LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 433 users in the forums

2017 Draft Needs

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
QB
WR(s)
OLB
ILB
Future RT (assuming Brown takes over LT when Staley retires)
NT
Change of pace RB

Staley is signed for 4 more years IIRC. Don't think that is an issue that needs to be addressed yet.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by BigYellowKahuna:
We need better TE too

Put it on there. I think our current TEs (when healthy) are okay, maybe 20th in the league? So not desperate need but could definitely use an upgrade

I agree but that might be their ceiling, we do need an upgrade at the starter position. Nothing wrong with our 3 backups.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
QB
WR(s)
OLB
ILB
Future RT (assuming Brown takes over LT when Staley retires)
NT
Change of pace RB

Staley is signed for 4 more years IIRC. Don't think that is an issue that needs to be addressed yet.
But, we need to draft the next 3 years knowing left tackle will be a need then. Better to develop the next offense with Staley in the lineup
Anything!

in no particular order:
1) QB: obviously

2) NT: should be day2-pick imho. We need an insurance for Ian and we don't have any reliable backup at all as shown by film analysis.

3) ILB: Bowman seriously injured again, not a single ILB is capable of being a starter in this league.

4) OLB: Even if Carradine, Harold and Brooks will stay with us for 2017, we need an additional pass-rushing OLB. Neither Brooks will stay here forever nor anyone trusts Harold and/or Carradine.

5) WR: Patton didn't do anything so far, Ellington can't stay healthy and the remaining guys are trash more or less. We need at least a reliable #2-WR, a possession-type, to complement Torrey who can stretch the field vertically, Boldin I miss you.

6) C: Can't remember the several film studies correctly but I think that Kilgore is not playing very good when run-blocking. Therefore at least a Kilgore 2.0 is needed who could be developed into a starter.

7) TE: Iirc, Kelly likes TEs. Don't want to say that our TEs suck, they scratch their potential due to very bad QB performance, but besides that they don't shine much. Either Bell or Vance show much more or we need a new starting TE as well.

Conclusion:
That will be a very busy off-season for the FO and the coaching staff.
An NFL personnel executive says Florida redshirt junior LB Alex Anzalone surprised him the most in the season's first half.

"I knew the other linebacker at Florida (Jarrad Davis) was a stud but I didn't know much about Anzalone. He's really good. He isn't a physical take-on guy, but he flies around and makes a ton of plays," the exec said. ESPN's Edward Aschoff reported in February that some on the Florida staff believed that the 6-foot-3, 244-pound Anzalone would have been the team's best defender a season ago had he not been shelved by a shoulder injury.

Source: NFL.com
How I see there needs
Number 1 is a QB. !!!!!!!!!!!!!
then in any order depending on who is available and what they do with free agents
ILB x 2
#1 WR
pass rusher.
Back up OT.
NT or switch to 4-3 that not may teams are running any more.
An AFC scout fawned over Alabama senior edge rusher Ryan Anderson to NFL.com, saying that the Tide haven't had an NFL prospect quite like him recently.

"I've (been scouting) Alabama for quite a while and I never remember them having an end like Ryan Anderson," he said. "They have had some big, strong guys but he's got anchor and twitch. I think he's the safest bet on that defense right now." Anderson had 11.5 TFL last year despite playing only 15-20 snaps per game. He's taken off with increased responsibilities this fall. "Anderson has the edge-setting ability to compete and win against offensive tackles thanks to excellent hand usage and balance," NFL Media's Lance Zierlein wrote. "While Anderson is likely to play outside linebacker in the pros, I agree with this scout that Anderson represents a new era of edge play for the Crimson Tide."

Source: NFL.com
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
49ers draft needs: Miracle

Hopefully miracle tears its ACL to give us more hope.
[ Edited by TheNef77 on Oct 17, 2016 at 4:42 PM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
I think you can add Safety to the list of needs for next year. Neither of the two guys we have look to be special and Ward is too injury prone to ever make the shift there.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by jcs:
I think you can add Safety to the list of needs for next year. Neither of the two guys we have look to be special and Ward is too injury prone to ever make the shift there.

Tartt IMO would be a great box safety.

Biggest needs IMO:
1st - QB
Do I even have to say something?

2nd - OLB
Lynch is good but he is not an all-pro caliber pass rusher. The big problem is on the other side, Brooks and Harold are not good enough.

3rd - WR
Torrey Smith is an alright WR2 but we have no WR1.

4th - NT
Purcell sucks. Williams is injury prone.

5th - ILB
We have absolutely no depth. Ray-Ray is good and I don't even have to say anything about Bowman.

6th - TE
We can live with McDonald but life would be much happier without him.

7th - OL
There's never enough depth.
Our RB corps needs more than a speedster...it also needs a thumper to augment Hyde. Carlos won't stay healthy if he's carrying the ball 90% of the time.

Definitely need some size and fearless attitude at WR.

TE's who can catch and make plays (and definitely block).

QB. There aren't many Wentz' out there, so don't expect whomever the Niners draft to be starting right away.

A big, nasty NT is a huge void...and it must be filled. I have faith Buckner and Armstead will be forces, but they're young & inexperienced & we're seeing those growing pains now.

Agree, remake our ILB corps. If Bowman comes back, great, but they have to prepare as if he won't. Need a replacement for Brooks...it could be Harold, not sure about him yet.

I actually like our secondary now. Bethea's become a liability, though. Our back end will make a lot more plays once we have a front 7 that can collapse the pocket.
Our top 3 needs:

1. QB - Crossing my fingers that we are in a place to draft Watson or Kizer. If not, Garopollo in FA and a mid-round pick might do. I'm hoping that we fire Baalke and that is enough to keep Kap around for another year to help bridge the gap for a rookie QB.

2. ILB - We have invested high draft picks in Armstead and Buckner, both of whom are 1-gap guys that get upfield. They don't hold the point very well. That style of play will expose a weak group of ILBs. We need a stud at this position badly.

3. WR - We are really missing Boldin. We just need a big possesion WR that has great hands and can be a reliable 3rd down and red-zone target.
Our secondary needs:

4. OLB - Brooks is aging and neither he or Lynch is a bonafide pass-rusher. We need another guy to rotate in and develop. I think the Carradine and Harold experiments are over.

5. TE - Vance and Celek are decent 2nd TEs. Neither is a real weapon. We need a big target with reliable hands.

6. NT - Ian Williams was turning into a solid player, but his string of injuries probably mean that he is done as a 49er. I like Dial, but he's not a true 2-gap player.

NT is down the list because I really think that Buckner and Armstead will be better next year as run defenders. They both have natural ability as pass rushers. But they are both young and lack the man strength to stack and shed bigger OL. Experience will also help them to more quickly diagnose a play.
[ Edited by blm7754 on Oct 17, 2016 at 7:18 PM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
RB out of Clemson (forget his name) would be a nice addition.

Need to go OLB in FA and at least 1 ILB.

Seriously missed on NT this year

Gallman RB from Clemson
Share 49ersWebzone