LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 340 users in the forums

Courtland Sutton WR SMU 6'4 220lbs

Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
Everyone keep sleeping... Sutton is gonna be a dawg.

What makes him a top 10 pick and better than the other big WRs in the draft?
You guys are crazy. This guy has a lot of tools When he gets shut down, like against TCU, he is getting double covered every play and thats a defense that shuts down a lot of great offensive players. Go look at Trey quinn, the tiny white dude that played across him. Scope out his numbers last year. Guy had 1,200 yards, 13 touchdowns bc he was opposite of Sutton. And this is at SMU, where their QB is wildly inacurrate. Someone is going to grab this guy and get a beast. Alshon is a fair comp... no one is Julio lol.
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
You guys are crazy. This guy has a lot of tools When he gets shut down, like against TCU, he is getting double covered every play and thats a defense that shuts down a lot of great offensive players. Go look at Trey quinn, the tiny white dude that played across him. Scope out his numbers last year. Guy had 1,200 yards, 13 touchdowns bc he was opposite of Sutton. And this is at SMU, where their QB is wildly inacurrate. Someone is going to grab this guy and get a beast. Alshon is a fair comp... no one is Julio lol.

I agree. Would not be disappointed at all with him. He may not be able to dominate right away, but he ceiling is really high. He would immediately present a RZ target and then as time goes by, develop the rest of the route tree.

But is that enough for the #9/10? We'll have to see how FA shapes up.
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
Everyone keep sleeping... Sutton is gonna be a dawg.

I really like this kid, very intrigued. If Nelson is gone, i gotta think you at least consider Sutton. Would love him in a trade down in the 12-15 range.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I would consider taking this kid at #10. After the combine and pro days - I think this guy rises.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by mayo49:
I would consider taking this kid at #10. After the combine and pro days - I think this guy rises.

I would rather take a chance on Auden Tate who should be around in the 3rd and below. I just don't see Sutton as a fit with the limited route tree he runs. All I see is people talking about how Ridley doesn't win contested catches and what not, and that is exactly what Sutton does, but to me that's pretty much it. Shanahan receivers just don't look like Sutton. IMO
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by mayo49:

I would rather take a chance on Auden Tate who should be around in the 3rd and below. I just don't see Sutton as a fit with the limited route tree he runs. All I see is people talking about how Ridley doesn't win contested catches and what not, and that is exactly what Sutton does, but to me that's pretty much it. Shanahan receivers just don't look like Sutton. IMO

I think I'm just in love with his measurables - he should be a good player. If he runs a low 40, I think he rises up into the top 15, though.
I'm a fan don't know to much about him. But like his size for that redzone target.

dude's route running is poo. separation isn't something he's great at.

Those are things that Kyle values a TON in a WR.

I'll bet money he's not gonna be 49er.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

decent showing. Still want.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

dude's route running is poo. separation isn't something he's great at.

Those are things that Kyle values a TON in a WR.

I'll bet money he's not gonna be 49er.
+1

KS has even been quoted as saying he values the ability to get open more so than size...ie route running.
Originally posted by jcs:
+1

KS has even been quoted as saying he values the ability to get open more so than size...ie route running.

You're right, but he also backs himself as a coach, he might gamble that he can teach him. I still doubt we go offense in round 1 for this reason. He believes he can coach up his offense to put up points without premium talent.
Has the agility to become a better route runner.
If we got him, he doesn't need to immediately try and be Julio. We've proven we can move the ball down the field with Jimmy and our guys, but a big body can help us get more TDs and less FGs. Let this guy be our redzone dominator, he's on record saying his favorite play is the fade in the end zone
[ Edited by 49erInTheMidwest on Mar 4, 2018 at 7:45 AM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I thought he looked lazy at times during games. But people are making up reasons not to take him in the 1st. I don't want him top 10. But he's worth a 1st round pick in any draft.
Share 49ersWebzone