LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 249 users in the forums

Jake Browning - QB, Washington

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by sacniner:
This kid is 19. Look at Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, Montana and a s**tload of other guys at that age. NOT SAYING Browning will be a HOFer down the line, but ignorant to pick out this one game against this historic defense and write off a 19 year old.

Yes, his arm strength has to improve. But that should happen as he gets stronger.

Nah I'm not picking on him just for this game, I've never bought the hype. I put him in the same category as Baker Mayfield, in the end I just do not want.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
This kid is 19. Look at Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, Montana and a s**tload of other guys at that age. NOT SAYING Browning will be a HOFer down the line, but ignorant to pick out this one game against this historic defense and write off a 19 year old.

Yes, his arm strength has to improve. But that should happen as he gets stronger.

Nah I'm not picking on him just for this game, I've never bought the hype. I put him in the same category as Baker Mayfield, in the end I just do not want.

That's fair. I'm surprised at the hype he got this year. I've seen him a lot in high school and college and am a believer. But have to see his arm strength improve a lot the next two years... and I hope he sticks to the plan of staying for another two.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
This kid will stay all four years and be the number one pick eventually. He should get way stronger (he's only 19). If his arm strength has an Aaron Rogers type improvement, watch out

i dont see him being the #1 pick in any draft given his lack of arm strength. But, Alex Smith went first so I guess its possible but that seems like a huge longshot.

Two years of development is huge. He knows he needs to improve his arm strength, and I hope it improves drastically.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

That's fair. I'm surprised at the hype he got this year. I've seen him a lot in high school and college and am a believer. But have to see his arm strength improve a lot the next two years... and I hope he sticks to the plan of staying for another two.

I've noticed a lot this season that he tends to wander outside of the pocket and I'm not too fond of QB's who do that. I admit though his O-line had a rough outing today, but not too many O-lines can stop Tim Williams and Jonathan Allen. Still, the elite QB's recognize where certain players are at all times and account for them by getting rid of the ball faster, Browning held the ball too long at times.....most of the time to be exact.
I've noticed a lot this season that he tends to wander outside of the pocket and I'm not too fond of QB's who do that. I admit though his O-line had a rough outing today, but not too many O-lines can stop Tim Williams and Jonathan Allen. Still, the elite QB's recognize where certain players are at all times and account for them by getting rid of the ball faster, Browning held the ball too long at times.....most of the time to be exact.

After the Ross fumble early in the second, Browning and the entire offense were shook. The o line got demolished, no one got open, and Browning was inaccurate and shook. Reminded me of when his high school team used to play De La Salle for the championships in high school. Sounds funny, but he would roll everyone every week and then got shutout by a ridiculous defense.

To be fair to Washington, Alabama's defense is almost impossible to have sustained success against. They're just too big and fast. Their scheme is great also.

Jake went through a rough patch this year. He has a lot of work to do, but his improvement from year one to two was huge. I hope it continues.
This kid will stay all four years and be the number one pick eventually. He should get way stronger (he's only 19). If his arm strength has an Aaron Rogers type improvement, watch out

I don't know about all of that. He'll improve and he seems like a smart, hard working guy but generally there is a limited amount of improvement that can be made when it comes to arm strength. More will come as he adds weight but I don't ever see him having that level of velocity that most top picks possess.

I do agree that you can't hold this game versus a defense where half the guys could be NFL starters right now against him much. He had a great season but he is going to have to step up and do even better next year.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 31, 2016 at 4:01 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I don't know about all of that. He'll improve and he seems like a smart, hard working guy but generally there is a limited amount of improvement that can be made when it comes to arm strength. More will come as he adds weight but I don't ever see him having that level of velocity that most top picks possess.

I do agree that you can't hold this game versus a defense where half the guys could be NFL starters right now against him much. He had a great season but he is going to have to step up and do even better next year.

I used to think the same as you about arm strength until I saw the unreal improvement from Cal to the NFL of Aaron Rogers.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I used to think the same as you about arm strength until I saw the unreal improvement from Cal to the NFL of Aaron Rogers.

Rodger didn't have a weak arm in college. Even if Browning's arm strength improves significantly, he's never going to have more than an average NFL arm (and I don't expect him to get close to that). Late round pick at best as far as I'm concerned.

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat:
Guy has a weinie arm

Jed likes weenies

#GloryHoles
Arm strength is the most overvalue trait of the QB but people just don't get it.
Some Hall of Fame QBs didn't have a good arm(Steve Young, Montana).

Even now some QBs without good arms made very good careers in NFL(Ryan, Brees)

Still I liked Browning better than Watson

Originally posted by Judge82Dredd:
Arm strength is the most overvalue trait of the QB but people just don't get it.

Uh Ryan and Brees have strong arms compared to weak armed college kids....

Look at Bree's Purdue highlights, ball was a rocket out of his hand
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jan 1, 2017 at 8:45 AM ]
Originally posted by Judge82Dredd:

Did you not watch Brees when he was in college? He was slinging it all over the field at Purdue, had pretty good velocity.
After the Ross fumble early in the second, Browning and the entire offense were shook. The o line got demolished, no one got open, and Browning was inaccurate and shook. Reminded me of when his high school team used to play De La Salle for the championships in high school. Sounds funny, but he would roll everyone every week and then got shutout by a ridiculous defense.

To be fair to Washington, Alabama's defense is almost impossible to have sustained success against. They're just too big and fast. Their scheme is great also.

Jake went through a rough patch this year. He has a lot of work to do, but his improvement from year one to two was huge. I hope it continues.

Watson had success last year and I think he will fair pretty well this year. Clemson has NFL talent at QB, RB, 3 WRs and TE. I expect them to put up 30+ again
Huskies having a good year without a solid running game yet.
Damn, this dude is beasting this year without John Ross. Lotta chirping last year that Ross made him look good. Naw, this kid is the truth in the college ranks. Hope he's good in the NFL. Question is arm strength. Dude is really good in every other phase
Share 49ersWebzone