LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

Mitch "Mr Biscuit" Trubisky-QB-North Carolina

A QB worth keeping an eye on throughout the season. This is his first year as a starter and he is leading in several passing categories, has largely looked pretty good this season including a terrific comeback win against Pitt. He comes with decent size at 6'3", has added some bulk during his time at North Carolina and also has the athleticism to take off and run with the football if needed. He has thrown 203 consecutive passes without an interception, the longest current streak in the nation. The offense that North Carolina runs is quite similar to Chip Kelly's offense, its a frantic, one-back up-tempo spread offense that utilizes the no huddle a lot.

I'll take the Tar Heels entire WR group as well, incredibly well coached group, excellent route runners with outstanding hands(1 drop all season long). Ryan Switzer is one to watch for sure. That has definitely helped Trubisky out but he's made some really excellent throws at times, beating coverage, making timely decisions and with good ball placement on his passes.

https://vine.co/v/5rjQ2h2Vvrl

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/94971/north-carolina-qb-mitch-trubisky-proving-hes-among-nations-elite

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- They had noticed the fans leaving after Pitt drilled a field goal to run its fourth-quarter lead to 13, but now, as North Carolina drove toward the end zone in the game's final minutes with a chance to pull out a win, the crowd seemed impossibly loud. Bug Howard was sore, having fought off physical defenders all game. Mack Hollins was just a spectator, an injury forcing him to the sideline. Ryan Switzer was so exhausted he compared the drive to an out-of-body experience.

Their quarterback though? Mitch Trubisky was cool as a cucumber.

"There was not one time when we thought he was nervous or we thought the stage was too big for him," Switzer said. "He was even-keeled the entire time. I think I even got a smile out of him."

What's not to smile about? Trubisky is riding high after four games and, with apologies to that guy getting all the headlines at Louisville, he might be the country's hottest quarterback.

Let's start with that game-winning drive. North Carolina needed 17 gut-wrenching plays to march 63 yards. It wasn't a thing of beauty. It was a deliberate, gritty, physical performance. On the drive, Trubisky completed three different throws on fourth-and-6 or longer, converting all for a first down. That's an insane statistic, really. Over the past 10 years, only one other Power 5 quarterback has converted more fourth-down throws in the fourth quarter of a one possession game in an entire career.

"I wasn't really thinking about it," Trubisky said. "Just thinking about getting the first down, knowing the situation, trying to communicate. We just made it happen."

That drive was Trubisky battling, but so much of the past three games have been easy.

Trubisky started last week's contest by completing his first 12 throws, which ran his streak of consecutive completions to 30. That was a school record. Overall this season, he's completed 74.5 percent of his throws, second nationally, despite the fact that he has thrown more deep balls (passes of 20 yards or more in the air) than all but nine other Power 5 quarterbacks.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 22, 2016 at 3:19 PM ]
I haven't watched him outside of a couple of highlights. Looks to have some good potential
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I haven't watched him outside of a couple of highlights. Looks to have some good potential

The game coming up Saturday against FSU is going to be huge. If he plays at a high level, everyone will know who he is.
Draft eligible or is he going to be a part of the 2018 class with Rosen and Jackson?
Originally posted by ninerAxe:
Draft eligible or is he going to be a part of the 2018 class with Rosen and Jackson?

He's a junior so draft eligible. With Larry Fedora being mentioned as one of the favorites to become the next HC at LSU, it could be something that pushes Trubisky to enter the draft, especially if he continues playing at such a high level.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 29, 2016 at 3:13 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ninerAxe:

He's a junior so draft eligible. With Larry Fedora being mentioned as a favorite to become the next HC at LSU, it could be something that pushes Trubisky to enter the draft, especially if he continues playing at such a high level.

That's awesome! This is looking like a much better QB class than last year. So many options this time around.
[ Edited by ninerAxe on Sep 29, 2016 at 3:13 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I posted this in the QB thread. I'll add it here as well.

Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina

We highlighted Trubisky as a potential breakout player this season and he's off to a good start. His game against Pittsburgh last weekend highlighted his arm as he drove the ball to the sideline with velocity and showed touch on the deep ball. Whether it was a corner route thrown on the money, a deep out with anticipation or a back shoulder attempt thrown with good velocity where only his receiver could get it, Trubisky showed off impressive tools throughout the game.

There's still room for Trubisky to grow from within the pocket as he's often late to feel pressure and mechanical when trying to escape it, but there will also be times he breaks free from sacks or maneuvers out of the pocket in order to extend a play. More experience should help in that area. Through four games, Trubisky is one of the nation's top-graded signal callers and he has the stats to back it up as he has the nation's second-highest completion percentage at 74.5 percent to go with 10 touchdowns and no interceptions. A screen-heavy offense and an outstanding array of pass catchers have certainly helped his cause, but Trubisky is primed to make some noise as he heads into the meat of ACC play.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-college-football-north-carolina-qb-4-breakout-nfl-prospects/?utm_content=bufferc9649&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=college
[ Edited by Jcool on Sep 29, 2016 at 4:43 PM ]
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Haven't seen him play at all but in watching the clips he seems to see the field pretty well when going through progressions.

I will have to keep an eye on him through the season
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

This. Going to watch him against FSU this weekend for sure
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
A QB worth keeping an eye on throughout the season. This is his first year as a starter and he is leading in several passing categories, has largely looked pretty good this season including a terrific comeback win against Pitt. He comes with decent size at 6'3", has added some bulk during his time at North Carolina and also has the athleticism to take off and run with the football if needed. He has thrown 203 consecutive passes without an interception, the longest current streak in the nation. The offense that North Carolina runs is quite similar to Chip Kelly's offense, its a frantic, one-back up-tempo spread offense that utilizes the no huddle a lot.

I'll take the Tar Heels entire WR group as well, incredibly well coached group, excellent route runners with outstanding hands(1 drop all season long). Ryan Switzer is one to watch for sure. That has definitely helped Trubisky out but he's made some really excellent throws at times, beating coverage, making timely decisions and with good ball placement on his passes.

https://vine.co/v/5rjQ2h2Vvrl

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/94971/north-carolina-qb-mitch-trubisky-proving-hes-among-nations-elite

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- They had noticed the fans leaving after Pitt drilled a field goal to run its fourth-quarter lead to 13, but now, as North Carolina drove toward the end zone in the game's final minutes with a chance to pull out a win, the crowd seemed impossibly loud. Bug Howard was sore, having fought off physical defenders all game. Mack Hollins was just a spectator, an injury forcing him to the sideline. Ryan Switzer was so exhausted he compared the drive to an out-of-body experience.

Their quarterback though? Mitch Trubisky was cool as a cucumber.

"There was not one time when we thought he was nervous or we thought the stage was too big for him," Switzer said. "He was even-keeled the entire time. I think I even got a smile out of him."

What's not to smile about? Trubisky is riding high after four games and, with apologies to that guy getting all the headlines at Louisville, he might be the country's hottest quarterback.

Let's start with that game-winning drive. North Carolina needed 17 gut-wrenching plays to march 63 yards. It wasn't a thing of beauty. It was a deliberate, gritty, physical performance. On the drive, Trubisky completed three different throws on fourth-and-6 or longer, converting all for a first down. That's an insane statistic, really. Over the past 10 years, only one other Power 5 quarterback has converted more fourth-down throws in the fourth quarter of a one possession game in an entire career.

"I wasn't really thinking about it," Trubisky said. "Just thinking about getting the first down, knowing the situation, trying to communicate. We just made it happen."

That drive was Trubisky battling, but so much of the past three games have been easy.

Trubisky started last week's contest by completing his first 12 throws, which ran his streak of consecutive completions to 30. That was a school record. Overall this season, he's completed 74.5 percent of his throws, second nationally, despite the fact that he has thrown more deep balls (passes of 20 yards or more in the air) than all but nine other Power 5 quarterbacks.

I watched Him against the fighting Illini and he killed them,pretty good QB,but as long as Baalke is the GM,he will not draft Him or any GOOD WR,I`m sick and tired of this ASS-CLOWN of a GM.

Thanks Phoenix. Will definitely watch and keep eye on, I'm in full college QB scouting mode this season
So far, so good. Trubisky and Switzer both getting it done thus far. 21-0 NC in the 2nd quarter.

Bruce Feldman Verified account ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 1m1 minute ago #UNC jumping all over the #Noles at FSU. Up 21-0. Mitch Trubisky's lighting up FSU so far: 11-12 with 1 TD rushing & 1 passing
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 1, 2016 at 1:44 PM ]
Kid is shredding FSU so far. Definitely an interesting prospect and I like what I see so far.
Phoenix I think you're right, if he keeps this up and wins today, he'll be on the radar and on the move up the boards
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Kid is shredding FSU so far. Definitely an interesting prospect and I like what I see so far.

I'm a noles fan and EVERY qb has shredded fsu sorry ass defense, fisher has to fire the DC
Share 49ersWebzone