LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

Mitch "Mr Biscuit" Trubisky-QB-North Carolina

A redshirt junior with 5 starts? Let's talk in December of 2017.
Originally posted by Temecula49ersfan:
A redshirt junior with 5 starts? Let's talk in December of 2017.

If Trubisky continues to play at the level he has shown, he'll be a likely early pick in the 2017 draft if he opts to come out. He should have been the starter for NC last year as the only thing Williams did better was run the football.

So far he's shown a lot if poise and composure, he doesnt seem to get rattled, plays within the offense and has made huge plays down the stretch.

He is going to be interesting to follow.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 2, 2016 at 12:49 PM ]
The ACC is loaded with talented quarterbacks these days, and the guy with perhaps the most impressive stat line of any passer in the country is flying way under the radar. Mitch Trubisky didn't come into the season as the preseason Heisman favorite. That was Clemson's Deshaun Watson. He also isn't the current top guy on all the Heisman lists. That's Louisville's Lamar Jackson. He's not even the guy many were touting as a first-rounder in next spring's NFL draft. That's Miami's Brad Kaaya.

Trubisky, though, is the guy who just shredded the FSU defense and snapped the Noles' 22-game home winning streak, which had been the longest in the country. Trubisky went 31-of-38 for 405 yards with three TD passes against the Noles, sparking a 21-0 lead. He also ran for a fourth touchdown as UNC won 37-35.

"It was huge for our program and huge for our kids," head coach Larry Fedora told FOX Sports Sunday, praising his team's resilience and grit. "This was a huge accomplishment for our football team."

The win moved the Tar Heels to 4-1 and vaulted Trubisky into my Heisman Top 5. Anyone who scoffed at seeing his name up there should start by looking at the jaw-dropping numbers the 6-foot-3, 220-pound junior is putting up. He's completing 76 percent of his passes and has a sterling 13-0 TD-INT ratio. He's also run for four touchdowns.

Fedora's groomed more than his share of gifted QBs. He said Trubisky is a combination of all the best attributes of his top proteges. Trubisky is level-headed and calm the way former Florida standout Chris Leak was. He has a big arm like former first-rounder Rex Grossman had. He has the same kind of "unbelievable will to win" that former Southern Miss star Austin Davis had, only Trubisky has a bigger arm. He has the kind of wheels to challenge defenses like former UNC starter Marquise Williams had, except Trubisky, a low-4.6 40 guy, is even faster.

Trubisky showed glimpses of this kind of performance last season in limited action behind Williams. He completed an astounding 85 percent of his passes and threw six TDs and zero picks. He also averaged a gaudy 11.81 yards per attempt.

"He's just carried it over," Fedora said. "The biggest area he's improved has been leadership wise. He's really taken that role on. The thing that's unique about Mitch is that you can't tell whether he's having a good day or a bad day by the way he looks. It's taken me some time to learn how to read him."

Fedora said that seemingly unflappable presence is comforting to his teammates. It certainly had to have been as UNC rallied for the game-winning field goal in the final minute of the game after seeing their three-touchdown lead chased away in Tallahassee. Fedora's most proud of how well Trubisky has taken care of the ball, he said.

Trubisky's talents suit the UNC offense well. This year, the Tar Heels have emphasized their drop-back game a little more, but they still rely heavily on their play-action game. Fedora adds that even though Trubisky is completing passes at a staggering rate, it's not like he's just throwing all bubble screens. Against Pitt, where he went 35-of-46 for 453 yards and five touchdowns, Trubisky took -- and connected on -- a bunch of downfield shots. Against FSU this weekend, he didn't go downfield as much but that was because the Noles were playing their safeties a lot higher and not involving them in the run game. Instead, Trubisky just burned them with a lot of intermediate stuff and underneath throws.

"He's just very heady," said Fedora. "He makes good decisions, he doesn't get flustered and he really can do it all."

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/north-carolina-has-college-footballs-best-qb-who-nobody-is-talking-about-100216
Gonna try to see a couple of UNC games this year so I can get a feel for his game.
5. QB Mitch Trubisky, North Carolina

It's impossible to watch North Carolina junior Mitch Trubisky move around in the pocket and make gunslinger-type throws and not think you're seeing a smaller Carson Wentz. Or at least that's what I thought after reviewing three 2016 games and then a mashup of his 2015 snaps.

Trubisky, at 6'3" and 220 pounds, doesn't have Wentz's size, but he makes similar plays in and out of the pocket, allowing his 4.6 speed to set up plays for his arm and legs. And like Wentz, Trubisky is playing mistake-free football (13 TDs, 0 INTs this year) while attacking down the field on a regular rate in the Tar Heels offense.

He's only started for this season while playing behind Marquis Williams the last two years, but the early read on Trubisky is first-round potential.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2667967-matt-millers-week-5-nfl-scouting-notebook-a-new-qb-rising-up-qb-draft-boards
Originally posted by ninerAxe:
5. QB Mitch Trubisky, North Carolina

It's impossible to watch North Carolina junior Mitch Trubisky move around in the pocket and make gunslinger-type throws and not think you're seeing a smaller Carson Wentz. Or at least that's what I thought after reviewing three 2016 games and then a mashup of his 2015 snaps.

Trubisky, at 6'3" and 220 pounds, doesn't have Wentz's size, but he makes similar plays in and out of the pocket, allowing his 4.6 speed to set up plays for his arm and legs. And like Wentz, Trubisky is playing mistake-free football (13 TDs, 0 INTs this year) while attacking down the field on a regular rate in the Tar Heels offense.

He's only started for this season while playing behind Marquis Williams the last two years, but the early read on Trubisky is first-round potential.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2667967-matt-millers-week-5-nfl-scouting-notebook-a-new-qb-rising-up-qb-draft-boards

That is how I feel about him thus far. Cautiously optimistic. He still has a lot to prove this season but if he continues playing the way he is, making smart decisions from the pocket, throwing some absurdly accurate passes, being smart with the football, there's no reason why he couldn't be a 1st or 2nd round guy if he keeps up his level of play.

This weekend will be a good test for him against a much better Virginia Tech defense.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 7, 2016 at 10:28 AM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I love watching these potential top prospects go against ranked teams. Top QBs shine against top competition. That 0 INT stat for this kid so far certainly merits a watch.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
And just like that he is off every 49ers fans draft board....

CollegeFootball 24/7 ‏@NFL_CFB

"He reminds me a lot of Alex Smith." - @BuckyBrooks

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000716912/article/move-the-sticks-notes-strong-has-ut-loaded-with-young-talent?campaign=tw-cf-sf38194773-sf38194773
Originally posted by Jcool:
And just like that he is off every 49ers fans draft board....

CollegeFootball 24/7 ‏@NFL_CFB

"He reminds me a lot of Alex Smith." - @BuckyBrooks

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000716912/article/move-the-sticks-notes-strong-has-ut-loaded-with-young-talent?campaign=tw-cf-sf38194773-sf38194773

oh no
Had a pretty awful game against VT. 2 INTs and only 58 yards passing. I still like him but I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay another year.

Winners and losers from Week 6 in college football

Losers

Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina

The Tar Heels junior is one for NFL draft fans to keep an eye on, but Trubisky would probably prefer that no scouts see UNC's 34-3 loss to Virginia Tech. Trubisky had a brutal night against the Hokies defense, completing 13 of 33 passes for 58 yards and a pair of interceptions. For a quarterback who entered with a streak of three consecutive 400-yard passing games, Trubisky fell with a thud.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000717150/article/winners-and-losers-from-week-6-in-college-football
[ Edited by ninerAxe on Oct 10, 2016 at 10:56 AM ]
Originally posted by ninerAxe:

Winners and losers from Week 6 in college football

Losers

Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina

The Tar Heels junior is one for NFL draft fans to keep an eye on, but Trubisky would probably prefer that no scouts see UNC's 34-3 loss to Virginia Tech. Trubisky had a brutal night against the Hokies defense, completing 13 of 33 passes for 58 yards and a pair of interceptions. For a quarterback who entered with a streak of three consecutive 400-yard passing games, Trubisky fell with a thud.

Like with the Notre Dame game I'm not really worried about it. The NC receivers who had like one dropped pass all year dropped a bunch of them and the weather conditions were pretty crazy, favoring the team that was able to better run with the football.

VT played great on defense but the conditions helped tremendously in stopping a pass heavy offense.
If you check all the QB's that played in the Carolina's, I think the highest was in the 70's. Weird time to evaluate especially when everyone is naturally on high alert going into a rain storm.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Another solid game. Just beat a ranked team on the road against a good defense.
Great first half, he was on target on short and deep throws, second half he kind of faded, especially when the rain started coming down. Protection was spotty but his ball placement dropped off considerably from the first to second half and he was bailed out bigtime on a third down play by Ryan Switzer late who just continues to make plays. That guy is a gamer, all he does is move the chains.

Solid game all in all by Trubisky, particularly on the road against a ranked team but there will be questions about his ability to play in the rain going forward, if his hands measure out as small, I could see it as something that would be held against him if he comes out for the draft.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 15, 2016 at 4:24 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone