrett...what makes Derek's total even more impressive is 29 of his 32 sacks the last 2 seasons came against SEC opponents. Only half of Garrett's totals are against SEC teams.

Yup. The only thing holding him back from being the runaway #1 overall pick are his measurables.
I like Devonte Fields more then Barnett at the next level.. I still think Barnett will be good tho
Originally posted by Zachary13White:
I like Devonte Fields more then Barnett at the next level.. I still think Barnett will be good tho

really?

thats surprising

imoi barnett is a top 5 pick fields is a 2nd rounder
Share 49ersWebzone