LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 208 users in the forums

Bad teams that need a Quarterback

Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by FL9er:
Piggybacking off of jreff post in another thread, these are the teams that could be in the market for a young QB:

Chicago
New Orleans
Washington
Cleveland
NY Jets

The Jets are the only potential playoff team on the list. I know this is blasphemous to say, but if the 49ers have to pay a heavy price to move up to the top of the draft, I think they are better equipped to do it this time around. This team is going nowhere until they get a QB. Easier said than done.

There are other teams who could surprise people by wanting a QB like the Eagles last year. The Dolphins and Chargers come to mind.

Interesting thread, guys.

I know Rivers is getting on a bit but I think SD are unlikely to put together a blockbuster trade for his replacement when he probably has another couple of years in him. Likewise with the rather younger Tannehill and Miami. With a moderate QB at the helm, are they likely to put together a blockbuster trade to secure a rookie. I have to say, this year's QB trades both smacked of the sort of desperation that I can't see QB-wise at SD and rather doubt at Miami.

Would Baalke do it? For the right candidate, yes I think so. By the end of the season Chip and Baalke will I imagine be clear if any of the current options are the answer or not. With the lines sorted, that probably will be the best time to push the chips (pun intended) onto the table. Our major needs are QB, WR and pass rusher, probably as it stands right now in that order. With the development time for a young QB it seems the right time and look to resolve the other issues either with lower picks or the following year.

Still plenty of if's but 2017 looks like the right time in my opinion.
Originally posted by English:
Piggybacking off of jreff post in another thread, these are the teams that could be in the market for a young QB:

Chicago
New Orleans
Washington
Cleveland
NY Jets

The Jets are the only potential playoff team on the list. I know this is blasphemous to say, but if the 49ers have to pay a heavy price to move up to the top of the draft, I think they are better equipped to do it this time around. This team is going nowhere until they get a QB. Easier said than done.

There are other teams who could surprise people by wanting a QB like the Eagles last year. The Dolphins and Chargers come to mind.

Interesting thread, guys.

I know Rivers is getting on a bit but I think SD are unlikely to put together a blockbuster trade for his replacement when he probably has another couple of years in him. Likewise with the rather younger Tannehill and Miami. With a moderate QB at the helm, are they likely to put together a blockbuster trade to secure a rookie. I have to say, this year's QB trades both smacked of the sort of desperation that I can't see QB-wise at SD and rather doubt at Miami.

Would Baalke do it? For the right candidate, yes I think so. By the end of the season Chip and Baalke will I imagine be clear if any of the current options are the answer or not. With the lines sorted, that probably will be the best time to push the chips (pun intended) onto the table. Our major needs are QB, WR and pass rusher, probably as it stands right now in that order. With the development time for a young QB it seems the right time and look to resolve the other issues either with lower picks or the following year.

Still plenty of if's but 2017 looks like the right time in my opinion.

I agree. But come draft time there can always be a curveball. In reality it will be us the Bears and Browns. And right now we look like the much better team. That's why I would be throwing our 1st in the Patriots face.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Right I could see them looking for a development QB but not early in the draft.

Cleveland, Bears, SF, possibly Buffalo (if rex get's canned) those are the most obvious to me....If we can land Watson/Kizer and get a pass rusher like Fields I'd be happy.

Go for FA for a WR like Floyd/AJ and were in business

Buffalo just resigned what's his face for a s**t ton of money
Originally posted by jreff22:

He has no guaranteed money and its been reported that the ownership questions whether or not he should be the QB going forward.

Th contract breaks down to a one yr prove it deal...a lot of fluff
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 21, 2016 at 9:06 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He has no guaranteed money and its been reported that the ownership questions whether or not he should be the QB going forward.

You think they are going to bail on him one year after giving him a contract? He's got minimum 2 years IMO before a move is made.
  • dj43

Chicago
New Orleans
Washington
Cleveland
NY Jets

My point was nobody needing a QB should be drafting in front of us, except for maybe Cleveland. So the idea of trading up might not even need to happen.

I think it is too early to say that. Chicago looks awful, even when Cutler is healthy. Washington is not much better.

We don't know what this season will bring for the 49ers but this team has a lot more talent than many observers see. I would not be surprised to see them win 7 games which means a major move will have to be made to move up for a QB. Think Atlanta Julio Jones movement.

EDIT: I don't have a problem with that kind of move if Baalke/Kelly believe the right guy is there. Fortunately there is a lot of time left to evaluate all the options.
[ Edited by dj43 on Sep 21, 2016 at 9:42 AM ]
You think they are going to bail on him one year after giving him a contract? He's got minimum 2 years IMO before a move is made.

Possibly.

Taylor's contract is clear: the Bills have until the third day of the 2017 league year (in mid-March) to exercise a $15.5 million option, which would trigger the 2018-21 seasons of his contract. In addition to paying Taylor the $15.5 million bonus, the team would also pay him a fully-guaranteed $12 million base salary for the 2017 season once the option is exercised.

If the Bills don't exercise the option and Taylor remains on the roster on the fourth day of the 2017 league year, then Taylor's 2017 base salary will be a fully-guaranteed $27.5 million -- the exact amount they would pay him if they exercised the option.

In other words, the Bills' choices after this season are to (1) pay Taylor $27.5 million, or (2) decline the option and release him before the fourth day of the 2017 league year, and owe him nothing. If Taylor continues at his current performance level, then door No. 2 becomes a real possibility for a team that is staring down the possibility of a losing season and a potential rebuild.

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/25974/bills-have-27-5-million-tyrod-taylor-decision-riding-on-coaching-swap

Even if they did keep him, I don't believe it would necessarily preclude them from drafting a QB early.
Originally posted by dj43:
I think it is too early to say that. Chicago looks awful, even when Cutler is healthy. Washington is not much better.

We don't know what this season will bring for the 49ers but this team has a lot more talent than many observers see. I would not be surprised to see them win 7 games which means a major move will have to be made to move up for a QB. Think Atlanta Julio Jones movement.

I can't see anyway the Bears don't draft a QB. Both Jon Gruden and John Clayton said that they expect this to be Cutler's final year in Chicago.

Also in their local media-> http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/its-time-jay-cutler-must-go/

As it stands the Bears are the worst team in the NFC North, unless Fox and Fangio can pull something out of their backsides, Chicago looks like a 5 or 6 win team at best.

If Kirk Cousins doesn't turn it around, the Redskins might just opt to cut ties with him and go searching for a QB in the draft as well.

Chicago
New Orleans
Washington
Cleveland
NY Jets

My point was nobody needing a QB should be drafting in front of us, except for maybe Cleveland. So the idea of trading up might not even need to happen.

We might be right out of the top 10 but not by much. Atlanta was in the 20's I think with the Julio trade. We might be in a position to have a QB just fall to us. I know it sounds risky but it's possible right now.

Cleveland does have 2 1st rounders so they will be a wild card.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

If that coaching staff is let go and the next guy wants a different QB why not? That's why they setup his contract that way. I mean I hope he balls out lol
I agree. But come draft time there can always be a curveball. In reality it will be us the Bears and Browns. And right now we look like the much better team. That's why I would be throwing our 1st in the Patriots face.

In no way am I throwing the Pats a 1st rd pick espeically if we have a top 10 pick...hell no
  • dj43

Chicago
New Orleans
Washington
Cleveland
NY Jets

We might be right out of the top 10 but not by much. Atlanta was in the 20's I think with the Julio trade. We might be in a position to have a QB just fall to us. I know it sounds risky but it's possible right now.

In the above scenarios, there are three teams that will need a QB that will be drafting ahead of us. If that is the case, any trade partner we might find will realize they hold the winning hand, and will ask for the moon. In that case, we might hope someone falls or move for a WR or pass rusher. Neither of those are as important as a quality QB but we certainly need both.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

In no way am I throwing the Pats a 1st rd pick espeically if we have a top 10 pick...hell no

I'll take a youngish proven can play in this league guy over the gamble of drafting a potential bust.
Share 49ersWebzone