There are 229 users in the forums

Should we "Tank" the season for the 1st draftpick

Should we "Tank" the season for the 1st draftpick

personally don't think we should but its a thought
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I don't think we have to try, it'll just happen naturally.
We will just get a high draft pick without trying to do so......
No. This is a young professional football team. Not part of a Madden game. Enough tanking comments. What player would be stupid enough to play themselves out of a job to get the team a higher pick?
You always want to enter the offseason with a winning culture/mentality.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I don't think we have to try, it'll just happen naturally.
Exactly my thoughts
Okay. Here's the plan for the rest of the season. I want you guys to play well and learn the system. But don't play too well. We need to go 1-15 so I can replace most of you.

I'm sure that's the speech chip needs to give with 50 million in cap space. No way that would resonate throughout the free agent market.
You don't ever purposefully tank, but with that being said, it's not very likely we will be picking outside of the top 5 with the crappy defense we have. Our linebackers are extremely weak up the middle, and our DC seems like he's lost.
Play your best players and what happens is what happens...this isnt the NBA and coaching staffs and players who's jobs are on the line won't be tanking for anything.
Professionals never 'tank.' I expect our players to play as hard as they can and try to win. Unfortunately, we have a terrible team and I don't think they need to 'tank' to be one of the worst teams in the NFL. We will end up with the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft (sorry Browns, but you are the Browns and you will find a way to get the 1st pick).

In the off season from hell (2015) the wheels came off this team. The off season of 2016 and first quarter of the season, we have blown a head gasket, and threw a rod. We are just plain terrible. I keep thinking it can't get worse than this, then Bowman gets injured. I hope we have finally hit bottom, but who knows?

Are Chip and Trent the guys to get us out? I don't think Trent will get that chance, he will be fired at the end of the season.

Originally posted by English:
No. This is a young professional football team. Not part of a Madden game. Enough tanking comments. What player would be stupid enough to play themselves out of a job to get the team a higher pick?

This. There is no such thing as a "sure" prospect coming from college to the pros and a player can just as well underwhelm from the number one draft slot as they can from the 32 draft slot. There are "sexy" picks that we all salivate over every offseason but it doesn't mean that they can not nor will not bust as quickly as the next guy.

What a young team needs is confidence. The team needs to play it's best and let the chips fall where they may.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Oct 13, 2016 at 5:05 AM ]
I think with Collin Kaepernick at quarterback we will win four more games so our record will have five wins maybe even six. That will put us in the top 10 however it won't be good enough to get the best quarterback or best pass rusher in the draft. So now we are going to have to trade up which sucks but I hope it works out.

At least Trent got a lot of pieces on defense and A very good running back and helped out with a good o line and in the near future DL. If we kept in Blaine that would be tanking the season on purpose. We already kissed two or three games goodbye with Blaine we would've won the Cowboys and the Cardinals I believe so we already tanked those games and with Blaine missing some easy td throws and many easy throws against the Panthers we may have won that game as well. So in my opinion we already tanked the season but at least we get a top 10 pick now.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
This. There is no such thing as a "sure" prospect coming from college to the pros and a player can just as well underwhelm from the number one draft slot as they can from the 32 draft slot. There are "sexy" picks that we all salivate over every offseason but it doesn't mean that they can not nor will not bust as quickly as the next guy.

What a young team needs is confidence. The team needs to play it's best and let the chips fall where they may.

While there is no sure pick the probability of a top 10 or 20 pic is a lot greater to be a decent player. Players like Andrew luck and cam Newton we're pretty sure fire but there have been blessed in every years draft.
^^^^^

Sure there are examples of guys that have played to their stock, and we could lists guys that have and counter with guys that haven't but imo no one can hedge their entire season and part of their future on a probability, or even a possibility. Not too mention there are other variables that could occur between now and then as well such as an injury to one of the top prospects or even to the guy a team would "try" to tank it for.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Oct 13, 2016 at 5:39 AM ]
Define "Tank" the season. I am pretty sure playing the best we can still gets us a good shot at the 1st overall pick.
Share 49ersWebzone