LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 259 users in the forums

Bad teams that need a Quarterback

• FL9er
  • Veteran
Piggybacking off of jreff post in another thread, these are the teams that could be in the market for a young QB:

Chicago
New Orleans
Washington
Cleveland
NY Jets

The Jets are the only potential playoff team on the list. I know this is blasphemous to say, but if the 49ers have to pay a heavy price to move up to the top of the draft, I think they are better equipped to do it this time around. This team is going nowhere until they get a QB. Easier said than done.
New Orleans will mess around and win 7+ games like always. With Brees looking like he can play 2-3 more years I doubt they go QB early.

Washington is definitely one if Cousins continues to suck it up.

Cleveland and Chicago absolutely. Chicago looks like the worst team in the NFC North.

Matching QBs with teams

DeShone Kizer-Cleveland. Big, strong armed QB, a much more talented version of Jason Campbell who played for Hue in Oakland.

Deshaun Watson-San Francisco. Perfect fit for Kelly's offense in every way.

Brad Kaaya-Chicago. More traditional pocket passer with good accuracy to all levels.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 20, 2016 at 8:54 PM ]
You're right, getting the right QB is easier said than done. There is something to be said about reaching for one. Of course there is also something to be said for letting a good one pass. As 49ers fans we know a thing or two about that over the past two decades. All that being said, barring injuries I expect us not to end up with a top five pick. At worst I see another top ten pick. If that takes us out of the running for a perceived top QB then so be it. We need top flight talent at whatever position it becomes available to us. Ideally that is QB, but a #1WR or stud pass rusher will suffice if we can't get the QB.
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
You're right, getting the right QB is easier said than done. There is something to be said about reaching for one. Of course there is also something to be said for letting a good one pass. As 49ers fans we know a thing or two about that over the past two decades. All that being said, barring injuries I expect us not to end up with a top five pick. At worst I see another top ten pick. If that takes us out of the running for a perceived top QB then so be it. We need top flight talent at whatever position it becomes available to us. Ideally that is QB, but a #1WR or stud pass rusher will suffice if we can't get the QB.

Until they get the QB, they aren't going anywhere fast. You have to hope for a miraculous, all-time defense which will last for a couple of years before the wheels come off of that.

At some point they might have to bite the bullet and go all in for a QB if they really believe in him, ala the Rams and Eagles. So far the Rams decision is up in the air but the Eagles decision is looking like a homerun early on.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
New Orleans will mess around and win 7+ games like always. With Brees looking like he can play 2-3 more years I doubt they go QB early.

Cleveland and Chicago absolutely. Chicago looks like the worst team in the NFC North.

Matching QBs with teams

DeShone Kizer-Cleveland. Big, strong armed QB, a much more talented version of Jason Campbell who played for Hue in Oakland.

Brad Kaaya-Chicago. More traditional pocket passer with good accuracy to all levels.

oh I hope it ends up that way. Deshaun Watson!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
In b4 someone posts "49ers / us"
Originally posted by FL9er:
Piggybacking off of jreff post in another thread, these are the teams that could be in the market for a young QB:

Chicago
New Orleans
Washington
Cleveland
NY Jets

The Jets are the only potential playoff team on the list. I know this is blasphemous to say, but if the 49ers have to pay a heavy price to move up to the top of the draft, I think they are better equipped to do it this time around. This team is going nowhere until they get a QB. Easier said than done.

My point was nobody needing a QB should be drafting in front of us, except for maybe Cleveland. So the idea of trading up might not even need to happen.
Originally posted by jreff22:
My point was nobody needing a QB should be drafting in front of us, except for maybe Cleveland. So the idea of trading up might not even need to happen.

Of course as we saw this year, someone might be contemplating trading up in front of you.
Originally posted by FL9er:

Chicago
New Orleans
Washington
Cleveland
NY Jets

There are other teams who could surprise people by wanting a QB like the Eagles last year. The Dolphins and Chargers come to mind.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Matching QBs with teams

This...I'd be fine with getting Watson who like you said fits Chip's offense perfectly. I really don't see NO going QB in the 1st and it really wouldn't surprise me if Cleveland go for a top passer over QB because money ball is running things... Kizer or Watson I'd be pumped.

Originally posted by Hysterikal:
There are other teams who could surprise people by wanting a QB like the Eagles last year. The Dolphins and Chargers come to mind.

I just don't see the Chargers moving up for a QB...the Eagles didn't have a franchise QB so that's different.

Tanniehill isn't the reason the blow IMO.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I just don't see the Chargers moving up for a QB...the Eagles didn't have a franchise QB so that's different.

I don't think the Dolphins take a QB either. Gase will get Tannehill rolling eventually. Chargers I think could draft a QB their coach could be fired and they may want to bring in Rivers eventual replacement. But I doubt they would trade up to make it happen.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I don't think the Dolphins take a QB either. Gase will get Tannehill rolling eventually. Chargers I think could draft a QB their coach could be fired and they may want to bring in Rivers eventual replacement. But I doubt they would trade up to make it happen.

Right I could see them looking for a development QB but not early in the draft.

Cleveland, Bears, SF, possibly Buffalo (if rex get's canned) those are the most obvious to me....If we can land Watson/Kizer and get a pass rusher like Fields I'd be happy.

Go for FA for a WR like Floyd/AJ and were in business
The problem with a lot of people on this board though is that they want a QB, but not enough to trade up and get one. That is the problem. If Watson is the "perfect" fit for Kelly, then you do whatever it takes to get him. Plain and Simple.

I would trade up to #1 overall and give up a king's ransom to get Watson.
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
The problem with a lot of people on this board though is that they want a QB, but not enough to trade up and get one. That is the problem. If Watson is the "perfect" fit for Kelly, then you do whatever it takes to get him. Plain and Simple.

I would trade up to #1 overall and give up a king's ransom to get Watson.

I would trade our 1st round draft pick for Garopollo
Share 49ersWebzone