There are 182 users in the forums

Rather Draft an Impact Player over QB

Originally posted by DeHubb:
Those QBs who without a team first it took them Years to win their first Superbowl. Rodgers sat for 3 years. Took Peyton yeaaars to win the Superbowl and wasnt great in the playoffs throughout his career. Big Ben, Flacco, Russell won a superbowl early in their careers because they had a team built around them already. Drew Brees won a Superbowl by a team that didnt even draft him.

How is that even slightly relevant? How many times does a situation like what San Diego had present itself, where they had a QB coming off a career year and a super talented Top 5 pick all on that same roster? Who were the New Orleans Saints before Drew Brees?

You can't count on a young top notch caliber QB falling into your lap in free agency, as time has shown, if you want a QB, the draft is the best place to find one and the earlier you draft a QB, the better your odds of success are.
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
I understand the desire to not draft a qb just to draft a qb (if there's no qb with remote first round caliber talent), but QB is so important of a position that it's better to keep drafting until you hit than it is to bolster everywhere else while waiting for a slam dunk prospect.

No player is can't miss and the level of impact an above average qb makes is astronomical compared to the most elite player at any other position. The only way to win without a qb is if you're elite everywhere else and in todays salary cap era you won't sustain a team of 10-12 elite guys that can carry the team in lieu of a qb.

Even if we're not the 1st overall pick we should still take a qb assuming there's a remote first round caliber qb available. In recent drafts we passed over Derek Carr, Teddy Bridgewater, and Paxton Lynch who we all had a shot at drafting and all would make this team better than our last 5 first round picks combined.

Guys I would take in a heartbeat in this draft: Kizer, Watson, Falk, and even Brad Kaaya (despite not being a good system fit I'd make it work).

This.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
I understand the desire to not draft a qb just to draft a qb (if there's no qb with remote first round caliber talent), but QB is so important of a position that it's better to keep drafting until you hit than it is to bolster everywhere else while waiting for a slam dunk prospect.

No player is can't miss and the level of impact an above average qb makes is astronomical compared to the most elite player at any other position. The only way to win without a qb is if you're elite everywhere else and in todays salary cap era you won't sustain a team of 10-12 elite guys that can carry the team in lieu of a qb.

Even if we're not the 1st overall pick we should still take a qb assuming there's a remote first round caliber qb available. In recent drafts we passed over Derek Carr, Teddy Bridgewater, and Paxton Lynch who we all had a shot at drafting and all would make this team better than our last 5 first round picks combined.

Guys I would take in a heartbeat in this draft: Kizer, Watson, Falk, and even Brad Kaaya (despite not being a good system fit I'd make it work).

This.

I completely understand and agree..QB is the biggest need but I wont lie it sure is nice to think of a Garrett and Lynch demolishing the QB with AA and Buckner inside..or even a Hyde and Fournette back field beating up defenses all game..or 1 more lol which is crazy but a Jabrill Peppers playing safety with Reid and Tartt learning the ILB position full time next to Bowman..and have Peppers return kicks and Chip throw in some plays for in on O..all 3 would be amazing to see..but over all 3 I'm all for Watson..!
The question was posed - how many SBs have been one by highly drafted QBs in the past 10 years ... It's not even close and it goes back for more than 10 years.

1992, 1993, 1995 - Aikman, 1st Overall
1996 - Favre, 2nd round
1997, 1998 - Elway, 1st Overall
2000 - Dilfer, 6th Overall
2005 - Big Ben, 10th Overall
2006 - Manning, 1st Overall
2007 - E. Manning, 1st Overall
2008 - Big Ben
2009 - Brees, 2nd round
2010 - Rodgers, 1st round
2011 - E. Manning
2012 - Flacco, 1st round
2015 - Manning

Of the other SB winners over the past 25 years:

1994 - Steve Young (1st pick of the USFL) is in the HOF
1999 - Kurt Warner, likely in the HOF
2001, 2002, 2004, 2014 - Tom Brady will be in the HOF

The ONLY SB winning QBs in the past 25 years to not be a high draft pick or a sure bet HOFer: Brad Johnson (2002) and Russell Wilson (2013).

Brady is the anomaly. 6th rounder. But even so, 17 out of the past 25 winners were high picks. 23 out of the past 25 winners were high picks and/or HOF caliber players.

Sure, we can pray to get a guy like Brady in the 6th round. But highly unlikely. We can pray to get an UDFA like Warner (or Romo) but that is even less probable.

You take QB high until you land on a special player. And then enjoy 10-15 years of being competitive. Or you draft a great WR and watch him be the next Tim Brown, putting up stats for perennial 6-10 teams.
The title of this thread needs to be changed. Since when is a QB NOT an impact player?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
How is that even slightly relevant? How many times does a situation like what San Diego had present itself, where they had a QB coming off a career year and a super talented Top 5 pick all on that same roster? Who were the New Orleans Saints before Drew Brees?

You can't count on a young top notch caliber QB falling into your lap in free agency, as time has shown, if you want a QB, the draft is the best place to find one and the earlier you draft a QB, the better your odds of success are.

Out of all those QBs only 1 has been able to go against my argument slightly because what were the Chargers before he left? they didnt make any superbowls.
not every draft pick no matter the position is a homerun. But most situations WR, Pass Rushers and other positions develop faster than QBs do to the top of their game. So your able to get the most of a player at those positions longer at a cheap price tag and usually earlier. Your more than likely to get to a superbowl with an average to above average QB and a great surrounding cast than you are to have an Elite QB with just an average supporting cast. Watson to me is the only QB i see were id move up for him or pass up Myles Garrett or Mike Williams for.

Alot of Fans hate Kap now, but he did lead the team to a superbowl. He wasnt a better passer at the time than he is now. He didnt digress in talent. The problem was the team got worse and he got worse and showed he couldnt carry the team like everyone thought he could.
Originally posted by midrdan:
The question was posed - how many SBs have been one by highly drafted QBs in the past 10 years ... It's not even close and it goes back for more than 10 years.

1992, 1993, 1995 - Aikman, 1st Overall
1996 - Favre, 2nd round
1997, 1998 - Elway, 1st Overall
2000 - Dilfer, 6th Overall
2005 - Big Ben, 10th Overall
2006 - Manning, 1st Overall
2007 - E. Manning, 1st Overall
2008 - Big Ben
2009 - Brees, 2nd round
2010 - Rodgers, 1st round
2011 - E. Manning
2012 - Flacco, 1st round
2015 - Manning

Of the other SB winners over the past 25 years:

1994 - Steve Young (1st pick of the USFL) is in the HOF
1999 - Kurt Warner, likely in the HOF
2001, 2002, 2004, 2014 - Tom Brady will be in the HOF

The ONLY SB winning QBs in the past 25 years to not be a high draft pick or a sure bet HOFer: Brad Johnson (2002) and Russell Wilson (2013).

Brady is the anomaly. 6th rounder. But even so, 17 out of the past 25 winners were high picks. 23 out of the past 25 winners were high picks and/or HOF caliber players.

Sure, we can pray to get a guy like Brady in the 6th round. But highly unlikely. We can pray to get an UDFA like Warner (or Romo) but that is even less probable.

You take QB high until you land on a special player. And then enjoy 10-15 years of being competitive. Or you draft a great WR and watch him be the next Tim Brown, putting up stats for perennial 6-10 teams.

I was speaking in top 10 reference and in the recent decade.
Out of all those QBs only 1 has been able to go against my argument slightly because what were the Chargers before he left? they didnt make any superbowls.
not every draft pick no matter the position is a homerun. But most situations WR, Pass Rushers and other positions develop faster than QBs do to the top of their game. So your able to get the most of a player at those positions longer at a cheap price tag and usually earlier. Your more than likely to get to a superbowl with an average to above average QB and a great surrounding cast than you are to have an Elite QB with just an average supporting cast.

Look back at the list of the past 30 SB winners and tell me how many times the winning QB was either a high draft or a HOF caliber QB.

Your argument doesnt add up historically or statistically. Pointing to the occasional example where a team with pedestrian QB play won only highlights how rare it is.

QB is the most important position on the football field and its not even close. You either have one or youre going to be spending your time trying to find one and if you dont have one, success is hard to come by and even harder to maintain, even moreso in this day and age where you have to be able to pass the football. 3 yards and a cloud of dust aint getting it done.

Watson to me is the only QB i see were id move up for him or pass up Myles Garrett or Mike Williams for.

Depending on how things shake out, Watson might not even be the top QB prospect in the upcoming draft. Already there are reports that some scouts would opt for Kizer over him. There is going to be some intriguing QB talent at the top.

Alot of Fans hate Kap now, but he did lead the team to a superbowl. He wasnt a better passer at the time than he is now. He didnt digress in talent. The problem was the team got worse and he got worse and showed he couldnt carry the team like everyone thought he could.

No he didnt digress, he regressed or rather the NFL caught up to a QB with a limited skillset. What Kaepernick did in 2012 wasnt sustainable. NFL defenses adjust rapidly, they identified his weaknesses and attacked them relentlessly. When nobody knew how to play him and he could run wild and just play on instinct, he thrived. Once teams began taking away what he liked to do the struggles began. He has never shown the "software" that Steve Young talked about being a necessity in order to be a top QB.
Unless theres a cant miss looking QB in the Draft like a Winston, or Luck(who looking questionable now). I would rather draft instant impact players. Like a WR or Pass rusher. You dont need star QBs these days to win Superbowls. Just great teams and special great Defenses. Eli has more Superbowls than Rodgers. Broncos won last year with less than good QBs. OL looking respectable and DL its getting stronger vs the run. Plus QBs cost too much these days just to have them make the playoffs but not win ships.

Who's a can't miss WR in this draft? Like others are saying there no such thing as a can't miss player.

The you don't need a QB to win is such bull s**t...outside of Denver who did stil have manning the last team to win a SB without a real QB was TB in 2003 lol. Those type of defenses are more rare then getting a franchise QB ( because you need a whole squad of stud defense players )
Originally posted by 49ers808:
The title of this thread needs to be changed. Since when is a QB NOT an impact player?

Right lol? Most important postion in all of sports nah we don't need one of those haha.

JJ watt is one of the most dominant defensive players in the league and Texans has had top tier defense for years BUT no QB, guess what they've won a bunch of nothing lol.

Yeah no thanks
The saying that defense wins championships may have applied to the old style of football in such teams revolved around a running back and threw the ball occasionally.
In this current NFL style you need a QB
You can't win games if you can't move the ball
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Not likely, but how cool would it be to come away with a Deshaun Watson Mike Williams combo?
I think it will be a QB in the first round and if necessary I think we will trade up. And additionally I think we will take a second one with a lower pick, around 4th depending on who is left. Then whoever has performed best out of the current 3 will do a Brett Favre to their Aaron Rogers.

The problem is, even then there is no guarantee of success.

Yup, and chances are good that Baalke get fired if he follows that advice. That first pick needs to be a QB, and I think he should sit a season to develope.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Sep 23, 2016 at 5:18 AM ]
The 49ers drafting a QB? Does Baalke know what to look for? He can draft a DB but stays away for drafting quarterbacks, why? The only reason I can think of is that he can't, he does not grade them at all. If Chip and Gamble make a power play and instal Gamble as the next GM watch us draft a QB in the first three rounds.
Share 49ersWebzone