There are 225 users in the forums

Courtland Sutton WR SMU 6'4 220lbs

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Just can't run routes worth a damn. He'll be a nice late 1st round bust for somebody.....let it be Seattle, let it be Seattle.

I haven't seen enough of him to say for myself. But I haven't seen a single draft breakdown of him that says he's terrible at route running. Everyone says he's either good, solid, really good, or good enough.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
I haven't seen enough of him to say for myself. But I haven't seen a single draft breakdown of him that says he's terrible at route running. Everyone says he's either good, solid, really good, or good enough.

Took me 10 seconds and one Google search to find this.

Where he needs to improve: Sutton has build-up speed, but his speed isn't immediate. He doesn't "wow" you with his burst in his release. He can also clean up some of his technique as a route runner. He has a tendency to drift at the top of his route when he works back to the quarterback. Sutton doesn't run the entire route tree in this system and he'll need time to adjust to a more pro-style system at the next level.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000820916/article/first-look-scouting-smu-wr-courtland-sutton

It's glaring when you watch his tape. Route running isn't good and his route tree is limited. Wins at his level with his sheer size advantage and athleticism.
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 15, 2017 at 10:30 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:

Where he needs to improve: Sutton has build-up speed, but his speed isn't immediate. He doesn't "wow" you with his burst in his release. He can also clean up some of his technique as a route runner. He has a tendency to drift at the top of his route when he works back to the quarterback. Sutton doesn't run the entire route tree in this system and he'll need time to adjust to a more pro-style system at the next level.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000820916/article/first-look-scouting-smu-wr-courtland-sutton

It's glaring when you watch his tape. Route running isn't good and his route tree is limited. Wins at his level on sheer size advantage and athleticism.

Oh I only looked at breakdowns that were somewhat recent (dated November at latest.). Yours is from July, before this season even started. Didn't think it was fair to judge him base off last year only.
[ Edited by GhostOfBaalke on Dec 15, 2017 at 10:31 PM ]
Update: his route running still sucks.

No doubt, Sutton is an impressive specimen. The guy is enormous, and he moves surprisingly well for his size, especially once he's in stride. If he was projected to be a day two WR, the route running may not be as scrutinized, but since he's expected to go in the first round(seen some say top 5 lol wtf), he better have more to offer than just measurables.
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 15, 2017 at 10:59 PM ]

I really like this dude. He's the guy I hope we get in the draft. He has the size, good speed, good hands, and knows where the sticks/sideline is at when he catches the ball. I feel he is the redzone threat we've needed for a long long time.
^^

Got to love that attitude! I would not be disappointed if we took him. I have confidence that our coaching staff would be able to fix some of his sloppy routes. You can't teach his size and athleticism.
JJ Stokes
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Update: his route running still sucks.

No doubt, Sutton is an impressive specimen. The guy is enormous, and he moves surprisingly well for his size, especially once he's in stride. If he was projected to be a day two WR, the route running may not be as scrutinized, but since he's expected to go in the first round(seen some say top 5 lol wtf), he better have more to offer than just measurables.

Update: He does.
Originally posted by Jcool:

Got evidence to substantiate your claim? Show me something nuanced.

I want to be a fan of Sutton. My favorite of play of his didn't even involve a catch. He helped spring his teammate for a TD with a relentless blocking effort.
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 20, 2017 at 11:12 AM ]

I want to be a fan of Sutton. My favorite of play of his didn't even involve a catch. He helped spring his teammate for a TD with a relentless blocking effort.

Saw that too. Was pretty awesome

• Jcool
  • Veteran

You dont get 2,263 yards, 22 TDs and 138 catches the last two years by just being a great athlete.

"SMU's Courtland Sutton is going to be one of this year's most interesting prospects, with a good shot to go ahead of more well-known names at wide receiver, like Calvin Ridley (Alabama) and James Washington (Oklahoma State). Sutton is expected to come in at 6' 4" and 230 pounds, and those who live-scouted him came back sounding like they just spotted Big Foot. If he tests well—and it's expected he will—there's a chance he lands inside the Top 10 picks as the first receiver taken."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/12/2018-draft-quarterbacks-running-backs-baker-mayfield-bradley-chubb-courtland-sutton

I think Sutton is the most underrated player in this draft," the GM said, speaking on the condition of anonymity. (NFL GMs are not allowed to comment publicly on current college players.) "He's got some flaws but you watch him on film and you see some things that translate well on Sundays. "There's a chance he's the first wide receiver off the board."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/courtland-sutton-nfl-draft-wide-receiver-smu-scouting-report/10p0c4tu7mw2t1wtyvef729bjy

What do scouts see in Sutton? "[He's] a big, physical kid with good fluidity, body control and hands," one area scout responsible for Texas told B/R. "His top-end speed is the question, but he has a chance to be a No. 1 wide receiver."

"He's better than your boy Alshon [Jeffrey] was in college," another said. "Cleaner as a prospect, too."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2712795-courtland-sutton-already-nfl-scouts-favorite-as-top-wr-in-2018-draft-class
What is this? I ask for evidence, and you bring me text of someone's subjective thoughts. I want to see the evidence. Tape.Film. Tangible evidence. Cut something up that illustrates nuance.

For example, a clip of a split-end WR recognizing it's cover 3, uses fire-foot technique at the top of his vertical stem to bait the deep third defender, and then double moves him to the vacated vicinity. I want to see skill from skill players, especially those expected to go in the first round.
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 20, 2017 at 2:16 PM ]
You dont get 2,263 yards, 22 TDs and 138 catches the last two years by just being a great athlete.

"SMU's Courtland Sutton is going to be one of this year's most interesting prospects, with a good shot to go ahead of more well-known names at wide receiver, like Calvin Ridley (Alabama) and James Washington (Oklahoma State). Sutton is expected to come in at 6' 4" and 230 pounds, and those who live-scouted him came back sounding like they just spotted Big Foot. If he tests well—and it's expected he will—there's a chance he lands inside the Top 10 picks as the first receiver taken."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/12/2018-draft-quarterbacks-running-backs-baker-mayfield-bradley-chubb-courtland-sutton

I think Sutton is the most underrated player in this draft," the GM said, speaking on the condition of anonymity. (NFL GMs are not allowed to comment publicly on current college players.) "He's got some flaws but you watch him on film and you see some things that translate well on Sundays. "There's a chance he's the first wide receiver off the board."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/courtland-sutton-nfl-draft-wide-receiver-smu-scouting-report/10p0c4tu7mw2t1wtyvef729bjy

What do scouts see in Sutton? "[He's] a big, physical kid with good fluidity, body control and hands," one area scout responsible for Texas told B/R. "His top-end speed is the question, but he has a chance to be a No. 1 wide receiver."

"He's better than your boy Alshon [Jeffrey] was in college," another said. "Cleaner as a prospect, too."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2712795-courtland-sutton-already-nfl-scouts-favorite-as-top-wr-in-2018-draft-class

I like it. Wanted Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Kevin White (), and Mike Williams () too...
Will watch him tonight in the Frisco Bowl.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
What is this? I ask for evidence, and you bring me text of someone's subjective thoughts. I want to see the evidence. Tape.Film. Tangible evidence. Cut something up that illustrates nuance.

For example, a clip of a split-end WR recognizing it's cover 3, uses fire-foot technique at the top of his vertical stem to bait the deep third defender, and then double moves him to the vacated vicinity. I want to see skill from skill players, especially those expected to go in the first round.

You mean you don't like stuff like this:

It's glaring when you watch his tape. Route running isn't good and his route tree is limited. Wins at his level with his sheer size advantage and athleticism.
Share 49ersWebzone