There are 173 users in the forums

Derek Barnett DE/OLB

Originally posted by AlmighT49er:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
What glaring deficiency? I watched this guy his whole career. Injuries to the Tennessee defensive tackles and linebackers was the reason they struggled against the run, not Barnett. He's a superior football player to Thomas, played better against a higher level of competition.

I am with you and MadDog on this one, impressive college career and i think he will be a force in the NFL. Would not be mad a second if he would be our pick.

These
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by jcs:
Production = Value.

Playing the same role as Clowney, Watt managed 20 and 17 sacks so don't tell me not to look at his numbers.

1. Watt is the most dominant DL of all time. Saying Clowney isn't as good as Watt is a non-starter.

2. No it doesn't. Being the best player on the #1 defense in the NFL = value.

3. Sheldon Richardson must not have been all that dominant since he came into the league. He's only averaging 4.5 sacks a season, 5.5 per year in his first 3 seasons. Bust.

3-4 DE =/= 4-3 OLB.

Reggie White and Bruce Smith say no.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:
Who cares? Awards don't change the fact that Clowney is now a more dominant player. Clowney is Julius Peppers; Mack is Jared Allen.

Did you not see the postseason game? Did you not see Clowney s**t all over left tackles the 2nd half of this past season? Clowney is healthy now, and he's playing like everyone thought he would. He's clearly the more dominant player AT THIS POINT. He started off slow because he's been injured.

This isn't a slight on Mack. Mack is a great player; Clowney is playing even better.

Except Clowney can't finish and get the QB. Just 10 sacks in his career only 6 last year. Mack has 30 and 26 in the last two years and 11 last season.

Maybe you want to look another number...how about force fumbles....Mack had 5 last year and 8 in his career....Clowney has 2...in his career and only one last season.

We could try to compare tackles but it's not even close...Mack wins....sorry.

You're going by sack numbers & tackles? That's ridiculous. Clowney doesn't even play the same position Mack does. Clowney lines up all over the line, but he's a DE in the Texans' 3-4 as the base defense.

Clowney plays inside because he's much, much, MUCH stronger than Mack. But he can also play outside because he's just as good at rushing around the edge. And some of the games when he got zero sacks were games in which he absolutely defecated all over the OL. Maybe you didn't watch him this season, but I did, and he was the best player on the field on either team when I was watching him (in games he had zero sacks).

Every GM in the league would take a healthy Clowney over Mack right now. Either one is great, but Clowney is playing out of his mind right now. He's Justin Smith or Aldon Smith depending on what you need him to be on any given down.

No they wouldn't.
  • Jasta
  • Veteran
Barnett is my new favorite pick if we trade down to 5-10. Perfect fit for maybe our biggest position of need. Can't believe people are preferring Taco over him. Taco might measure better but Barnett blows him out of the water in motor, technique and football smarts. I swear on some plays the referee is putting more pressure on the QB than Taco.
So I read that Barnett broke the record in sacks tied with Myles Garrett but he did it against better teams. Why isn't he graded better? Is it because of his measurables and not a physical freak like Garrett?
Originally posted by Jasta:
Barnett is my new favorite pick if we trade down to 5-10. Perfect fit for maybe our biggest position of need. Can't believe people are preferring Taco over him. Taco might measure better but Barnett blows him out of the water in motor, technique and football smarts. I swear on some plays the referee is putting more pressure on the QB than Taco.

Between the two, I much prefer Barnett. Taco just adds to our oversized, lumbering line of defenders. We need to infuse some athleticism and speed across the board.

With that said, I don't particularly see Barnett as the solution, either.
Originally posted by Alfienator:
So I read that Barnett broke the record in sacks tied with Myles Garrett but he did it against better teams. Why isn't he graded better? Is it because of his measurables and not a physical freak like Garrett?

From what I've read, it seems to be that he is predominately a pass rusher... wasn't relied on as much as a run stopper.
I like the kid, just not quite sure where we should take him.
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
Originally posted by Alfienator:

From what I've read, it seems to be that he is predominately a pass rusher... wasn't relied on as much as a run stopper.
I like the kid, just not quite sure where we should take him.

8-14 could be his range
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
What glaring deficiency? I watched this guy his whole career. Injuries to the Tennessee defensive tackles and linebackers was the reason they struggled against the run, not Barnett. He's a superior football player to Thomas, played better against a higher level of competition.

I am with you and MadDog on this one, impressive college career and i think he will be a force in the NFL. Would not be mad a second if he would be our pick.

These

Add me in with y'all 4. I'd take Barnett all day over Thomas
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:

These

How does Barnett compare to Jarvis Jones coming out of UGA?

Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

How does he compare to Reggie White?
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

How does he compare to Reggie White?

How do his principles compare to Jesus Christ himself?

I don't know..I didn't really have a chance to watch Reggie. Nor Jones coming out of UGA. The reason why I'm asking is I'd be scared to take Barnett if I was GM cause i remember they were saying don't look into measureables too much...he was productive in the SEC so he'll be productive in the pros.

I wouldn't
Man I can't stop laughing to even answer the question.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I wouldn't

Half the day? Maybe even 8 hours?

side note did you get married yet?
[ Edited by lamontb on Apr 5, 2017 at 12:18 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone