LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Davis Webb, QB, California (formerly Texas Tech) 6'5 230 pounds

A natural thrower.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/16/nfl-executive-cals-davis-webb-is-best-quarterback-in-nfl-draft-class/

There's just something about him....

I know that ESPN analysts Bill Polian and (damn, I forget who) keep saying something about players who do well in the Senior Bowl always seem to do well in the NFL, and players who don't do well usually fail. Webb did very well in the Senior Bowl.

Coaches and front office put more stock in the week of practices than the actual games. Sometimes the best players ball out in the game, and sometimes they don't. I remember Jay Moore getting 3 sacks in the game, we draft him in the 4th rd, and I don't think he ever played a snap in the NFL.
http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/16/nfl-executive-cals-davis-webb-is-best-quarterback-in-nfl-draft-class/

I know that ESPN analysts Bill Polian and (damn, I forget who) keep saying something about players who do well in the Senior Bowl always seem to do well in the NFL, and players who don't do well usually fail. Webb did very well in the Senior Bowl.

QB playing in an Air Raid struggling with his consistency. Accuracy, touch and footwork are all major concerns. He threw shorter than pretty much every other QB in this draft and still had a pedestrian completion percentage.

System quarterback with more than 65 percent of his attempts coming inside of 10 yards.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 16, 2017 at 7:17 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Coaches and front office put more stock in the week of practices than the actual games. Sometimes the best players ball out in the game, and sometimes they don't. I remember Jay Moore getting 3 sacks in the game, we draft him in the 4th rd, and I don't think he ever played a snap in the NFL.

Most scouts and coaches leave before the game is even played. Its the week of practices that they focus their evaluations on largely.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Most scouts and coaches leave before the game is even played. Its the week of practices that they focus their evaluations on largely.

It makes sense too. There is a certain degree of randomness to the game. Guys rotating in and out. Only been together for a week. Very simplistic game planning. Hard to learn much from it. The practices and drills on the other hand are designed to scout for specific skills teams are looking for.

I would imagine that they have to do well in practice to do well in the game. You have to pick up enough in practice to gain the Coaches confidence. Then, if you also excel during the pressure of the game....

Yeah, I remember that draft, we had like 20 4th round picks.....all bums I believe
I would imagine that they have to do well in practice to do well in the game. You have to pick up enough in practice to gain the Coaches confidence. Then, if you also excel during the pressure of the game....

True, if they do really well in the practices and then show up big in the game, thats a great week.

I think the best QB during the practices was Peterman, and most considered him to be the best QB at the Senior Bowl going in. Don't think thats changed since, but Davis Webb now has people talking because of his physical talent and performance during the game. I personally wouldn't take him until Day 3, and view him primarily as a backup QB.
Originally posted by Viperboy:
Yeah, I remember that draft, we had like 20 4th round picks.....all bums I believe

Yeah, one of those picks was Dashon Goldson, the other 2 iirc were Moore and Joe Cohen (who?) lol
This is just getting weird. Now some anonymous exec is saying to sneak him out of the top of the first round.
Apparently there won't be any dodgy QBs to choose from at #34 because there will be a run on every one of them this year.

meh.
Originally posted by 5Jan2003:
This is just getting weird. Now some anonymous exec is saying to sneak him out of the top of the first round.
Apparently there won't be any dodgy QBs to choose from at #34 because there will be a run on every one of them this year.

I highly doubt there will be slim pickings at the QB position at 34. Team will favor specific qbs. They won't pick a QB just because someone said he thinks he's the best QB in the draft.

we had 3 fourth round picks. It was actually a good draft, really good.

Willis, Staley, Jason Hill, Ray Mac, Jay Moore, Dashon Goldson, Cohen, Tarrell Brown, Thomas Clayton.

Ill take another draft like that lol
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:

we had 3 fourth round picks. It was actually a good draft, really good.

Willis, Staley, Jason Hill, Ray Mac, Jay Moore, Dashon Goldson, Cohen, Tarrell Brown, Thomas Clayton.

Ill take another draft like that lol

Had really high hopes for local boy Jason Hill but oh well. That draft was damn good, 4 starters on a top 5 defense in 1 draft
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
If I had to pick a mid-lower round QB, I would definitely take Davis Webb over Nathan Peterman.
Share 49ersWebzone